Rumor: US EV credit to increase to $10,000

I guess you could say overregulation stifles innovation then.

1 Like

simpsons-column

2 Likes

HelplessShimmeringJumpingbean-max-1mb

1 Like

Good thing EV’s don’t carry hundreds of pounds of ignitable liquid accelerant. :grin:

2 Likes

All Federal income based benefits are completely unfair in US, as there is huge difference in cost of living. 100k here in North Jersey is like almost poverty level especially if you have family, but in Alabama this would be completely different story.

5 Likes

Don’t kid yourself, even traditionally cheaper regions are quickly approaching cost of living parity with the usual suspects.

3 Likes

A man after my own heart. You can blame the Connecticut Compromise for this. Feds know cost of living is very different. They manage to pay Federal employees based on where they live. They don’t try to say a tax collector in SF should get paid the same as one in Selma.

In fairness, it would be hard to use geographic location for most federal programs due to programmatic limitations. But there are real downsides to not factoring in cost of living for many federal programs.

1 Like

That’s why better not to use this restrictions at all. Because what was ultimate goal/purpose of this? It was to stimulate EV sales/adoption/reduce carbon footprint, not to help low income people to get a car. And if person with 300k income get EV and person with 80k get EV, they both equally contribute to original purpose

Except that the 300K+ income buyer more often than not is just adding to the stable, not replacing their ICE car totally.

The highest polluting vehicles statistically are in the hands of lower income citizens. If there must be subsidy, it should be directed toward those who need it most.

3 Likes

This is typical Democratic thinking this days and those who earn that 300k should pay for that. Again this whole story is not affordable housing, it is aimed to promote EV adoption

1 Like

I don’t even want the purchase subsidy TBH, The onus should be on the manufacturers to make EV’s more affordable.

I do think the gov should throw more money at charging infrastructure and bolstering the grid/power production though since the biggest concern I hear regarding EV’s is range anxiety.

If you build it, they will come.

7 Likes

Is this still true. I know it was conventional wisdom for years but id be interested in post cash for clunkers data. Cash for clunkers got so many of the really cheap inefficient older cars off the road.

The problem is charging infrastructure. Lower income people in urban and suburban areas are very likely to live in apartment buildings which makes home charging difficult. At that point an EV is not practical.

1 Like

Those that earn a certain amount (note I’m not putting an actual dollar amount here because I disagree with a hard limit across the nation) are in a better position to go over to the EV regardless of subsidy when they are ready to change their car. They may also be inclined to change the car sooner to try something new or because their lease is up.

A guy who’s duct taping his car together, has purple smoke coming out of the exhaust and is only passing emission inspection because he keeps slipping $100 to the shop as that’s cheaper than replacing the parts needed for a fix, will not be swayed towards EV until there is enough of a subsidy to make the car cheaper.

1 Like

That stinks - under $40K ?

Takes the Ford Lightning EV out of the picture. :thinking:

Exactly - and those are the same folks that stand to gain the most from adopting new technology. Maintenance costs on an EV, mechanically speaking, are virtually nothing. And instead of spending money on gas to get to their jobs, they would be the ones to benefit the most from community charging points. The tech bro in his Model S is the last person who needs to be charging up for free in those parking spaces city hall.

But alas, enacting good policy is really hard.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/reviews/amp30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/

That’s a very Tesla specific issue list. Anyone can chip a windshield, but only Tesla you need to deal with them for a replacement. The glass roof is again a Tesla direct issue.

As someone mentioned in another thread eTrons require coolant changes. So I agree the biggest misnomer on EV is that it’s completely maintenance free.

While people keep throwing oil changes as an expense for ICE, it’s not that much money especially if you go independent shop or if it was “included” in the cost of the car (and yes I know you pay for it in the price of the car)

It’s absolutely insane to me that Tesla gets away with equipping the equivalent of starter ink cartridges on their cars in the form of tires. What’s the reasoning behind it?

2 Likes

As much as I would love to bash on Tesla some more, it’s kind of an industry issue at this point. From what I’m gathering BMW run flats don’t last that long either.

Run flats in general don’t last as long but they offer some kind of benefit. Tesla is using tires that have 20% less tread than the exact same replacement you would buy from a tire shop. What gives?

1 Like