Poll: Tesla Model S Plaid vs BMW M5 Competition / Mercedes-AMG E63S

G80 allocations have been getting better but as you probably know, yet another price increase as of Jan 1

1 Like

I actually have a Model Y performance in the garage as well. It’s a lot of fun to drive. Very different experience from an ICE car, but a fun one nonetheless. Worth test driving for sure before drawing comparisons.

1 Like

Spot on, couldn’t have put it better myself

Yea it’s different experience I prefer the barebones interior. Now apple car play would be my wish.

I think the the big issue with exterior is wind resistance which would effect mileage. But race cars account for this, so redesign is definitely due.

The moment you floor the Plaid is the moment you realize that you can never drive a gas-powered car again.

7 Likes

And then you realize you paid 6 figures for a car with worse fit and finish than a 30k Toyota

2 Likes

Who’s paying six figures for a plaid anymore?

3 Likes

This is like comparing an Apple Watch to a Rolex Daytona and saying the Apple Watch is better because it keeps time more accurately - one is a flash-in-the-pan novelty that will be obsolete in short order, the other is a piece of art that will last long into the future (and yes, there are models of the Apple Watch with MSRPs higher than even gray-market Daytonas). Having driven all of the vehicles being considered, yes, the Tesla’s off-the-line-acceleration is impressive, but that’s where the fun ends. I’d hate to live with that car on a long-term basis; my Volvos have better build quality and ride comfort.

1 Like

… and then I floored it.

<< All Smiles >>

1 Like

Tesla fit and finish is old news tbh.
Build quality in the new S/X is top-notch.
Heck in even in my MYP and M3RWD the fit and finish is solid. Nothing squeaks or feels poor quality. I think this is an issue that plagued earlier Teslas.
IMO I think Tesla addressed the build issues.

1 Like

All black Model S Plaid with the 21s makes me drool. I think its one of the best looking cars on the road.

1 Like

This is timely. My car has a flat so I get into my wife’s Volvo to take the kid to golf.

1. Have a key FOB in my pocket
    2: START the car
    3: Put it in gear
    4: Press the Homelink to close the garage door
  2. Press the button to unfold the mirrors

That’s 5 things I don’t have to do in my Plaid. I just get in a press the pedal. The car does the rest.

Oh the craziness! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be fair, driving a Tesla S Plaid is even more cumbersome:

1. Step on the accelerator
  2. Put both hands on the steering wheel while cop writes you up
  3. Pay for Excessive Speeding ticket
  4. Attend 8 hours of traffic school
  5. Repeat Step 1
6 Likes

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Everyone should own and drive at least one “big HP” ICE engine from Audi, BMW or MB in their lifetime (V8, T, TT, SC, 6T or 6SC), or a 6 (turbo or not) in some BMWs or the wonderful 6 in any Porsche (turbo or not).

Not really a choice here until a few years down the road when you will no longer have that choice. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Literally going through this right now. My Volvo lease is ending soon and trying to determine my next vehicle. Just test drove an M550i. Keep telling myself I probably shouldn’t, it’s too much of a splurge…but then I keep thinking about that 4.4 liter twin turbo charged V8…

1 Like

Honestly, the thrill of a good instant torque and acceleration wears off pretty fast.

The LT1 was more fun as a daily driver than the etron GT, even though it was slower.

3 Likes

Do it! I talked myself down from a Panamera Turbo to the 4S (granted, it was mostly because of budget) and my only regret is not just going for the V8. I got plenty of power in my 4S, but that V8 itch is real.

2 Likes

Where are we on these curves now…ICE is the horse and EV is the old ICE…

Oh man…now I am flooded with the memories…

Remember Old Lady GIF by IFHT Films

1 Like