Speed limits - FL

Coming back up from FL now and have to do 85+ just to keep up with the traffic😂
Have same mindset of 75 in 55

1 Like

That sounds like Mad Max movie setting😂

My drive home with my new car from Texas was so eye-opening. I was going a minimum of 75 on most of the highways from Texas to Tennessee, averaging probably 80-85 and wasn’t even usually the fastest person on the road by a long shot. It must be nice living in places that aren’t nanny states.

4 Likes

I can concur as a local…

2 Likes

Flow of traffic

1 Like

I spent time in California and lived in Phoenix - Phoenix the rule was don’t do 20 over but no one will stop you if you do. Right lane could have guys going 95 to 100 in it. I’d know: I went 95 to 100. Imagine drivers from all over the country put on one very fast moving highway. What a mess.

Back in the Midwest and I feel like you: so slow, so many old Mustangs, Camaros, modded Challengers with fake DoDDgE DeMoNN stickers on them peacocking, so much MOVE OUT OF THE WAY.

1 Like

great user name

This is true. The worst offenders passing in the right lanes in SoFla are the crappiest, modded tin boxes like old Civics, Nissan Sentras, old Hyundais and Corollas. Usually with balding tires and one bumper part flapping in the wind. Average age about 20.

The second most dangerous down here would be crazy contract guys with 3rd tier delivery vans, trucks and pickups with no safety features and nothing bolted down in the cargo hold.

1 Like

Police Benevolence Assoc. I need to get a plate for my next car.

The legendary Florida Man in a clapped out Altima.

I set my cruise to 85 on the NY Thruway and have not had a problem yet.

1 Like

This is the rule of thumb in S FL
If limit is 60 it means 75
If 65 it means 85
If 70 it means there’s no speed limit

6 Likes

I stay far away from them in Chicago. They have nothing to lose in their $500 crap box and will probably run anyways if they hit you.

The rule about 70 felt about right.

2 Likes

Get UM coverage :grinning:

reason 1 why I refuse to ever rent an Altima

1 Like

I have coverage up to $300k, but still not worth dealing with the headache after and it isn’t easy to replace a Porsche in this market.

whatever car you have get $100k/$300k coverage if you live here. the lawyers will come after everything when you eventually get in an accident and our dumbass no-fault laws come into play.

also, get a dashcam.

Southeast FL? Middle and Left Lanes are for Mad Max speeds. Chill in the right lane if you want 60 or 65mph. That’s usually what I do, and let all the crazies drive past me.

I would say the problem with FL’s I95 is there is no symmetry. People just be weaving in and out of traffic in whatever lane they feel like. And they cut the gaps too close when changing lanes.
Again, chilling in the right lane at speed limit is fine, and gives no headaches.

Keep in mind 1 in 4 cars on the road here is uninsured/underinsured. All that said, if you’re looking to fly, you can do it here.

Speeding Tokyo Drift GIF by The Fast Saga

3 Likes

In South FL, in the turnpike as long as you are driving under 80 mph trooper wont pull you over. Anything past 80, they coming for you. This applies also to I-75 and Palmetto 826. If I am driving faster than 80, gotta have Waze open and your eyes open. :grinning:

right lane is chill but then you have the hoopties going 80 on the shoulder half the time. You have to watch out for falling bumpers and wheel covers.

1 Like