Show Us Your Rental Car

My brand new 7 mile Ford Expedition from a work trip in San Francisco through Enterprise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thinking of renting an M340i Touring from Sixt in Munich (exact model guaranteed) this summer to do car things and touristy things, including popping into Italy and Croatia over the Alps.

11 Likes

My wife and I did this about 6-8 years ago. Sixt gave us an S-class Mercedes (not BMW obviously like you are talking about) and it was one of the best trips we have ever taken. Awesome to drive the Autobahn and see the country. Neuschwanstein Castle is a good stop on your way south as well.

3 Likes

Sixt gave me a S-class for legit like 95/day in Phoenix during the summer. I had a 4 series reserved, and said I’d take an S-class if they can give me a good deal. I’ll never forget that. Also no one visit Phoenix in the summer so that helped. This was 2017-ish

2 Likes

National in PHL used to hook it up (used to be elite member) Standard rate; Q5, Evoque (trash and hated it as soon as I left the lot), 740

Tampa RR, for $35 upgrade

Volvo XC90 no cost upgrade in Denver, super nice for stop go traffic on the way to ski resorts

4 Likes

They rent M cars in BMW Welt hourly if you want to try them.

1 Like

Do the M track days at Monticello and COTA instead. I was going to the Dubai autodrome one but something came up :frowning:

I’m just happy it isn’t a #%^*^%# RAV4.

11 Likes

Deep down you know you’re just jealous of my white steed from last evening… :joy:

But also, I just noticed the hofmeister kink on the back glass… how udderly cute. They’re actually trying! :cow:

6 Likes

It looks like a cheap bottle opener with that black plastic cladding around the wheel openings.

4 Likes

2020 Kia Optima FE. 46k miles: rode hard and put away wet. Will have this one for a bit while my Accord gets some paint work done. Really phoned this one in the year before the K5 came out but I don’t blame em. Lots of standard driver assistance tech, pretty quiet compared to my Accord with the stupid 19 inch rims but garbage sound system.

2 Likes

Had this for a week in Phoenix - 2020 QX60 with around 51k miles. We originally booked a full size sedan, but the wait was 45+ minutes for something to become available, so I upgraded to an SUV. Took a Wrangler Unlimited S, but driving out, it had some registration hold on it. They finally got me into this, which I think is the top of the line for Dollar (hey, my wife booked it). Not the worst thing I have driven, but it did feel extremely dated.

I probably only rent a car once every few years, so I don’t know the ins and outs on how to get a good car at a decent price. I have a trip coming up in July to Rhode Island for a couple of days and would like to get something cool(er) if possible without breaking the bank. Needs to seat four and carry a couple of days worth of luggage for same to and from the airport. My girls are small, so I can put stuff in the back seat with them for short periods if needed. I think a Mustang convertible or similar may work. Would Turo be the best bet for something interesting like that?

2 Likes

Mustang convertibles are pretty common rental cars – at least in places that are sunny and crawling with tourists. Besides Turo, check the giant rental companies (some of whom also offer more unique vehicles):

1 Like

What company or apps are you guys using for rentals? I’m just browsing around and prices are crazy ridiculous.

Always Autoslash, which almost always directs me to Priceline.

2 Likes

Got it, thanks.

If your employer has a corporate rate, check that way also.

I almost always find the best one-way rates this way, from Avis.

Sometimes there are other pleasant surprises, including improved availability.

Unfortunately I’m a contract worker currently so no discounts for me. Will probably need to rent cars in the future as I’m about to get rid of the Highlander.

2 Likes

+1 and always sign up for their loyalty/app which most often allows you to just go straight to the lot without waiting on line

4 Likes

Don’t have a photo of the actual rental yet, but this was required when I finally got to my villa. I reserved a Suzuki Jimney and got some Mitsubishi 3rd row tank. Getting accustomed to driving on the opposite side is interesting enough, but through this POS, a rain storm, and the lane barely accommodates the suv. Oh, and it’s diesel so I paid about $40 in fuel to drive ~70km. :man_facepalming: