(Post) Deal Check 2020 A4 - How bad is it?

Impulsively did my first lease back in May and haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since. Of course after it’s all said and done, I discovered Leasehackr and started to do some research.

I now know I got a bad deal, but I’m curious as to how bad and any suggestions on how to get a better deal next time. Hopefully by posting this I’m able to help some other people.

This is my first post here, I’ll do the best I can to post all the necessary info. Sorry in advance for any mistakes.

Dealer: Audi / Porsche Lehi
Vehicle: 2020 Audi A4 Quattro Premium Plus (new)

Here are some screenshots of my lease:

MF: .00090%

Now looking at these again I’m seeing the “Rent charge” (item F) and wondering what that is?! Yikes.

I should also note that the lease changed slightly after these docs - I added PermaPlate glass protection which added about $17/mo to my payment, so I’m currently paying $590.42/mo. Got a huge crack in the windshield just a couple weeks after so I guess I’m glad I did that part, as they’re about $1,200 out of pocket to replace.

The most troubling thing about this lease to me is that with my trade in, I effectively put $9,400 down and my payment is STILL $590/mo. Why didn’t I have this realization at the dealer? Well, as I said this was my first lease and while I consider myself to be good with finances (for the most part), there’s A LOT I didn’t know about leasing. There was also a lot of pressure from my salesperson, the manager, his coworkers, finance lady, etc. Literally everyone on the floor came up and talked to me at some point and was hyping up the deal. In the moment I felt like I was making the right decision.

What are your guys’ thoughts?

I’m still pretty new at all of this, so take what I say w/ a grain of salt, but…

I don’t even understand how this was possible. Did the $8K in cap cost reduction somehow INCLUDE the trade in, rebates, and some portion of the DAS (which was over $9K)?

Is this a 42-mo lease? Is your effective payment is over $800/mo?

The rent charge is a normal part of a lease. It’s like the interest charge. I assume you have no idea what the MF (money factor) was on this deal?

If I’m reading the contract correctly, this is really, really bad. Pray that you don’t total the car (you will lose your down payment) or pray that there was an error made in the contract and that it gets bounced back.

Otherwise, just enjoy the car and do more research for your next lease.

What was the MSRP of the car? That selling price seems awful high for an A4.

Not to rub salt in the wound but your total lease cost is more than my 2020 S5 Sportback with Audicare rolled in.

3 Likes

I am assuming the $8k in cap cost reduction included the trade and rebates, but I’m really not sure.

Yes this is a 42mo lease. If my math is correct (total payments + DAS) then it works out to $798 per month, so technically not over $800, lol.

Just realized that the MF was not listed on those docs - edited my original post to include it (.00090%)

Couldn’t agree with you more. What do you mean by the contract potentially being bounced back?

Good advice, that’s what I’m trying to do.

Dealer listed MSRP as $48,090.

You paid over MSRP???

4 Likes

Oof. Congrats on a good lease deal though! Did you put any money down on yours?

Horrendous, but welcome to LeaseHackr :slight_smile:

Spend as much time on this site as humanly possible

14 Likes

Wow, $1,000 a month (including your downpayment in the monthly) for an A4 has to be a world record.

5 Likes

It seems that way(?). Dealer listed MSRP as $48,090 on another doc I have.

LOL this thread has to be a joke, right??? No one would actually write the dealer told them its a good deal so they assumed it was a good deal, right??? :rofl:

1 Like

If you did this back in May and have been making payments then what’s done is done. The deal definitely funded. Just enjoy the car and make sure you learn from the experience.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean - someone wrote the dealer and told them this was a good deal? Also I wish this was a joke.

I see why all the salesman and coworkers were coming over. Everyone was getting a bonus from that deal.

2 Likes

My guess is that they probably gave OP above book value for their trade to show them what a great deal it was, and then bumped up the selling price accordingly hoping they wouldn’t notice. I’m wondering what the base MF was for these back then, I’m surprised that they didn’t mark that up to the moon too.

1 Like

They all wanted his number for the next lease LOL
:money_mouth_face:

Will do. Appreciate the advice.

I dont know OP still owes 590 a months for 37 months. Totaling the car wouldn’t be a diaster.

4 Likes

Honestly though. It’s really frustrating - makes me want to say something to them but probably not worth it at this point.