2017 F-Type R Help

Still trying to find a great deal on 2017 F-Type R. With the 2018s rolling out with the updated front, I am assuming that dealers are going to be somewhat aggressive on pricing.

Local dealer has offered me the following:

113k msrp
7k down
985/month
12k/39 month lease

He mentioned that the above offer was with him throwing in some tax savings which I am interpreting as a tax credit.

I live in Texas so I have to pay full tax on a lease so it is a bit of an uphill battle to begin with but even considering that, this deal doesn’t seem to be too good to me.

He hasn’t told me MF/residual he is using but from Edmunds it appears that this month they are .00001 and 53%.

If you don’t include the 7k down payment and assume best-case MF (which I doubt they are using), it is showing that the car only has like a 12k rebate off of MSRP. This is close to meeting the 1% rule but I feel like I can do much better.

Any thoughts?

Without knowing what the tax is, at a glance that looks like a very ugly deal that they’re trying to gouge you with.

What is the sales price of the vehicle? I wouldn’t even considering biting unless it’s under $90,000. Dealers need to move their 2017 inventory, so don’t play into their hands.

What is the total tax? If you can break down all of the details, I can help you understand what to look for and what it all means. You should be asking your salesman for these numbers so you can fill out the following:

MSRP: [$113k]
Selling Price:
Rebates:
Trade-in:

Months: [39]
Annual Mileage: [12,000]

MF:
Residual:

Security Deposit:
Total Due At Signing:
Monthly Payment:
Monthly Payment (incl. tax):
Total Taxes and Fees:

Considering someone got an $87k F Type S for $506/month with zero down, I’d say this is a terrible deal.

Wow that guy sure got a steal of a deal!

4 Likes

Sales tax is 6.25% in Texas and it applies to the entire MSRP. Yeah, it sucks.

I am trying to get specifics out of him but this is the 6th dealership I have contacted and every one is playing hard ball and dodging my questions.

I also noticed that there are several F-Type R incentives out according to autobytel, there is a bonus cash of $2,000, a $5,900 F-Type Lease Cash, and a F-Type dealer cash of $7,500. It seems like just applying those alone plus a decent MSRP discount should yield better results than that.

Starting to look outside of Texas and also contacting a broker tomorrow. This stuff is exhausting and I’m not very good at it apparently.

Agreed, and I understand the feel. I had to shout at my salesman several times (bless his heart - I honestly think he has issues) to get anything out of him and still was left with several questions. But I eventually got enough of the picture to know where the numbers would fall. I’d suggest drafting a note explicitly asking for each detail and having him fill in the blanks. Very similar to what I posted to you. Have him fill in those fields so you can see exactly what details there are. And if he doesn’t comply, just let him know that you’re interested in purchasing from a salesman with full transparency, and if that isn’t something they can offer, you’d rather look elsewhere. Sometimes they’ll try to continue dodging it, but other times they’ll try to save it and start spitting out numbers.

Specifically, I’d just ask them to please fill out the figures for the below so I can see exactly what numbers are playing into this lease price:

Selling Price:
Incentives applied:
Residual:
Money Factor:
Dealer doc fees:
Acquisition fee:

My overall recommendation would be to seek out a sales price under $90k (aim for 22-25%), make sure you know the exact residual and MF (this comes from Edmunds), and then you can make assumptions about where the payments would land with the LH calculator. If their payment is dramatically different, then you’ve got to figure out why.

Thanks. I will try to do this. Problem is whenever I start trying to talk specifics these dealers flat-out won’t reply to my emails or phone calls. I guess they figure there are a dozen schmucks out there who they can swindle into a bad lease and I’m not worth their time. Leasing in Texas sucks.

Oh, I know. Try to create a sense of urgency. When I danced with them last weekend, I made it very clear that I was ready to hop on the next flight. They started to take me a little more seriously once they realized I wasn’t playing games. I should show you my text history with my salesman, you’d have a good laugh. It was like communicating with a 4 year old. Unfortunately you just have to be persistent and let them know this is a guaranteed sale if they want it. Harass them for those numbers with calls, emails, texts – go into the dealership, etc.

1 Like

Yeah congrats on the awesome deal! Your post actually really gave me some good inspiration and a rough idea of what to look for. I think I’m still going to contact the broker tomorrow because it sounds like it is a lot of work either way and if a broker can get something similar I will happily pay him/her a finder’s fee.

He came back with 895/month when I started asking about what incentives were added. He also said that he doesn’t want to get caught up in the specifics of a lease cause there are too many variables. lol.

@needacar123 I posted one in @dukez thread in Richmond VA that had 10k advertised off MSRP, as @dukez pointed out you need another 10k off that to start the convo, but on a car like this expanding the search may help.

He doesn’t want to get caught up in specifics because he’s not being transparent tell him to take a hike lol he came back $90 less when you ask about incentives that’s $3500 throughout the lease term

Just be firm and say you’re not interested in all the variables- just the ones you asked for. But if he’s not willing then just let him know you’re moving on to work with a more honest salesman.

1 Like

Thanks for the lead. I will keep an eye on it.

@dukez I will also email back the dealer I have been talking to saying that I need more specifics. I fully expect him to ghost on me like the rest have when I push for this info though haha.

I’m hoping that the broker I am speaking to tomorrow can help me with this but if forever reason he is unable to work with F-Types I guess I will be back to doing this on my own and will lean on the help of all of you great people. :slight_smile:

Still contacting dealers…

Quick question. According to Edmunds, there are several incentives this month for 2017 F-Type Rs. They include:

$2,000 Bonus Credit
$7,500 F-Type Dealer Cash
$5,400 Lease Cash
$20,000 ATS Retailer Cash
$11,000 Owner Loyalty

From what I understand, ATS Retailer Cash is just for purchases, not leases. And obviously owner loyalty doesn’t apply unless you own a Jag.

What about the other three? Do all of these stack?

Several people have IMed me asking about if I have had any luck. Figured I would just post here as an update:

I have emailed/called about 25 different dealerships. None have been willing to play ball yet. Funny thing is that one of my local dealerships here in Texas has offered the best deal so far.

The most common theme is that I reach out to the dealership and they give me an absolutely ridiculous number. When I come back mentioning that their money factor is multiple factors higher than the minimum, their “rebate” is simply manufacturing incentives with no MSRP discount, etc. they typically ignore me from there on out.

I have hired a broker to help in the search. So far nothing has come up. Apparently, a lot of Jag dealerships aren’t willing to work with Texas residents.

The search continues!

Whats their problem with texas residents?

I guess some dealerships don’t want to deal with making sure that they properly do the tax and fee paperwork to fulfill the tax obligations here in Texas.

I had a similar experience to yours as far as dealers go who are willing to play ball. TX is its own beast but sometimes that’s where the deals are.

Some of the TX dealers have tax credits which are pretty significant on a 100k car. But then they turn around and are asking $1,200/month which more than cancels it out. Very frustrating.