Sold my Car to Dealership, Owner wants to Unwind

Located in TN ( No cooling off period). Sold my Hellcat to a local CDJR dealer.

Have done tons of business with them and sold them plenty of other stuff. Never an issue and always was a good clean deal. Recently they’ve had some turnover in the dealership and the Owner fired a GM at a sister store. I am guessing this is prompting a review of ongoing business practices.

Anyway I dropped my Hellcat off on Friday, did all paperwork, signed sealed and delivered. Left the car there with the keys. Now I didn’t get a copy of the paperwork because we’ve done so much in the past and never an issue. The manager who did the sale also verified all was good with another senior manager and the deal.

Anyone I got a call yesterday from the Manager i usually sell to, bad news etc the owner wants you to take the car back. I am unsure of the politics of it but the manager i sold to says it was a good deal and everyone was happy with it including his GM but when it got to the owners desk for final approval it got keibashed.

Can they really force me to unwind? I have a feeling the law is on my side but do i really want to drag it out and go through a headache over a few thousand bucks? Looking to just get a conversation going and see what other hackers have to say.

1 Like

First question I would be asking myself before thinking about any response is do I care to maintain a relationship with said dealer. That would dictate how I would personally go about this

I think relationship is done anyway considering how it seems the Owner now wants things to run.

2 Likes

Well, now is the time to get and really read that paperwork…

7 Likes

I’d tell them to find a snowy off-ramp: They’re owners now.

1 Like

Tell them to pound sand

name GIF

8 Likes

You don’t have a copy of the contract, the signed OD statement, nothing? They just have your keys and car.

If you had a copy of signed contacts, I’d tell them to pound sand like others suggest. If that stuff was already shredded :grimacing:

4 Likes

Nope I don’t because we’ve done over 20 deals and NEVER had an issue. Only reason why I am kinda on the fence and not firmly in the kick rocks camp.

This was my situation a few weeks ago

In my case they honored it and I had a bill of sale signed by a dealer employee and they gave me a copy. Without the bill of sale I think you’re probably stuck. But considering you DID sign paperwork, now you just need a copy. Maybe worth calling a friend there?

Sucks for sure but you did sign it over.

And if this isn’t a sign of the turning market for flips…

5 Likes

Lesson to everyone: never ever leave the dealership without your paperwork, ever.

I’d ask the friendlies at the dealer for copies of the paperwork. If they won’t send it, and you want to litigate and depose everyone involved you’ll likely win, it will just take 1-2 years and probably cost 6 figures (unless someone takes it on contingency).

Sucks, sorry.

14 Likes

All you have is a handshake deal without the necessary paperwork. I’d go pickup that car before any other issues arrive with it in their possession.

If you have any desire to fight this send them a formal request for a litigation hold (you can google it, I’m sure there’ll be templates out there) ASAP. It’s pretty low risk and will theoretically keep them from shredding documents.

I mean the other consideration here is to not burn a bridge with a dealer who has been great to you.

Doesn’t sound like they’re interested in being great with them anymore.

5 Likes

Flip game dead now
Dealers are not your friends
Let them hold the bag

17 Likes

Exactly if the owner wants to step in and throw his managers under the bus and unwind a deal he doesn’t like. I don’t I’ll be doing business with them in the future anyway.

3 Likes

Even if the flip game is dead, we need to get out of our cars when some new shiny deal comes along and having a good outlet helps though they probably burned this bridge first. I 100% agree they need to own this and yes a GM might make his manager pay for the mistake.

And if dealers aren’t our friends, can brokers be our friends?

2 Likes

Sounds like you made quite a bit of money flipping to this dealer. Personally, I would go get your car and sell it somewhere else.

How much better are they on price vs the next offer?

1 Like

Word on the street is the owner is going to have it towed to my house if I don’t go pick it up.