Show Us Your Rental Car

Didn’t notice the blind spots, not much of a view through the rear view mirror though because the rear glass is really short.

1 Like

I ended up with one of these the last time I was in Charlotte.

My only complaint was how poorly Hertz cleaned it.

It looked like someone smeared I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter all over the inside of the windshield, and then vomited all over the passenger seat and door panel.

4 Likes

Never knew they turned lease returns into rental cars.

1 Like

That’s verbatim what I told him when he sent me that. :rofl:

1 Like

These siennas are amazing for road-trips 36 MPG and plenty of space . I’ve had it for 3 weeks. I have no kids and I’m considering buying one to daily :joy:

6 Likes

I just booked a Tesla M3 in Honolulu for April for one day $90 all in, through Costco (AVIS)
Interesting that this was the cheapest car on there… (a compact was $87)
Checked HERTZ as I have Gold Member and it was $187 for the same day-so no brainer booked Avis and Costco no payment to reserve, Avis website was $110. If price changes to lower I can re-book and cancel the old one :+1:

I just wanted the car for when I land to get to hotel and buy some crap/snacks at Costco for the fridge…be there 10 days, last time I took the Roberts shuttle and it took a lot longer to get to Waikiki-waiting etc. cheap $23 but don’t wanna waste too much time waiting

Car rental prices have exploded for Hawaii. I’ll be in Mau in a few weeks with a midsize SUV for around $450 @ 7 days. I always watch the pricing from early on, basically up until my trip. That was the only time I saw anything semi-reasonable. I actually had a Turo booked up until the $450 popped up. Everything else has been close to $1,000 and more.

x100 on avoiding waiting. I would spend the $90 all day long to have the freedom of a car vs. taking a shuttle at $23.

3 Likes

Autoslash can track pricing for you and alert if anything cheaper pops up

Warm welcome to Avis Presidents Club. Booked a full size sedan and was given this brand new expedition limited instead in SEA. Literally still has the transport stickers and wrappers on.

6 Likes

So that’s what it’s like to rent from a real car rental company.

Shooting Star GIF

2 Likes

Haha to be fair it was my first time renting after reaching presidents club status, I expected a slight upgrade to an intermediate suv or something. But they had this expedition already allotted to me in the app. Trying not to get used to this as most Avis branches don’t even know how their status system works.

6 Likes

PC is hit or miss. Been PC for over 6 years before it got diluted with UA. Avis will give you SUVs and call them upgrades on full sizes instead of giving luxury.

Still get better upgrades with National as EE.

2 Likes

@Gearhead That is good to know, have heard amazing things about National. I already started the status match process to coax National to give me EE status. What do they typically upgrade you into?

But to be honest, I’m kind of a hillbilly and like me some big SUVs & trucks :cowboy_hat_face:

Book full size, pay midsize. Take whatever is in the aisle which depends on how busy it is.

Free days - you can book any non elite vehicles. No one way drop fees either.

Low mileage vehicles as stations get penalized if giving out rentals above 20k miles from what one manager told me.

2 Likes

Plenty of trucks with National. TUL gave me this from the “aisle” (they don’t have a true aisle so you ask what you want)

4 Likes

That is awesome. You’ve sold me on National, going to check them out for my trip next week!

Us LH’ers are always on about performance cars, so it’s nice to enjoy these big trucks/SUVs vicariously as rental cars since I would never buy one.

Do you typically rent a car through the airport or would I have better luck with non-airport locations at National?
I tried to book one from National at the airport and there were no cars available for the 4 days I chose (25th till 28th)

You will get Enterprise vehicles at local branches. Less taxes though.

Push it out to 7 days. Should open availability. National will auto adjust the rate to daily if you return early. Example - I booked 8 days in HNL. Returned it after 1 day and only got billed my 1x daily rate. Weekly will be cheaper though so check your daily rate.

Thanks for that advice. I’ll look into that
One more question. I am going on a skiing trip and would have to drive on icy roads. Any chance I can book a 4x4 or AWD? I haven’t seen any rental company give me the option to book an AWD. I only see that option in Turo.