Success -- Jaguar F-Type S Coupe MSRP $87k || $506/mo

EDIT: See contract - updated to higher quality

Hi Hackrs,

Sharing my deal from the weekend. Just finally made it back from a cross-country tour to pick up and drive back my new F-Type. I was able to sign and drive for just over $500/mo. This is definitely the hardest I’ve ever had to work for a deal, and I had a whirlwind of a weekend trying to make this deal work with the most incompetent dealership in the country. I nearly flew out and walked away the same day. My agreed upon payment of $450 turned into $506 when I arrived at the dealership across the country, which was frustrating. But without the help of @carddicted, I would have walked out empty handed – he is an incredibly stand up dude, and I owe him a huge “thank you” for helping me make this work (crossing my fingers there are no other issues).

Here’s the breakdown:

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: [2017 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe Automatic]

MSRP: [$87k]
Selling Price: [$64k]
Rebates: [$3k Retention offer]
Trade-in: [$0]

Months: [39]
Annual Mileage: [10,000]

MF: [.00018]
Residual: [55%]

Security Deposit: [$0]
Total Due At Signing: [$0]
Monthly Payment [$506]
Monthly Payment (incl. tax): [$554]

Zip Code: [91607]
Sales Tax Rate: [9.5%]

Will post pictures here and in the trophy garage at a later date. The car is a mess right now between the bug splatter and bird poop. I will not name the dealership as I would never recommend them to my worst enemy. It was also their last 2017. But if you’re in the market and have questions, I’m happy to help.

A couple of first impressions of the car for those interested:

This thing is so fast it’s frightening. Handling is superb and it’s incredible to drive. The roar is invigorating and speeding is effortless. In fact, I had a couple of cops pull up next to me and signal me to slow down. Many thanks to them for not giving me a ticket, but thank goodness for the R3.

While I wouldn’t recommend 24 straight hours in it (or any car for that matter), I do think it’s pretty comfortable for a little coupe. The infotainment system kind of sucks. Link to backup camera.

17 Likes

Congrats. Amazing deal. Now turn your attention to finding me a 530e demo!

Ha! The energy is gone from my body… Give me a week to recharge before I can even think about another lease :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you still have Genesis? Is this a weekend car or DD?

Yep, have both. I’ll probably rotate between the two. Am actually going to be selling my third car to make room for the Jag in the garage. Have to figure that out this week… I was thinking about picking up a C300 but it’ll just be too much car to deal with. I’ll re-evaluate when the Genesis is almost up.

I’m in a similar boat. I have a Boxster as my leisure car and currently a VW Passat diesel that I’m selling back to VW as part of the diesel class action. I’m looking at a BMW 530 as a replacement for the VW (my wife has an E300 and I like German variety).

I’m just jealous you have enough space for 3 cars. Trying to sell my old one is going to be such a doozy since SoCal only has so much parking space… I’m too nervous to park it on the street since it’s no longer insured. Gotta get the listing up tomorrow.

I haven’t looked a ton into the 5 series yet, but I’ll probably take a peak through Cargurus and see how common loaners are.

Former LA resident. Certainly know the hassle. Enjoy the F-Type - truly great deal.

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

2 Likes

Finally ready for the SoCal F-Type meetup!

1 Like

Congrats! How did you get them down so much on MSRP? Any tips? :slight_smile:

I’ve been talking to a dealer 2 hours away round-trip about a $92k MSRP 2017 convertible in northern california. They don’t seem to want to budge on price, at lease over email. Actually, the dealer keeps trying to get me to come in to “test drive and talk” and I keep telling him I want to do the deal by email, like 1,000 times, I’m not going to drive 2 hours just for a sales pitch… such a pain in the ass (I’ve already test drove a similar model)

I’m patient - I’m going to wait until towards the end of February and try again.

Congrats and prepare yourself for the next 8-12 months of ppl seeing this thread and asking for the dealers info over and over :rofl:

1 Like

CONGRATS!!! I know this was a lengthly process, enjoy the new car.

1 Like

Holy crap, they changed the price on you? (hopefully it wasn’t an NY dealer they really make a bad name for themselves, I much more enjoy negotiating in California) Would have literally keyed all of the jags in the dealer and said “Catch me outside, How bout dat”

7 Likes

Congrats. What a deal!!!

How does leasing out of state work? Are the residuals/MF based on your home location? How about taxes…what is it based on? Do you leave the dealership with the dealers home state plate/tag and then re-register in your home state?

Based on where it’s registered yes

Yeah it was a total nightmare. The salesman was probably one of the most unintelligent people I’ve ever had to deal with. Didn’t know anything about the car. I had to spoon feed all the numbers so he could put calculations together. I’ll have to show you my text and email threads (or inaudible voicemails) at some point. We were both native English speakers, yet the language barrier was unbelievable.

1 Like

Yep, all figures are based on where the car is registered (which in my case will be SOCAL).

I have to get a smog check here in CA so they can get it registered with the DMV. I have temp papers that expire in 2 months.

I had no luck with NorCal, which is why I had to travel so far. Some dealers are ready to deal, and there aren’t. You’ll probably either have to wait it out or try another place.

In fact, I might have a lead for you. PM me the car you’ve got your eye on and what price you’ve got them down to. I might be able to beat it.

Edit: I’ll kindly add that this isn’t an open invitation for PMs to find a deal. I’m not a broker, just a hobbyist. And I only have one specific car in mind - beyond that, I’m useless.

Congrat!! Post some pics…