Sold one to CarMax

They said it could take 15 days…

I tried to get Carmax to match my Carvana offer and they wouldn’t.

Oh because you make no mention of a Carvana Offer and the message you replied showed a lesser Carvana offer over Carmax.

It’s only Tuesday…you realize it goes via USPS / UPS / FedEx and then still has to go through processing. What was your expectation?

2 Likes

On the website, CarMax wouldn’t post their offer and I am prompt to schedule an in-person offer.

Has anyone experienced this? I’m wondering if it’s worth making the 2hr drive to the nearest location to find out if they will offer the highest.

Ps,
I’m sorry if this was mentioned before, but I’m not going to go through 500+ posts.

Call them and ask them to do an online appraisal. They’ll email/text you a link where you upload about 14 pictures of the car (inside and out) and you’ll get an offer within 30 min

Good Luck

2 Likes

That’s the million dollar question. Sure, you are getting way more money for your used car than you ever did, but if you are planning to replace it with something else or say a newer one, you will end up on the other side (buyer) and will have to pay the same premium to get in line.

Unless you really hate your car or want to get rid of it anyways and pocket the cash, and are not looking to replace, its makes no benefit or sense financially.

Keep trying, sometimes there’s a glitch in the system. Also if you ever did an in person on the vehicle in question- something is triggered in their system to bring the car back in for an in person appraisal. Might carry over if you ever did an appraisal for the license plate and not the vin.

2021 4XE - High altitude with advanced safety and cold weather
1200 miles
MSRP $60k

Carmax offered $58k and I took it on the spot.

ALGO - $54k
CB USA - $56k
Carvana - $52k

5 Likes

Wow…that’s impressive. Did you get the HA before the price hikes?

Anyone know if carmax is still buying out Kia Finance leasing. Ive read a few conflicting things but still looks listed as one of the few that allow 3rd party buyouts. They offered $8k over buyout price on a Sorento.

Ordered 7/21 and received 9/27. I believe it was after price hikes but not sure.

I’ve also seen conflicting information, but I suspect the answer is that they are not able to buy out Kia Financing. You can get your buyout quote online and then ask Kia, maybe you will have some luck.

If that doesn’t work, you can try looking at other car buying services depending on where you are. MyCarAuction will buy your lease if you are in California, Nevada, Phoenix, etc. There is another one on the east coast that is doing something similar - buying out leases in the name of the person on the lease and then transferring the title after.

Good luck!

1 Like

How accurate are the online quotes vs when they see the vehicle in person? I was just offered $43,400 for my Grand Cherokee. That’s super high and I feel like that’s just to get me in the door. Carvana only offered 33k. I don’t mind taking a ride to Carmax to see but it’s about an hour ride so I wanted to check here first.

Request them to send you a customized link where you upload photos of the car. That will be more accurate than the canned quote and give you a much better idea if their initial offer is legit.

Why You did not call Kia Finance and ask if they sell leased car to 3rd party dealer? I have Hyundai lease and they do it.

The price they quote online is honored in the store as long as there’s nothing crazy different with what you said the car is vs what the car is. For example if you said the car has 20k miles and it actually has 30k, or extreme body damage etc, that price is good. I’m not sure if they even restarted actually taking the car for a test drive. Sold my car to them a few months ago and they didn’t even look at the car. Told me to pull it to the sales center/shop side gave them the keys and 30 mins later was out of there with the honored online price.

Caravan offered me 28, car max offered me 33 and change, having someone take it in tomorrow to verify.

My CarMax had a list of leasing companies they wouldn’t buy and Kia/Hyundai was on it. Furthermore, Carvana just told me they aren’t buying out Kia/Hyundai. I don’t think it is because Kia/Hyundai won’t sell to a 3rd party, but because they are a complete nightmare to work with on getting title!

Just sold a 2018 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 55k to Carmax - for $2,200 less than my selling price 3 years ago.

Bought it out in July for $19,600 (18.5 residual + sales tax)

Carmax offered me $27,200. Called an Uber home & left 20 minutes later with a check in hand and a smile on my face lol.

2 Likes