Setting a standard for Broker use of rebates in advertisements

Just joined here and am really liking it so far. Even with pre-established deals with the dealerships, these guys are spending hours on people’s behalf’s assuring everything goes smoothly. So I don’t know how your margins are playing out at 5 a month. In an honest opinion, the leasehackr system of taking money upfront over the traditional bird dog system is as transparent as your going to find in the business. Plus, I cannot imagine this website/domain hosting fees for this site is cheap, so we all should be thanking the broker’s for paying 60 a month to keep the lights on for 50k+ users that get this for free without getting swarmed by ads.

2 Likes

Did nobody ever tell you to treat others the way you want to be treated? The way most LH deals work is that the dealership is willing to take a loss to move an additional unit(s) for the month to hit a volume bonus. They are not interested in taking a loss for every single unit they have in inventory, because without the 10 people who got a 3% discount walking in the door, there wouldn’t be 20% blowout BMW loaners. When you share a dealer’s info, they then have to field calls from every Tom, Dick, and Harry for deals they would not normally do which takes away from their resources (salespeople) who make their money off people willing to spend it. If you hurt their bottom line, they will hurt your bottom lineand other’s by not doing business with “leasehackrs”. Having a good relationship with dealerships is key to having a symbiosis between dealers and brokers. Like @Bostoncarconcierge said, there are many people for which sitting in a dealership and going back and forth to reach a target monthly payment and wasting an entire weekend is much more painful than a $400 broker fee which is why some brokers are able to thrive here on LH.

4 Likes

I will have to say you are wrong here. And before you go all crazy, I will give you a real world example of a conversation I had a few weeks ago with a dealer.

I live in NJ and last month had incredible deals on Chevy Bolts. I was calling dealers that had inventory listed on their site, which was very few.

When I called one, he told me he had sold all of his Bolts listed as someone had “figured out all of the rebates” and bought one. He went on to say this person posted it on some “website”, but he didn’t really know. (Hint, it was posted here)

He then said he called every dealer in a 150 mile radius and said if they had any Bolts they wanted them and he would put me on his waiting list. I would be number 2 or 3.

He said he went from selling no Bolts to it being their hottest car. He wants to be the premier Bolt dealer in NJ.

So the moral of the story is the dealer might love traffic driven to them, they can always choose to make the deal or not, but to say they don’t want that free advertising would be wrong in some cases.

2 Likes

Best post in the thread, maybe for 2020.

8 Likes

It’s too bad this thread devolved into some kind of attack the brokers thread. I don’t believe that was the purpose.

The purpose, which I’d like to get back to, is to suggest that the admins set a standard for how brokers should present their deals.

I’m curious if other brokers feel for or against such a standard/rule.

It should not hurt the good brokers and it will only help consumers, particularly those that are more likely to use a broker. Those that don’t have time or patience or interest in developing the skill.

I believe that better transparency in how a deal is presented gives consumers a better experience and fulfills the mission of the site better than what’s been happening lately, which feels more and more like typical dealer advertising tactics.

1 Like

When I’m dumpster diving for a great deal I don’t mind dissecting an offer that was constructed for general consumption, regardless of how it’s presented.

No matter what, I still have to confirm incentives and calculate/estimate sales tax, registration, etc., and regardless, the number that I care most about isn’t the monthly payment – it’s the total cost over the entire term. I know I’m in a small minority on this.

5 Likes

All the ads from reputable brokers here definitely say what incentives are needed to get the advertised price.

The broker is just wasting their own time if they do a bait and switch, I know I do not have time to do such things with the amount of tire kickers I price out every day. Luckily for me Toyota has just 2 incentives and most people do not qualify for military and college grad so I just never advertise that anyway.

I have a hard enough time with people thinking my advertised pricing includes all tax tags fees although I clearly say it doesn’t everywhere I post…

As for dropping dealers names here to undercut brokers, they won’t give you broker pricing for a one off deal 9 times out of 10. We basically get wholesale pricing for the amount of business we bring them along with the time we spend answering questions and vetting the buyer. My dealers name was disclosed here several times and each time the manager called me to reach out to admins to get it removed. Trust me they don’t want the hassle of dealing with hackers. If you do call my dealer for pricing they will quote you at the very least $1500 more then my pricing so paying my fee pays for itself, saves you time, and still saves you much more money then your local dealership.

At the end of the day it’s all about time. And this forum revolves around brokers for a reason. We’re the ones that compete with each other and grind down the dealers to the lowest price possible. One off unicorn deals just give people false expectations, it’s fun to brag but that data is rarely relevant. All our pricing can easily be calculated and you’re more then welcome to shop our deals. I encourage that, and if you get a better price let me know so I can grind my dealer down more!

9 Likes

I agree most say it, but I disagree with some people who are stacking in stuff that most people obviously wouldn’t qualify for, like First Responder discounts. Or in the Jeep world. sometimes they’ll have conquest for a specific brand like Nissan, and they’ll just throw that in there too.

Considering health systems are the largest employers in the country in almost every state you could gear pricing towards them if it’s disclosed. Disclosure is the main variable. And yes it’s a race to the bottom in advertising so people def will use that as a marketing tool to stand out

Most of those discounts don’t apply to just anyone working in a health system.

This chain is getting extremely off topic but my two cents is…

If I were to use a broker, its because the time it takes to find a strong deal takes time and effort and many people value their time/effort more than the money itself. Paying someone $400 dollars is peanuts when you are talking about the type of cars they are offering and if someone is complaining about this fee, they clearly should not be leasing a high-end luxury car. That leads me to believe those who are complaining about broker fees are living above their means and probably in their early, late twenties with zero savings, making 40-50K a year and trying to look cool infront of their friends…

To be frank, even if the broker didn’t do anything but merely gave me the name of the dealer who could get me the quoted price on the broker posting, I’d be more than willing to pay the price. Often times you’ll find, the hardest part is finding the dealership and dealer that is willing to play ball and that is worth something. You pay for the connections, that is the way of life.

Brokers are also a good source for people who have zero understanding of how a lease works and often times is taken advantage of by the sales/dealership tactics that can increase the overall cost of the lease itself.

People need to stop complaining about brokers here, they do a great service whether you use them or not. At the very least, they provide valuable feedback on pricing and what is achievable on brands/models that without them, you would have to find yourself which takes time = money

Try explaining all the mechanics of a lease and what it takes to get a strong deal to a friend that has never leased and traditionally bought a car. Most of the people I explain to either gets overwhelmed, wanting me to do it for them or they say great but never actually move forward because it is foreign to them. Brokers provide a great service to these type of people who don’t want to be involved and also want to know they aren’t being taken advantaged of.

I vote whenever someone posts a deal, they put their yearly income & age. This would be a great data point to look at who can afford/shouldn’t be leasing these types of cars :slight_smile: jk haha

1 Like

So, to me “Add $XXX to taxed incentives if you have Loyalty,…” etc. would make much more sense than “Remove $XXX incentives if you don’t have Loyalty,…”. technically the same, but “Add” feels like more honest advertising.
If I see a BMW offer, I want to see without loyalty, because I don’t have it.

6 Likes

Looks like your employer doesnt have corporate fleet w BMW either

4 Likes

Wrong employer. It’s FSB now

1 Like

What do you mean by treating other the way I’d want to be treated?

I’m well aware of how this industry works, and for the nth time understand the value brokers bring. Not every brokered deal is a “hacked” deal. Many, like the one I negotiated are ordered cars, with a decent discount. Using an ordered car as an example, the instructions to members of the community could simply be to email the build code to the dealer, validate the discount, and complete the credit application. Its not too hard to solve for all the issues mentioned.

Haha, ok. I personally enjoy grinding out deals. I’m not poor, I promise, haha.

My beef with the broker fees is that the community is stifling the non-broker option which is helped by dealer name sharing. Of course new people and uninterested people should use brokers (just like real estate agents). But I believe that people who don’t want to use brokers have a harder time because of the brokers. We’re protecting their loud voice, and their ability to make money. If I were a broker, of course I’d be against any effort to stop the party.

You mention being willing to pay just for the name of the dealer. I’m arguing that I should be able to give it away for free. The brokers aren’t the only people with pricing and dealer information. I’m not advocating that we necessarily open the flood gates on dealers, but there could be a process to make dealer interactions efficient, possibly with set options, permissions obtained from dealers, etc. We could even hide the dealer names, just like brokers do. A small donation to the site could then reveal the dealer name. I’m just brainstorming, but want to make the point that brokers don’t have to be the only solution.

Would this dilute truly hacked deals, yes. But would more consumers save more money overall, I think so.

Its not to undercut brokers, its to help consumers. If I find the pricing and dealer names myself, what claim to brokers have to this information?

This may be true for your dealer(s), but has not been what I’ve seen from my experience. In my experience, if you know what you want, communicate you are shopping around, and are efficient with the dealer’s time, many dealers open with their best price. There are also many dealers that I know not to bother with.

In summary, I don’t think we should prioritize brokers’ businesses at the expense of allowing the sharing of information to consumers. I’ve also been convinced that sharing dealer names isn’t the best idea, but think there has to be another solution.

So wait a minute! You got me a fantastic lease deal on my Tacoma last year (shameless plug) and you are going to rake the leaves on my property too? That broker’s fee was well worth it.

You just have to blow & rake the leaves to the curb and the City of Stamford will take it from there. Just make sure it is done by 11/18 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

No no no I’m the guy who pays the $400 for someone else to do it :slight_smile:

Also that’s awesome Stamford does that wow.

I’ll gas up the redmax now

2 Likes

man, high school me charged way under market :frowning:

2 Likes

And you get a Boston Car Concierge shirt too…super comfortable by the way.