Sold one to CarMax

:slight_smile: no luck in this case

I agree. No one from Carmax said that HMF doesn’t allow to buy their leased cars. Carmax doesn’t want to buy them for i think obvious reason (waiting time for title?:thinking:) . But now they can buy leased MB.

That’s why I said that you should’ve tried multiple locations. I advised my relatives do the same and they scheduled appointments at two more locations in case their first Carmax still wouldn’t work. But hey, you only left $1k on the table lol

I think slightly less, knowing that i need to drive two cars there. For sure if the difference would be much bigger i would try to sell it in different location. BTW which location Your relative sold to? Just for future reference

Wayne, NJ, I think.
Esteemed @trusted_hackrs - can you move replies to the first @Zenek’s post to “sold to carmax” just to keep on topic of Rodo?

1 Like

Curious if in anyone’s experience that the offer is going to be different by location based on what you’re selling them. I’m pretty close to three different Carmaxes.

Logic would say if they have something similar to what I’m selling on the lot then the offer would be lower than a location without something similar. But it’s such a big player I wonder if the offers are the offers regardless.

For what’s it’s worth I sold to one location and shortly after looks like they moved it to another store about 30 miles away. I doubt they pay any more based on locations within 200 miles or so considering they have a fleet of transporters to move stuff around.

4 Likes

Just sold a leased (Chase bank) 2020 Subbie to Carmax in Wayne NJ. Online quote came in just under $23k and after visual inspection it reduced $0 from original quote. $$$ in the bank.

You can keep doing new quotes on the website as many times as you want. Try changing zip codes too. I’ve had a swing or +/- $500 in a day just doing new quotes. I think I’ve found once you bring the car in for an in person quote- it locks something in their system and the online qoute just says “we’d love to see your car for an in person appraisal” or something along those lines. Also- if you get a quote for 25k and the next quote is 24.5k, just bring in the quote/email of the 25k one and they will honor that as it has a unique code at the bottom of the email.

2 Likes

They never saw my car yet give me the same message every time I try online quote.

3 Likes

Damm i might do the same to get a tesla m3

1 Like

How long do you need to wait before you sell to a 3rd party?

I just used Carmax to buy out my 2020 Lexus NX300 Lease. My payoff was $26400, and Carmax’s online appraisal gave me $36000 so they cut me a check for about $9600!! The transaction couldn’t have been easier, scheduled an appointment, met with the appraiser who checked the car and spoke w/ the Toyota Lease company and that’s it. Also sometimes it pays to wait because I checked last month and it was appraised at $34400 so the prices do fluctuate. Also I thought that I would have gotten a bit less because there were a few light scratches and dings, but I didn’t get penalized for them. I also tried Carvana and Vroom but they didn’t even come close to matching Carmax.

7 Likes

Nice! I sold my IS lease last week to Carmax, in and out in about 45 mins. Straight forward process. Hoping MSDs are released back to me once carmax pays off LFS.

MSDs are usually included in your buyout quote.

This is what I thought initially as well. LFS rep confirmed over the phone the MSDs are not included in the buyout price, keeping fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Should be easy to tell from your online account what your current payoff is, and whether MSD are being deducted from that.

Sold 2022 Mazda CX-30 Select,13300 miles for $25400. MSRP was $25900!! No change from online quote. Took 45 min to inspect and another 20-30 mins for the check. I don’t understand this used car business but happy to walk away with the check

6 Likes

last year I was offered 29,200 for my 28k MSRP camry. should have sold it then but couldn’t find anything to replace with. Carmax just offered me 23, but I am going to keep it now

Bought out my 2020 Pilot Touring lease after 39 months a few weeks ago. Got the title situated and sold to CarMax for $34400. Buyout was $25500 after I paid tax and instant title fee. Payments were $448/month for 39 months= $17,472…subtract the $9k equity I got back and it cost me $218/ month for 39 months for that 2020 Pilot touring…pretty decent deal lol

4 Likes