Show Us Your Rental Car

Hertz, today.

Hell has frozen over. I accepted another shitbox RAV4 as a rental car.

After a brief discussion, the counter agent admitted that the “free upgrade” to a RAV4 was because he didn’t have much else to offer me.

7 Likes

We will keep you in our prayers Trism. Least it’s not a cognac interior.

:chocolate_bar:

4 Likes

Got a RAV4 XLE last time as well. It actually was borrowed from Alamo by National. Since National was completely sold out, and didn’t even have any reps of their own at the counter, it honestly could have been a lot worse.

I think we should change the title to “show us what you are paying for your rental car” I was just quoted $450 a day for a suburban rental in Denver.

Use Autoslash.

It will be cheaper if you can book a weekly rate. Random test dates for 4/21 - 4/28 using no corporate codes.

2 Likes

I rent cars all the time, just curious why you don’t like the RAV4. It’s not fancy, but it’s reliable and moderately comfortable and a hell of a lot more pleasant to drive than the similarly sized Equinox or Rogue. I actually took a Rogue back to Enterprise after a few hours and swapped for the RAV4, that’s how bad it was.

5 Likes

Hate to cancel my summer reservation in Portugal: $237 for 9 days ‘BMW 1 Auto’ :frowning:

3 Likes

But . . . I thought we were all in this together??? Rental companies sold off their fleets and now that people are traveling again, when they get to the counter are likeLook_At_Me,_I'm_The_Captain_Now_meme_4

2 Likes

I’ve never wanted a Mazda 3 so much in my life. Or ever, really.

3 Likes

RAV4 is definitely one of the better offerings by rental companies. Much rather have that than any Nissan/FCA (i.e. Dodge Journey) product in the same class.

Also, any minivan as a rental/upgrade over a SUV is the best option IMO. Lots of space, usually have leatherette seats standard, and tech is not terrible.

6 Likes

Enterprise owns both those companies - haha

2 Likes

The only rental car I wouldn’t take over a RAV4 is a Mitsubishi Mirage.

I would buy back my 10-year-old Infiniti before I’d buy a new RAV4.

I wouldn’t f— a RAV4 with your d—.

I could go on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not a fan of the RAV4 I guess. Hertz is not earning a 5-star rating for customer experience?

1 Like

Hertz is fine, but this RAV4 is strictly from hunger.

2 Likes

I took a last-gen GLA over a RAV4 a month ago. The RAV4 would’ve been much nicer.

1 Like

I’m putting you in ignore. :laughing:

2 Likes

@mattevan

:chocolate_bar:

2 Likes

Remember you can only have Journey in a Doge Journey

To The Moon Meme GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

3 Likes

The engine is loud and crude. The auto stop/start is the worst I’ve ever encountered. I cannot find a comfortable seating position. Infotainment is better on our gas fireplace. Interior materials are cheap. And it’s ugly as fk.

3 Likes

Taking pics of my rental cars is relatively new… so there’s plenty more legendary moments in the past that I unfortunately haven’t captured. But here’s a few of them:

Volvo S60. It was… comfortable. Needed a car for a couple days while I waited for the new tires to arrive on my car so this served its purpose well.

20190104_165037
Tesla Model 3. Back when I was seriously considering a Model 3 as a potential next car for me, decided to rent one for a week on vacation in San Diego. I went in with a totally open mind, but came away disappointed.

Mercedes GLE350. On a road trip to Mackinac Island, Michigan. Car was nice and quiet, but seats weren’t as comfortable as I would have liked from an SUV.

Peugeot 107. Driving all over Santorini, Greece. This tiny little 3 cylinder munchkin was surprisingly a ton of fun to drive.

Lincoln MKX. Driving all over Colorado. This was a pretty forgettable car.

Hyundai Elantra Hatch. Was in Seattle for a conference, and on the last day decided to rent a car and drive up to mount Rainier. Don’t think I ever experienced so much understeer in my life on those twisty mountain roads.

Chevy Camaro. At a conference in Tampa and took it to Orlando. Was a fun car but holy crap the visibility when the top was down was like staring through a hole in the wall.

Mercedes E43 AMG. Driving around Los Angeles. Now this car was a joy to drive. Felt so much more engaging than the equivalent 5 series. Sounded good, drove well, wasn’t super quick but just quick enough. One of the best rental car experiences I’ve had.

9 Likes