Show Us Your Rental Car

If it’s the airport, the fleet is shared. Local branches - they will pull the high mileage vehicles from the airport.

3 Likes

Is this a true thing? I’ve had good luck with Enterprise but may need to give National a try if this is the case.

EDIT: Nevermind, answered above didn’t see it on mobile.

I get by far the most consistency with National. Even before having executive (via Amex Plat card) if you hung out around the emerald aisle long enough you could find something acceptable, sometimes shooting the breeze with the people in the lot would help as well. In the executive aisles never problem. Even the smaller locations without an aisle they seem to be really accommodating to get you in a car you want for the class reserved. I have had luck with Avis, Enterprise, Budget but most of the time I am disappointed especially on the neighborhood lots, most of the vehicles are 30k plus on the odometer, usually have the absolute cheapest tires on them which make the car ride way worse and have that overwhelming cleaner spray where you can still smell some undertones of funk that dissipate after a few hours and the cigarette smell shines through.

My National vehicles in the past year.

Ford Explorer - 5k miles (this was a one way rental from east coast to midwest, second car was rented from Avis full size and was given a Hyundai Elantra with 60k miles with a window that was recently replaced and still had duct tape on the body panels and a rear wheel that shook the car between 73 and 79mph).
Kia K5 - 5k miles
Ford Edge - 21k
Dodge Challenger - 19k
Volkswagen Tiguan - 28k
Chevrolet Suburban - 21k

Definitely a better choice than an Avalon, a fun weekend cruiser for the money. Quick question though did you really pass on a Polestar 1 or did you mean to say Polestar 2? as Hertz has acquired a great amount of Polestar 2’s

1 Like

For $65 a day rented a M3 Tesla through Hertz while my 4xe is going through the recalls.
They had three M3 for rental in the shop.

The question I should ask others is, do people prefer to get damage waiver insurance on rentals or do they just use their car insurance?
I personally like to use the damage waiver insurance but not sure if it is needed or recommended.

Neither, get a cc with primary coverage

11 Likes

i use chase sapphire for primary and when i close the rental contract i ask them to put it on amex green so i earn 3x points on rental

2 Likes

Went to SFO in December and had a Escalade / X7 reserved with Sixt. Of course they didn’t have that, took them forever to say they had a QX80 which I didn’t want. Ended up in a 740i with 7,000 miles on it. Had it for 10 days and put 2,000 miles on it. Kinda glad we didn’t get a big SUV with those gas prices out there.

2 Likes

I’ve had this thing for the last month. It was the least worst option at Hertz’ LAX Presidents Circle lot. There was just some basic GMC Arcadia’s and this to choose from. I always prioritize cars with adaptive cruise and the Titanium trim has it. I would always take the Fusion hybrids when they had them so I assumed this would be the same but if feels ancient now. The camera sucks, I couldn’t find a seating position I enjoyed and it just feels horribly cheap. (and bear in mind my normal car is a Sonata!) I’m glad to be giving it back today.

I’m picking up a Model 3 for the next month. Rate was 502gbp/$612 (cheaper booking through the UK site) - isnt terrible and I wanted to see how living with a full EV for longer than a weekend would go. We’ll see!

4 Likes

Anyone have tips to get a good rate on a rental car? I will be in Nashville in May and need a 7 seater for a week.

3 Likes

+1 on Costco.

Their rates are very difficult to beat and if the rental car company jerks you around Costco will usually step up and make it right.

2 Likes

+1 for Costco, with the caveat to AVOID Enterprise and National at BNA. I’d recommend reserving a mini van.

My regular reminder that car rental brands don’t have consistent quality control/metrics/KPIs (that customers experience) across regions. In the DC area these brands are my first choice, near the Nashville airport I wouldn’t rent my dream car from them for $1/yr. At one point I had the airport manager and district manager in my phone, I sent a lot of letters with a lot of photos, and all I got were a lot of apologies over the course of a year that they were working to improve something that never improved (I would switch brands and try them again a month or two later).

4 Likes

Has anyone here tired Kyte?

have had the exact opposite experience at BNA. National emerald aisle always bent over backwards to get me something good (never booked higher than full size, always got luxury or better)

3 Likes

Glad someone did. Avis and Hertz were fine there. The off airport exchanges I attempted with Enterprise weren’t any better than what the airport gave me.

I’ve rented from BNA several times with no issue. It was mostly Hertz from what I recall, maybe 1 or 2 from Enterprise.

I do hertz now too and they’ve been solid at BNA as well. Never really get the nice cars I used to get with National though

1 Like

Twice. Cars were in good shape.
Got an GMC terrain and a Jeep Compass both with ~10k miles.

1 Like

Well I was ready to be a hater, but I ended up on my favorite driving road in LA (Tuna Canyon Rd) on Saturday so I guess that says something about it.
When I picked up the Tesla, Hertz had a base Polestar 2 (with cloth seats! :woozy_face:) in the PC Choice area and I really wanted to take it but alas it was missing a key :frowning: Next time! although if the Tesla lease prices keep coming down, maybe won’t have to rent for much longer!

4 Likes