I’m on vacation and dealer says now they don’t want the car

I’m at the beach. Right before I left needed to move a Rubi I had. Was ready to sell until I I got a last minute offer that beat the two others. Took it Signed it over. Went on vacation.

I just got this email

“ I am reaching out on behalf of our GM.

Per our company policy we review every off-street purchase we make on a weekly basis. Your Wrangler was reviewed today prior to being processed; Due to the age, mileage and our close proximity to 3+ Jeep dealerships, our GM has decided this is not a vehicle we want for our inventory. With that being said he has opted to cancel the purchase of your 2023 Jeep Wrangler.

Please let me know how you would like to schedule getting the Wrangler back into your possession. If delivering it back to your house assists with your schedule I would be more than happy to accommodate and set that up. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.”

I have a signed deal. Sold the same spec to another dealer in their group for the same amount 2 weeks before Assuming I don’t have to accept this. What would you do? I’m gone for 10 days and don’t want to clean this up when I get home.

in all seriousness… we seen it returned on temp tags
you sold it with tags…

1 Like

Can you explain the mechanics of what exactly has happened.

They have the car, you have the money, and they’re trying to roll it back? I’m sure they will have some clause in any contract that will allow them to back out.

2 Likes

I think first question is do they have a cooling off period in their contract or some other clause that allows them to unwind it? Hate to say it, but if you’re going to fight it, you may need a lawyer…

3 Likes

When was your 2023 coming in?

Sounds like you’re trading in your existing Wrangler on a 2023, dropped off your trade but the 2023 wasn’t ready for pick up yet?

The checks take 24 hours to cut so I said just mail it to me.

I signed over the odometer and a bill of sale. Done it many times. Even before with this dealer.

Not saying this is your character but honestly - was there any undisclosed damage or prominent issues?

I’m sure their agreement must’ve allowed a cancel up to a certain timeframe, but that sucks regardless.

I am wondering if the fact you’ve sold another vehicle (of the same kind) in a short period of time is what triggered them to unwind your deal? E.g. they’re concerned you’re a flipper. They may be choosing not to do business with you. I’ve heard of CarMax doing this.

2 Likes

Unless their bill of sale says they can back out of the deal within a certain period of time… You probably have a "binding"agreement with them.

However enforcing that agreement will cost you a lot more than the difference in value from your other offers

6 Likes

The car had 200 miles and was perfect.

Yeah I’m an unabashed flipper and they said they needed newer inventory.

They paid 52 for a 61 sticker car with a 53,700 Mmr and 58 retail. Am I missing something?

I had two other comparable offers I could have taken. And this dealer bought and sold my explorer last year and did just fine on it.

1 Like

Market getting wrekt.

Check your paperwork. It’ll tell you whether you need to revisit other offers or tell this dealer to go screw and enjoy their new to them jeep.

5 Likes

Paperwork is sitting on my desk at home of course because I’m at the beach.

And the car is still listed on their site.

Sounds like a problem for Manheim then.

6 Likes

Is it possible whoever you were working with did not have (and never received) the approval from the GM?

Sure. But a dealer employee signed the bill of sale and odometer statement and took my keys and listed it on their website. And I cancelled my insurance and plates. And went on vacation.

2 Likes

Might be time to name and shame if you guys can’t come to a resolution that involves them taking their new to them jeep to auction or retailing it.

1 Like

Oh I would go scorched earth if they bailed.

I totally get when a car has a discovered issue. But this is pure buyers remorse. And they overpaid by 2k off my other offers… so an overpay but I also drove an hour more than I wanted each way to get it done.

1 Like

They can send it to Manheim if they dont want to sell it from their lot.

I dont think that you have to buy back the vehicle from them.

I just checked the rules to void the sale in your state:
Section 7N. Notwithstanding any disclaimer of warranty, a motor vehicle contract of sale may be voided by the buyer if the motor vehicle fails to pass, within seven days from the date of such sale, the periodic staggered inspection at an inspection station licensed pursuant to section seven W; provided, that the defects which are the reasons for the failure to issue a certificate of inspection were not caused by the abusive or negligent operation of the motor vehicle or by damage resulting from an accident or collision occurring after the date of the sale; and provided, further, that the cost of repairs necessary to permit the issuance of a certificate of inspection exceeds ten per cent of the purchase price of the motor vehicle.

In order to void a motor vehicle sale under this section the buyer shall, within fourteen days from the date of sale, notify the seller of his intention to do so, deliver the motor vehicle to the seller, provide the seller with a written statement signed by an authorized agent of such inspection station stating the reasons why the motor vehicle failed to pass the safety or combined safety and emissions inspection and an estimate of the cost of necessary repairs. The buyer shall be entitled to a refund of his purchase price unless the buyer and seller agree in writing that the seller may make the necessary repairs at his own cost and expense within a reasonable period of time thereafter. This section shall apply only to motor vehicles purchased for the immediate personal or family use of the buyer.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section7N

Ask them to email you the sale contract so you can review while you are on the vacation.

7 Likes

Doesn’t sound easy to unwind since you cancelled plates and insurance.

I’d tell them to hang tight until you get home. Then go check the contract. If it’s iron clad then tell them to pound sand, and if they won’t then depending on your desire to make them keep their word either lawyer up or go crazy with the negative reviews and hopefully they’ll back off.

Maybe you’ll get lucky and somebody will want to go in and buy the Jeep in the meantime.

Thanks everyone. I’ll keep you posted how it turns out.

I don’t think they have technical recourse. And I think that a reasonable dealer will eat this vs screwing me and making things really difficult to reregister and insure my car. I’d even meet half way to put this to bed. They probably thought they’d try this to see if I’d bite.

Part of this was just being really angry to get the email on vacation after thinking I had a clean deal from a dealer I had a great experience with before.

2 Likes