Sold my leased Mercedes to AutoNation…

Sold my leased ‘17 Mercedes C300 4matic Coupe to my local AutoNation Mercedes Dealership (Houston)….

FYI…AutoNation is the largest vehicle retailer in the United States…

Top dollar for my Mercedes… and a simple and professional transaction…

I expect all these crazy high used car prices to start leveling off soon … take the money and run … this bubble will burst!

….

3 Likes

Care to divulge any other information? All I’m gathering from this is that you sold your Mercedes to a Mercedes dealer.

11 Likes

Having worked at AutoNation corporate for over 2 years I assure you, you did NOT in fact get top dollar for your car. Their offers are consistently some of the lowest you will see.Did you get any other offers?

6 Likes

I received bids from all the players… they were more than $2000 higher than everyone else…

My Mercedes had the AMG Sport Line PKG…and had only 23K miles… it was in absolutely new condition…

There was little to no reconditioning necessary to get it ready for a retail sale…

….

3 Likes

Yes… I sold it back to a Mercedes Dealership…

I received 5 bids before I sold my Mercedes…

My local AutoNation Mercedes Dealer was $2000 higher than any other bid…

Carvana and Vroom’s bids were disappointing…

….

1 Like

Do you work for Auto Nation or something? Post is a little odd with the FYI Auto Nation is the largest retailer and I got the best deal bs.

16 Likes

Autonation offered me 10k less than Vroom and Carvana. lol.

7 Likes

Not sure why everyone is being so cynical against OP. I too recently sold my leased BMW to an AutoNation dealer (Land Rover dealer picked it up) and they also gave me top dollar for the car compared to the others (Carvana, Shift, CarMax, CarTrackers, etc.). The only company that was willing to pay more was Vroom, but they were an absolute headache to deal with and they lagged the paperwork so much, I ultimately decided to go with AutoNation. Super smooth transaction and very professional. I got an online quote, went in, the guy confirmed the online offer would be honored, and I was in and out in one hour.

Edit - just for context, this is the lineup of offers I received on my 2019 440i GC from highest to lowest:

Vroom - $38,000
AutoNation - $36,000
CarMax - $34,400
CarTrackers - $33,500
GiveMeTheVIN - $33,000
Shift - $30,500
Carvana - $29,400

6 Likes

It’s important to shop everyone, but often Autonation undershoots.

3 Likes

Of course. It’s dependent on what they need in their own inventory. The key as you said is to shop everyone.

1 Like

Because the verbiage of the first post sounds like a paid advertisement.

(And most of us have had poor experiences with automation dealers)

8 Likes

I stopped by an autonation a few weeks back and they didn’t offer a dime for my car. I have equity appraisals from a few places ranging from $4000-$6000. They wouldn’t even put an offer on it.

I have firsthand knowledge at AutoNation sometimes has great, market-leading offers for used cars!

2 Likes

Autonation low balled the crap out of my X3 M40i. Nearly $10k less than Vroom

1 Like

They are only paying top dollar for cars they plan to retail, I think.

3 Likes

I just submitted my 4XE let’s see where they fall in the 47.5k-50k range.

You bring up the question if I work for AutoNation?

Absolutely… I’m the “Chairman of the Board”!

How did you figure it out??

LOL

3 Likes

Having refreshed myself on OP’s earlier posts, agree. My guess is that it was written for the intended audience (Slick Deals obsessed who lease cars) and happened to land like marketing copy.

Looking back @Willow1308

And

@Willow1308 would greatly appreciate if you could breakdown:

• what your payoff was
  • what actual offers you received were?

Thank you for sharing elsewhere @mattevan

and thanks for this breakdown @ZZAutoDeals

Sounds like the higher-end, lower volume, more unique pieces should at least consider AN for a quote if they are going to cross-shop.

Appreciate the tips - keep them coming.

4 Likes

Least you got an offer. They didn’t even give an offer to me. Waited about a half hour to and they ran the Vin and took pics. I’m sure they could have flipped it for a few grand more.

I got a fairly decent quote from Autonation on my 2018 Pacifica.

They offered $29,500, Vroom was $27, Carmax was $28,800 and Carvana was $30,400. I’m still waiting on the title and will reprice once I have it in hand.

2 Likes