Tesla and Depreciation

He prob configured solar into his quote too :rofl:

1 Like

80K offer on a 125k car with 12k miles is still bad but not too far off compared to other brands.

Is GAP only common on leases? I vaguely remember being offered GAP on my 4Runner purchase years ago, but I put a fairly large DP, so GAP wasn’t necessary.

1 Like

You’re missing that Tesla has redone their pricing for the Model X.

This was a “fully loaded” Model X from mid 2018, and the MSRP was at $163,000. Add the 6 seat option and the fancy red paint and yeah $173k is within the realm of possibility.

2 Likes

Have they considered selling it back to Tesla and taking a LOC for the remainder? Sure beats repo.

That’s an insane payment.

1 Like

Yeah , I remember pricing changed quite a bit. Carmax etc is probably using current new price as a basis to make their offers though …,

This reminds me a lot of the current 4 series situation where the incentives (err, market correction) are dumping resale values into the shitter even worse than they already were.

We’ll be lucky is a new F32 car is worth 40% RV at the end of a 3yr lease.

This isn’t a Tesla issue.

This is an issue of someone buying more car they can afford and failing to account for unplanned situations, such as job losses.

10 Likes

I’m just trying to imagine what kind of money I’d need to make to afford a 2300 per month payment plus other living expenses, and then wonder how losing my job would instantly make me try to unload it. He must not have much of a pad despite making crazy money.

Or he lives at home with mom and dad and a decent salary was taking care of it.

Either way there’s a lesson here and it’s pretty obvious.

Or he’s renting in the most expensive SF pad there is for like $5k in a one bedroom on the brink of ruin.

That’s sounds about right to me if I was guessing.

Wow. If he doesn’t even have the savings for a couple months of payments that is sad. Living paycheck to paycheck with a $2400 car payment is insanity

5 Likes

I bought a new car when I was 20. F+I tried telling me the sale was contingent on me buying gap. When I told him that was highly illegal, magically the financing went through and he threw it in for free.

Wonder if that was the last time he tried to scam a 20 year old kid :thinking:

Musk would gladly buy it back for his 1,000,000 robotaxi fleet by next year. I’m almost positive of it :grin:

1 Like

the $53k is just the current negative equity.

The real loss is the total depreciation. Since he paid a total of $173k and now it’s worth $84k, The way I look at it - I calculate the real loss at $89k.

That’s over $10k per month loss - but oh that new car smell !

2 Likes

So this guy paid $173k for a car that is now even cheaper because telsa lower prices on their cars? That’s crazy. At least with a Mercedes S you know that next year the brand new one will cost the same, here you can get a brand new one for cheaper.

1 Like

But but but you can’t put a price on rolling around in a $173k Model X (imo, the ugliest Tesla they make) - think about how good he felt!!! Well worth $10 a month!

So $89k divided by 365 days = a scant $243 per day to end up nervous and scared.

Oh, and if it’s in SoCal, you can’t swing a dead :cat2: in a circle without hitting a Tesla (I pronounce it Prius) thingy of some sort, so not even an exclusive ride.

Well done, buyer!

:bat:

2 Likes

Of course they did, the new pricing means you can buy a brand new one for that price, obviously it’s going to put downward pressure on older used models.

Infiniti did that once right after I leased my G37 sedan. Was I glad that I leased instead of purchased!

Only issue here is that the dude bought a car he couldn’t afford. Tesla, like any for profit business, will sell their vehicles for maximum price reasonably possible. Over time, as early adopters got their cars, yes, the price dropped. It’s not much different than new sports cars that sell from a dealership well above MSRP when demand is high, then drop to significantly below MSRP awhile later. Difference is Tesla is retaining that extra profit/markup, rather than the dealership.