Show Us Your Rental Car

1 Like

1 Like

Always a pleasure renting from 6ixt. Originally booked a full size sedan but got upgraded to a brand new X5 for a month.

10 Likes

I thought i’d lost the rental car bingo when I saw the Toyota key being prepared (no upgrade as always at Hertz HLE’s) but I actually really liked it! I rented from central London, so the hybrid was right at home. It had the bigger 2.0L that we don’t get in the US - so a decent amount of power compared to the crappy 1.8L sedan version. Only had a 200-ish miles and returned it with just over 1000 on it. Didn’t hate it anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

I just scored a cheap(ish) month long Hertz rental from LAX as we still need a 2nd car and its cheaper than leasing right now. Hoping for a decent CUV.

6 Likes

can you define “cheapish” ?

I originally booked a 2 month rental for $1090 but it was from a franchise location which usually have pretty shit inventory - so it’s not that cheap, but when factoring in insurance and stuff we’d be paying a 2nd car, about even. I just changed to one month for a smidge over $500 because I’d much prefer to pick up from LAX (Ultimate Choice selection!) and it wouldn’t let me do 2 months for some reason.

1 Like

I have a rental rn from a franchise location . It’s only letting me do a month max however when I rented from the Burbank airport location in the past I got to keep a car from them for 3 months

1 Like

Yeah, I can only speak to Hertz - they used to only let you do a month at a time but they were pretty good with just letting you keep the car you had (even occasionally on a lower/cheaper booking!) - that’s what I did when I first moved to the US and was just establishing credit here, but those days are probs long gone.

2 Likes

Yep, I had to separate rentals every month with Hertz throughout all of 2022 while the Bolt recall was going on. I just kept showing up every four weeks to close out and open the new rental, with the option of keeping or swapping cars depending on what they had on the lot. After about 4 months, they started to let me choose any car off the lot regardless of what I booked, so I tried just about every premium vehicle in the fleet.

4 Likes

Went ahead and collected some photos of my rentals in Florida back to 2019. Before I was 25, I found this workaround where for some reason, if you used the Amex Platinum CDP on Hertz, it would waive the underage fee, but ONLY on the entry level luxury SUV class. It was probably a glitch, but it worked, and because of this, it was usually cheaper or the same to rent this class of vehicle because it didn’t have $25/day in underage fees.

King Ranch, I had booked a sedan and this was an HLE location, they let me upgrade to anything on the lot for $15 more per day.

BMW X3, don’t remember the story:

Silverado, booked a cheap sedan but they had no cars out when I arrived to the airport, they were just pulling up anything they had, so I took this:

X1:

X2:

Got this on my last trip with President’s Circle status. Booked mid-size sedan. Paid $46/day AFTER all taxes and fees on this one:

7 Likes

Trying to change dates with the same rate and now it’s $1,3xxx. They won’t keep the same promo rate I had :frowning:

So, just got back from PBI a few days ago. President’s Circle mostly had some of those newer Kia’s, some Chargers, and a Mercedes A220, which naturally I took. I should have realized from the look of it, but it was a huge piece of shit. The AC was making a loud annoying noise for the first 5-10 minutes of driving, and at red lights it would shake so much that my bag on the passenger seat was visibly shaking, even my shoe laces were shaking. I had to take it back, it was just a clapped out POS that clearly was past its prime with only 45k miles. It had really dark tint on the rear side and rear windows, so I suspect this was a lease return turned rental car.

After returning it, I took this, R/T Charger Hemi:

5 Likes

LAX - x5e with National

RSW - National

2 Likes

Booked a manager’s special from Hertz (a Brooklyn HLE) for $47 after taxes. Got a 2019 Trax AWD with 31K miles, a vibrating steering wheel, and a gutless 1.4 turbo.

Going 65 mph in that thing felt more like 100 mph. Even though a Bolt EUV is about the same size, the driving experience is incomparable in terms of NVH, handling, ride quality, power, amenities, and overall refinement.

9 Likes

This was the M3P I rented in Honolulu HNL for a whopping $78/day back in November (they tried to charge me for a damaged rear wheel, curb rash) But I sent them a video when I rented the car, damage was there. One of the employees said he took it home-pretty sure he scraped that thing good haha, only 1000+ miles on odo

EDIT: Oh and I almost got rear ended by a Toyota…was on Autopilot on H1 freeway and traffic was slowing down-Toyota was still speeding behind me, screeched her brakes and I accelerated very quickly so collision was avoided… should’ve saved that video

5 Likes

Sigh… Traveling…

Are you reserving this class or vehicle or are you getting this thru Exec Elite status and getting lucky?

I have EE. Redeeming free days for it.

1 Like

Buy it! They’ll be collectible one day.

6 Likes

Are the rear blind spots as bad as one would think they are, based on the size of the pillars?