Show Us Your Rental Car

:)) this was at bmw dealership. I figured I would get 1% charge while there.

Employer’s corporate rate destroyed every other option this time.

Avis / San Diego / off airport, one week for $200 + tax (and no obscene airport surcharges), booked last night.

This Camry has ~36,000 miles on it but it feels like it has 5x that. Looks and rattles like it too.

There is some obvious paint mismatch (it’s not just the photo), so I’m assuming it’s been in at least one notable accident followed by a shitty repair.

Smallest car class would have only saved ~$15 for the week.

2 Likes

Well, I have that through Amex Plat but have not spent time to figure out how to hack these rental car statuses. When we rent, I always try for Tahoe/Suburban size. Last time it was VW Tiguan with 3rd row, which wasn’t too bad. So I want a larger car but not a minivan. How do you get that?
Where is our rentalhkack chat is? :rofl:
Cause I get free travel via bonus points for hotels and flights but am constantly screwed on car rentals unless I use Chase points through their portal to rent a car.

Download the Blitzer.de app (now CamSam Plus) if you drive in Europe. Its saved me countless times, it has both fixed and mobile traffic cams. Makes euro trips so much more fun - can cruise the autostrada at 150-200kmph (going with the flow of traffic in the left lane) and get alerts 500-1000 meters ahead of the cameras so you know where to slow down.

2 Likes

First go here and register for the highest status with Hertz. Then use that to match the highest status to everyone else, Avis, National, Enterprise etc.

Hertz and National allow you to pick whatever car from the lot/executive aisle. No guarantees you will get a big SUV unless you reserve so that’s still a crapshoot. Skipping any and all lines at the airport is a nice perk.

Autoslash will typically give you the best rates you qualify for and you can attach your loyalty number to the reservation.

1 Like

4 Likes

Overall really enjoying Avis Presidents Club. But asked them to downgrade me today from a Genesis G70 they had picked out for me in SEA to a brand new Prius I saw on their lot, which they graciously obliged to. I’ve been curious about these since I first saw the release and it didn’t disappoint. Great standard tech, amazing fuel economy and somewhat good looking. I averaged 62 MPG over 200 miles of highway driving today.

13 Likes

How was road noise on the highway? Our Prius is awful

1 Like

I’ve heard and read that the new one is an upgrade in a lot of ways.

1 Like

I pulled the short straw on the Manager’s Special at Hertz EV selection.

Bolt EUV. aka Big Avocado machine

5 Likes

Last FL trip, Hertz PC, I had already done so many Dodge’s, took this 4cyl Mustang since I had never driven a Mustang before. Did not like it. Would take a Dodge over this any day. $39/day.

1 Like

I had the ecboost premium convertible in Vegas once. While it was fun enough, it doesn’t replace the 5.0. What did you not like about the car? $39/day is a good rate to drive something “decent”.

1 Like

We rented the ecoboost in Hawaii. The actual acceleration was better than the car felt (it felt slow) but the seats were comfortable and it handled pretty well. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Ecoboost with HPP wakes that car up. I test drove them a couple of times and liked them. Should not compare with V8 but a good case for a daily (better mpg). Although, there is not a big difference in price between eco+HPP and a V8 so…

I always figured that was the sweet spot in the line. If you are looking at the vehicle less as a traditional muscle car and more as an all around performance daily it feels like that would be a good balance.

1 Like

It wouldn’t hold traction for anything, even on a hot, dry day in Florida. The fake engine sound was horrible. Handling was horrible. Visibility was horrible. It has almost no redeeming qualities besides looking decent, IMO.

1 Like

That was my experience as well. It was a little underpowered (it is a 4 banger mustang after all), but I’ve enjoyed basically all mustang rentals that I’ve had.

These are just a few that I can recall:
2014 Mustang convertible (V6)
2019 Mustang convertible (4cyl turbo)
2020 Mustang GT convertible (5.0)
2022 Mustang Shelby GT500

Interesting, especially the lack of traction. Maybe it just wasn’t your day to jump on a pony. :laughing:

Maybe not, I have no idea. It was very easy to break loose, and not because I was trying to…

I would have said maybe it just had crappy rental car company replacement tires, but this car was almost new, under 2k miles on it when I got it IIRC

1 Like

I’ve driven the previous gen and I have to say this is an improvement. But it is still pretty noisy. That’s the only thing I disliked about this car. Otherwise great value for money especially with the base variant starting at $27,450.

1 Like