Sold one to VROOM!

If you figure the Vroom transaction may take a month, then you’ll pay another lease payment.

One lease payment + $395 fees + excess mileage + car insurance savings greater than $600?

Just called Vroom and confirmed with them they, like Carvana, are no longer buying out Volvo leases :frowning:

1 Like

one more data point here. I was getting a bit excited when vroom offered GLC (4 month till mature, originally RV was 35.5k) for 35k while MBFS has a payoff quote of 32k, then i called MBFS they said the payoff quote already includes my MSDs into consideration. (~$5k)

we are going to return the car to dealer (and i guess the original lease deal was a good deal :slight_smile: )

(this forum is great!)

Final update (hopefully) with my AFS lease to Vroom: Vroom picked up car 2/9, sent payoff check to AFS on 2/11, wasn’t received until 2/18 due to storms/delays, 10-day payoff was good through 2/12, had to call AFS 7 times to get them to update my account and zero it out. On latest call, learned that vroom didn’t send odometer disclosure with payoff check which led to the delay, and AFS didn’t have any address to send the title to (they were going to send it to me). Everything was finally updated today, with title being sent out to Vroom. Long and annoying process, but finally complete.

Not sure if this makes sense. Your RV has nothing to do with your MSDs, so if your residual value is $35k, that should be your payoff PLUS MSDs.

Meaning, if vroom pays off the balance $35k balance, MB has to send you a check for the MSDs separately…

…unless I’m missing something.

While RV has nothing to do with MSD, the payoff does.

Based on bigull’s info, the balance on his account would be 35.5k RV + 4 remaining payment (let’s say $400 for purpose of math) = 37.1k. After applying the 5k MSD, you get your payoff of 32k. If Vroom pays off 35k, bigull would only get about 3k back from MBFS.

I doubt bigull will get the whole 5k MSD back if he/she return the GLC today. Somebody has to pay for the remaining 4 payments on the lease. At the end of the day, the math is the same.

Finally completed my sale with Vroom. Initiated Feb 14th and received my payout check today March 10th. The weather issues in Houston really delayed the paperwork and carrier was a little spotty. I was hoping to be done in 2 weeks, but worth it since I got a good payout!

I sold my 2018 Lexus RX 350L. The process with Vroom was long and drawn out partially due to some of their over buying in 4Q and the ice storm in TX, but here is my timeline.

1/24/21 - quote accepted
1/27/21 - paper work sent to me via FedEx
1/28/21 - paper work sent back
2/2/21 - carrier assigned
2/12/21 - carrier reassigned Bc I couldn’t get an answer for 1.5 weeks from first
2/15-2/18 - ice storm
2/25/21 - vehicle actually picked up
3/2/21 - email saying checks sent
3/3/21 - I received my check
3/8/21 - Lexus received payment

I ended up making another payment due to delays in February, but all in all it was more money than Carvanna was offering by a lot. So now the wait for the overpayment to Lexus and my MSD refund.

The payments cease to exist when the lessor agrees to a sale. The lease agreement is terminated by both parties.

Saying this for your own good, so you can properly evaluate all your future leases going forward.

Whether the RV ends up being “accurate/low/high” relative to third party offers down the line has almost no bearing on whether your lease deal was good or not.

1 Like

The payments “cease” because they are added to the buyout, so it is more like “accelerated”. You may get some credit for the unearned interest.

I see what you’re saying. I misunderstood the original comment to mean someone would remain liable for the payments after the buyout.

I just received my termination invoice from AFS, and is the “fair market wholesale value” the same thing as the 10-day payoff that was sent to Vroom? Thanks.

thanks, yes you are right, RV has nothing to do with all this.

Few data points from my experience selling to VROOM. Went into this super nervous as VROOM seems hit or miss and Carvana seems a lot more pleasant for sellers.

2018 BMW M2 - 20,000 miles. Barely drive the thing since working remotely full time now.

VROOMs offer was the highest. It came in just 2k under Kelly Blue Book private sale. Carvana’s offer was $500 less. SHIFT and my local BMW dealership wasn’t even in the same ball park (offensive offers lol).

Car is practically paid off and rather not entertain a bunch of tire kickers via private sale. So gladly accepted VROOM.

I put average condition for the exterior even though I’d say it was above average and practically flawless. The difference was only $300 and I figured it was better to take that hit than have them fuss over a tiny imperfection.

3/1 received my offer
3/1 verification of ownership submitted
3/2 obtained payoff letter from bank, DocuSign docs signed, Fedex power of attorney shipped
3/3 Fedex POA received and immediately returned
3/4 received schedule pickup email asking for my availability and a carrier assigned
3/9 vehicle picked up
3/11 payment shipped to me
3/13 I received my check
3/15 my bank received its check

As others have said I had to reach out to the shipper to get them to act and schedule after a few days of silence. After I did they scheduled for the next day but actually ended up showing up same day. Which I was ok with.

The person who picked up my car was great. Didn’t do any inspection that I was aware of. Had me drive it up to the trailer and he took it from there.

All in all a pleasant experience. The biggest PIA was not being able to mobile deposit the check anywhere because of how big it is.

Few observations/thoughts.

• I thought about just paying off the tiny bit remaining on my loan to avoid payment confusion if VROOM dragged this thing out. But decided to accept offer on same day of making a payment. Providing a 30 day cushion.
  • looks like the car is getting sent to Manheim based on the sticker I had to put in the window. which is interesting
  • I didn’t remove the car from the BMW app until receiving my payoff and the sale was officially over. Sure enough it’s location was Mannheim still in CA.

JFC how many many middlemen are going to take a piece of this car before it reaches its next owner

Vroom
Mannheim
Retail dealer

I thought they’d for sure try to retail a low mileage (albeit not C or CS) M2 with a clean carfax and exterior/interior. But I’m sure whatever algorithm they’re using told them something different.

I also heard rumors that they’ll bid on their own cars and buy them from themselves (huh? I know right) if they don’t clear a certain threshold.

My experience has finally ended with vroom. It started on Feb 18th and ended today with my check for what was owed to me. Overall, the experience was good, but it was delayed due to the Texas ice storm. I had to call them after a week to send paperwork again because it wasn’t moving on tracking. They were always friendly and great to deal with. They listed my car well over a week ago even though it was just picked on Monday. Shipping was a PITA. I constantly had to call acertus and vroom to get the ball rolling in getting my car picked up. If it wasn’t for the shipping end and the ice storm, this would have only taken 2 weeks.

Obviously this is general statement and not a rule, but I noticed they do not seem interested in highline cars. They are always $10k under auction on my 2020 M4 (I like to see for fun) and every time I put a Porsche in there, they are typically $5k under what we would pay a customer if they traded it in. Most of these online services seem to want to sell stuff in the $10k-$40k range.

That kinda inventory probably doesn’t move quickly enough for their business model.

2 Likes