Show Us Your Rental Car

Guess the tires were bald? Perhaps 2k miles of burnouts and donuts :man_shrugging:t4:

Not very exciting but returned remarkable fuel effeciency.

2021 Opel Combo Life 1.5l diesel 102hp 6sp. 600 miles on 1 tank with 4 adults and 2 kids, 250lbs of luggage and strollers and such.

Anyone heading to Ireland, check out NewWay car hire Dublin. Every car comes with full coverage already in the price. For the Tesla fanboys, they carry those too. Ireland had plently of charging points at parking lots and hotels.

6 Likes

I’m heading to Ireland this summer. Interesting with the coverage. I have coverage via chase preferred card and I have a National suv reserved for about 276 euro. Same trip at newway is about 375, anything I am missing that would push us over the edge from new way vs National car?

Pretty sure you’ll be forced to buy their coverage at the counter.

Is that an Ireland thing?

Yup … idk if it’s changed since 2019 but

1 Like

Definitely an Ireland thing. You can try with cc coverage but you need a letter from the card company along with a hefty deposit…and there are lots of reviews of people having to fight damage charges after that. YMMV.

1 Like

Do you feel comfortable driving on the other side of the road with a right hand drive car? Roads outside of Dublin are tight. Parking spots are narrow as well.

Personally I’d risk credit card insurance within the USA but abroad I rather pay extra and not worry about not only accidents but windshield damage or wheel damage, etc.

1 Like

I did drive on the other side in Australia and only drove on the opposite side a couple of times:) It was at night and I was in a rush to make a turn:) Almost did a head-on collision:)
Otherwise, it wasn’t too bad but we were mostly outside of cities.
Not sure how it is in Ireland. I know I can do it but it seems more of a shakedown thing rather than an actual insurance.

1 Like

I personally have experience driving on either side so it does not bother me.

Parking is narrow (ridiculously so) everywhere in Europe.

I have always used my Visa Signature for primary rental insurance in Europe but I always research extensively about mandatory CDW, deposit requirements and country-specific gotcha.

Thank you for posting the rule about Ireland CDW though! :+1:

1 Like

Renting through the UK sites is often cheaper and includes insurance too - recently did so with Hertz and was VERY glad I did because an erratic concrete post decided to smash into a rented Tesla my partner was driving (seems to happen frequently :roll_eyes:) damage was probably going to be fairly expensive but as it was all covered, Hertz rocked up, took it away and closed out the rental with no charges sooo, all good. Hopefully. Poor thing only had 300 miles on it too.

8 Likes

I heard the holligan Concrete posts also throw fruit at your cars too.

3 Likes

Wow great to know. Anyone know what CDW is required in Germany?

Just looked at my reservation it shows damage waiver is included or is this a basic coverage and will be forced to include more coverage at the counter?

It’s been 4 years so I forget whether it’s liability or collision, but basically there was something that “we can’t let you drive without it.”

Thanks again for the heads up. I did a little more reading up and Ireland does look quite restrictive with car rental insurance. I also noticed I had a manual SUV rental. While I’m a manual transmission enthusiast and owned a manual car for about 6 years, on small Ireland roads on the left hand side i’m opting for an automatic. My National rental is 2-300 Euro less than a NewWay SUV automatic for 4 days. I am reserving with a Chase Sapphire card, I see I need a letter of coverage in Ireland dated within 2 weeks of the rental which I can do. No problem with a hefty deposit. From the bits of reading I found online folks with claims in Ireland with Chase seemed to have been pretty smooth.

1 Like

Does renting from a luxury rental place count? :slight_smile:

16 Likes

reupload the pics

Where is this? :fire:

1 Like

North Cascades Highway in WA.

4 Likes