Sold my leased Mercedes to AutoNation…

They came back 46k on my 4XE. Range has been 47.5k-50k. So not terrible

Maybe I need to clarify a few things…

I had a very good experience when I went to sell my Mercedes to one of the local Mercedes dealerships… Houston is a big city and I think there are a total of six Mercedes dealerships in the Houston metro area…

AutoNation just so happens to be the owner of the Mercedes Dealership that was the high bidder on my Mercedes…so I’m not giving a blanket endorsement of all AutoNation dealerships across the country…

I had a very hard to find Mercedes Coupe… with very low miles… in absolutely new condition with no exceptions… and in this particular case this AutoNation Dealership was willing to pay up for the privilege of buying my car!

I was very impressed by this Mercedes Dealership… and I will certainly give them opportunity to sell me a new Mercedes when the time comes…

Absurdly high use car prices will fade away once the manufactures catch up with pandemic production problems… but new car production will be on the ropes for a while…

….

1 Like

Did you read around 50 cpq’s posts about selling his XC40 to GMTV, with multiple photos? lol

the benefit of selling to Autonation or a local dealer is you can get a check and paperwork on the payoff on the spot—rather than some of the reports waiting for Vroom or Carvana to pay the note/lease and dragging for near a month. I am working on dumping my Tundra right now.

3 Likes

That’s a great point. I walked out of the dealer with a check in hand, did a mobile deposit, and money was in my account the next morning. BMW Financial received the payoff after 3 business days and my account showed as closed.

3 Likes

"Please keep my number handy - and remember - the only pressure you’ll get from us is the air in your tires! "

Received this wonderful email from Autonation today. :grin:

1 Like

This. AN also has access to many of the captive lenders’ back-end systems. No three-party calls.

4 Likes

Another data point echoing OP

Not only did AutoNation have the best bid for my 2020 Honda Clarity, they also had the lowest OTD price on my new 2021 XC90 Recharge (13% off MSRP including all dealer discounts / incentives / CCFR but excluding TTL and Fed) back in May.

One and done transaction, couldn’t be easier.

Only issue I am having now is that they have totally ghosted me on the home EVSE that I was promised with the purchase.

3 Likes

Just add another data point here. For my 2020 X3 m40i, Vroom offered over 52k, Autonation gave over 51k, so not far off. But I still prefer Vroom because they bought Texas Direct Auto, everything was done in person and got the check on the same day at one of the Texas Direct Auto location. Very easy proces. Highly recommend for those who live in Texas.

1 Like

Is it worth selling my lease if im getting offered $37,000 and my pay off is $32,000? I mean after taxes and fees.

Not if it costs an extra $5k to replace it

1 Like

probably better to stay with my 216 a month payment. Ends in December.

1 Like

I’m in similar boat with my 2018 q50 rs400. Payoff is just under 33k and due back in 2 weeks. Mileage only 11.5k and thinking I can get 36-37k for it. I don’t need another car now so selling to a dealer (rather than trading) seems like a good option. But need to pay tax to buy it out (before turning around and selling it), so probably just not worth it in the end.

Selling a leased car and making money is rare. I am wondering if I can on my volvo. I like it but tempted…just not sure we can do without that vehicle right now even though I’m positive car prices will drop.

I made money selling my leased 2019 3 series in 2020. But I deeply regret it. I was hoping the prices would cool off in 2021 (12 months later), but instead it only became worse. My original deal was signed during a buyer’s market ($350/mo+tax, $1k DAS), and dealers aren’t showing so much love now. Also didn’t help that BMW no longer offers 2k loyalty on the car, and subtly hiked the MSRP by 2k (for similarly optioned car).

If you’re happy with your car and payments, I’d suggest to stay put. Timing a volatile market is always full of surprises (ported wisdom from stock market).

2 Likes

Probably sound advice, sidzart :slight_smile:

avoid Autonation… 100% waste of time

Actually…based on this thread… there have been members of this forum that have been very pleased with their AutoNation Dealership transactions…

My own experience with my local AutoNation Mercedes Dealership was very positive!

Care to provide some more details about your experience so others can benefit from it? Otherwise we have no idea what forms the basis of your opinion that AutoNation is a waste of time.

1 Like

Just my experiences with them. I got a quote ($300/$3000 for a loaner BMW 228i), later they said it was a mistake and gave me a new quote with $550/$3000. I then asked for the residual value, which will be like 10k. No reply since. Also, I was given 23k for my MB C300 for trade-in. Carvana gave 27k.