Sold my Car to Dealership, Owner wants to Unwind

lol - whos this guy? Post his linkedin - time to play hardball Roy Cohen style

Wow. So much for a good relationship. I’m sure they did fine selling what you brought them in the past.

Just curious how much did they overpay/was it over your next best offer?

Can always renegotiate to see if $500 is a deal breaker or whatever. Out if principle I might not do that but your time might be worth more…post them numbers so people can run mmr and see what’s up with this…

1 Like

It’s a 2023 Jailbreak Charger sticker is 90k selling for 98k. Didn’t really get many offers since I had this lined up for a while. But the few I got were between 90-95k

I am working on a backup 98-99 offer. But still a headache because this was a wrapped deal, that had no business being reneged on.

7 Likes

The thing that is really twisting me is he knows there’s a signed contract and threatening to tow the car to my house. I havent spoke to him yet just got the message relayed. I don’t trust myself to speak to him directly lol

1 Like

Have a lawyer friend to write a friendly letter? Always fun, they don’t want to litigate and I imagine you have emails/texts with them agreeing to the price.

Obv now you know to always get a contract signed but hindsight is 20/20. Texts and emails along with the fact they took possession is likely legally binding anyway.

Might as well burn the bridge. Dealers are a dime a dozen and you won’t be doing nearly as much flipping anywha going forward

2 Likes

Chatgpt count as a friend who’s a lawyer?

9 Likes

Currently going through some sh*t right now with one. The answer is NO

2 Likes

Quite an escalation. And I understand what you mean about not trusting yourself for a quick diplomatic phone call (in the case they get slick over the phone.)

Hope you can resolve this without too much heat.

1 Like

Well, you have no idea what contract says…it may indicate potential outs for the dealer…and I assume you don’t have the check for your car yet? You may as well go pick it up because they aren’t gonna pay you…

I don’t think anyone will take this case on a contingency.

33% of zero is still zero.

4 Likes

Haha - used to send smaller bad loans to contingency - boy that’s a rough job

1 Like

Leaving a valuable asset with no paperwork is going to bite you in the ass. Such a poor choice, regardless of how many deals you have done. RIP your credit.

Average Dodge owner move, however.

3 Likes

Cash the check. If you go to court it shows you accepted the deal and as long as the dealer didn’t cancel the check, it solidifies the deal.

One of those places that doesn’t give you a check till they get title.

Obv this dealer would have instantly canceled a check upon deciding to renege, had they even issued one.

1 Like

Not trying to pile on, and no doubt someone will buy this HellDog Reunion Tour™.

I’m surprised the “professional flippers” aren’t meticulous about this - how many sour flips to wipe out all your upside? Downside far outweighs the upside — after 5 deals I’d probably know where their copy machine was and make the copies myself.

Something I learned in business a long long time ago: always have contracts, don’t put yourself at risk.

This is the new normal, I hope flippers are more careful in the final days of flipping if they want to keep their hard earned moolah.

7 Likes

???
Does give you a check or doesn’t? I assume doesn’t until they get title. Go get the car.

This (as in “does not”) is common. All the dealers under Penske do this, for example. But you’d leave with a sale agreement even if a check isn’t issued for a couple business days.

1 Like