Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

Props to you as no one else on here has shown near your level of knowledge about this process. I appreciate your accurate posts as I no longer have time to read about these as much as I would like.

And yes, the 3.5 trillion bill that is planned to come next is just a generic omnibus spending package/budget. And unless someone in here has a close working relationship with Sen. Manchin, we have no idea what will be in that bill.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m just trying to sort through the noise like everyone else. They don’t make it easy.

1 Like

Tesla will still benefit from this bill even if it isn’t credits to car buyers. Their recent announcement that they’re going to open their charging network to non-teslas means they qualify for further payments.

Autoblog with a bit more speculation today

The most generous “Clean Energy for America Act” (7500/10k/12.5k on new EVs as mentioned above) has no cbo score, pay-fors, or markup yet (it was read once and sent to Senate Finance):

If you are in favor of this, you need to contact your senators and ask them to support S1298 when they get back from recess. I don’t see any hearings for it on the schedule currently.

3 Likes

So what I see in that bill you sent
Bring back $7500 for cars sold after this becomes law (aka no old Bolts or Teslas)

Starting 2022, force the $7500 to only go to individuals and not OEM Banks? (Not sure as this one is really deep and buried)

Not speaking to the merits of this EV credit but I’d guess the specific bill is symbolic. It isn’t passing as stand alone legislation since it can’t get sixty votes in senate.

Since it can only be passed via reconciliation anyhow the Dems will include it in the 3.5 trillion budget package, which they hope to pass via reconciliation, if they want to make it law.

My gut feeling is it doesn’t make it, or a watered down version makes it, but without a CBO score it’s hard to know.

The main point of this proposed change is making the tax credit refundable versus the current non-refundable status quo. That said, I see what you are looking at but without going through the law this section modifies I have no idea how it impact leasing companies.

1 Like

No new EV tax credits in the infrastructure bill correct?

No: what’s being debated/amended in the Senate now is HR3684, section 1211 includes EV Charging stations, but no changes to tax credit (as expected), unless there is a last-minute amendment

3 Likes

Read my lips:
No new tax credits.

United States Politics GIF

2 Likes

And we all know how that went. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Senate amendment passed to restrict the credit to less than $100k income, less than $40k MSRP

But

Thankfully, Sen. Fischer’s amendment is non-binding and is unlikely to be greeted warmly by the House of Representatives

4 Likes

Now we have to wait for the House to come back and debate this.

Thanks for sharing this, I spent yesterday watching CSPAN and reading news/bills to try and find the bill with the amendments: couldn’t find anything.

3 Likes

Thanks for the share. I thought this bit was interesting.

What family earning less than $100,000 is spending more than $40k on a vehicle?

It’s like my home state’s stupid new EV incentives. CT offers extra rebates on EVs if you participate in certain income qualified programs. But again, if you are involved in these programs, you probably can’t afford much of a car let alone an EV.

You guys should see the Tesla boards lighting and up kvetching about this. Personally I think it’s a more than fair compromise and will give manufacturers a boot to the ass to make the cars more accessible out of the gate.

No more cheap etrons but that’s something I’m willing to live with if it targets the programs where they’re actually needed.

6 Likes

My issue with it is twofold: 1) 100k really isn’t “wealthy” depending on family size and geographic location. 2) Something like this could possibly stifle EV development and lead to stagnation. Improved technologies won’t trickle down to lower priced vehicles if manufacturers don’t make more expensive ones with newer tech since everyone is buying the cheap ones for the incentives.

1 Like

Umm, everyone?

7 Likes

This is the right answer.

6 Likes

China doesn’t seem to have a problem with building cheaper EV’s.

2 Likes

China doesn’t have the UAW to deal with, or any serious safety standards to adhere to compared to the US and Europe.

4 Likes