Sold one to CarMax

The lease buyout amount (which you obtain online) is the amount, there are no ‘hidden payments’ left. It will be more than your Residual Value since you are turning it in early.

And Chrysler is very friendly to lease sales. VERY friendly

Thanks! So in your opinion sell now and take the money or get two more months worth of use out of it?

Sell now, the price will probably take a dump in 2 months.

1 Like

So yes the 5 remaining lease payments are taken into consideration in your 10 day buy off (minus rent and some other fees), but the car isn’t yours anymore at that point. There may be a disposition fee hidden in the contract but you should definitely walk away with a check for whatever Carmax buys your car for, vs the buy off. Say Carmax offers 40k and your buyout/payoff is 30k, you get a nice fat check for 10k for the different and go right to the bank.

Definitely sell now. I’m not a fortune teller but all the signs are there for the used car market to fully collapse in the next month, but nothing has been happening according to real world math and numbers for the past 3 years.

Anyone recently sold their Lexus lease to carmax? Wondering if LFS still allows 3rd party buyout? TIA

This is from Carmax.com

Do you buy leased cars?

Yes! In most cases, you can sell your leased car in almost the same way as any other financed car. We’ll appraise the car, then contact the leasing company for a payoff quote and process any equity you might have. Please note that CarMax cannot purchase a vehicle currently leased through the following companies: Nissan Motor Acceptance, Infiniti Financial Services, Honda Finance, Southeast Toyota Financial, GM Financial, Ford Credit, Mazda Credit, World Omni, Volvo Financial, Lincoln Credit, Acura Financial, Hyundai Motor Financial, Kia Motor Finance, BMW Financial Services and Tesla. Also, be aware that your leased car might not be eligible for trade-in tax savings. Check with your leasing company for co

2 Likes

Thank you.

Update to my original inquiry…

Sold one to Carmax!

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X
5 Months remaining on the lease
My local Jeep dealer offered me a trade in value of $35,000 and a payoff amount of $31,000. This would have netted me $4,000 which would have been rolled into a new lease through their dealership.
I did my due diligence and requested appraisals from Carvana and Carmax. Carmax ended up offering $41,000 with a $30,900 payoff amount.
I signed the deal yesterday and was cut a check for $10,100. Now I’m free to get a new lease at any dealership that I choose.
In my opinion the drivers of the offer were 1) I had only used 25,000 of the 42,000 miles allowed. 2) The Limited X is one of the rarest GC trims and 3) The v-8 upgrade.
I did notice that Carmax doesn’t necessarily factor in all of the upgrade options. For instance, they asked if I have cruise control. I actually have adaptive cruise control but that was not an option to select. Also, had a $5,000ish premium package which I don’t believe was factored in either but I don’t know this for sure. (When filling out my appraisal information some packages needed to be manually checked as applicable but not all upgrades from the original sticker sheet where available for selection. It’s possible this was rolled into the offer automatically.)
Overall the deal was pretty smooth and I’m happy to have $10,100 than I would have had if I just returned the car in August.

2 Likes

Now do you want a Murano? It’s going on firesale right now with Clutch Broker

It would be for my wife so if she’s okay driving one, I’m open to listening to offers. I will say I am hesitant to lease through an AZ dealership again. When leasing my BMW, I found CA dealers to offer much more competitive pricing.

Well if you can get a $300 Murano in CA. Go for it! Otherwise talk to Clutch, he has several threads here.

Yeah the Murano was a hard no. Must be why they’re so cheap

Murano sad :cry:

Don’t bother.

After extending my Mazda CX-9 lease a full 6 months it was time for another vehicle. Carmax offered the most @$ 25,600. Dealer buyout through Chase Financial was just above $20,800. I was in and out the door at my local Carmax office in just under an hour.

I’ve sold 2 Lexus leases to CarMax and 2 other leases to Carvana. Currently, Carvana is offering considerably more than Carmax on my 22 ES. My last Lexus sale to Carmax was in January of 2022. Carvana by far is the easiest experience I’ve ever encountered with selling a car but only because Carmax requires you to come into their facility for a detailed inspection first. Still wasn’t difficult but Carvana was almost too easy and barely looked at the vehicle.

1 Like

No it’s not. I helped my relatives sell their Kona at NJ carmax.

You got lucky. I saw Your post a while ago and after that I tried twice with no success unfortunately.

No. You got unlucky. Hyundai allows third party sales and you should’ve gone to a different Carmax(s). First time they tried, it was actually Hyundai rep who provided Carmax with the lessee payoff, so Carmax stuck with it. There was never a question of Hyundai allowing third party buyouts.