Tesla and Depreciation

Came across this today on twitter and am curious to see other people’s reactions (or solutions)…

1 Like

If that was me, I’d make sure I have at least $173k in play money before buying a $173k car.

30 Likes

Looks like he ticked all the boxes in the order page without thinking about how to pay it off… About the depreciation, I think his problem is paying almost exotic car money for a non-exotic car.

3 Likes

I believe this is textbook example of having more dollars than sense.

Buy a $173k golf cart, and be surprised when nobody will pay more than $75k in a year?

Caveat emptor, baby.

:bat:

11 Likes

His best bet is private sale to get the most out of it, but the dude is going to take a hit no matter what. It’s the same tale from people who buy a shiny new car only to find that they are upside down on a loan, only except this dude did it with a ~175k vehicle instead of a ~60k pickup truck.

It’s also quite telling about that person’s financial acumen that the moment they lose their job they are thinking about selling their vehicle; what happened to saving some money for a rainy day?

1 Like

Word. If a $2,xxx payment once or twice is gonna break you, you’d better be careful signing up for it.

The neighbors you tried so hard to impress aren’t gonna be there to help with your super cool electric minivan payment when you get “right-sized.”

7 Likes

Hahahahaha. Who in their right mind would expect that car to hold its value well. Bet he has no play money because he went long on $TSLA call options at FUNDING SECURED!

6 Likes

i’d take the 84k and get a 50k personal loans. lot of c/u do it.
or hope to god it gets stolen.

4 Likes

but but but but but but Elon said that my car would APPRECIATE in value. And he wouldn’t lie, right?

7 Likes

Turn on autopilot, drive toward a cliff, jump out and blame autopilot while insurance writes it off.

6 Likes

Since it’s not a lease, and I assume he doesn’t have GAP, insurance would only pay ACV, which probably doesn’t help things.

This person is a forward thinker. How can you assume no gap insurance?:rofl:

7 Likes

Gotta love this roast lol :popcorn:

1 Like

To think the one guy on here with the $900 per month Pilot had it bad… Imagine taking a $53k bath on a car you couldn’t afford in the first place.

3 Likes

I didn’t feel bad for $900 pilot guy. I feel less bad for $2,300 Tesla dude.

7 Likes

Hmmm, an irresponsible consumer overextends himself, pays $175k for a Tesla (lol, lol, lolololololol), and now can’t cover the monthly nut - pardon me for lacking sympathy.

The real issue I see is this is pretty standard with most American consumers for almost anything (this is a perfect example). Debt to income doesn’t look bad right now, but if we hit a recession, it’ll be a nuclear bomb when layoffs and overextended consumers like this yuk yuk start imploding.

6 Likes

First world problems. Perhaps a 6 month emergency fund would have been a good idea before spending a mortgage payment on a car (any car really, not just a Tesla).

5 Likes

I configured one in Tesla site and the most expensive model x is $125K if i am not missing anything.

1 Like

Let’s not let facts get in the way of our fun, now . . .

4 Likes

Same, interesting (actually, I’m at $124k, you prob did red since that was the most expensive, but even just on a configuration, still couldn’t do red).

Prob some older model that was scrapped bc this was one of 47 idiots dumb enough to buy it.

1 Like