Polestar 2 Long Term Rental AMA

Title says it all. AMA (About the Polestar 2)

1 Like

What longish road trips did you do? Mountains? Did climbing zap your battery?

1 Like

Besides driving dynamics, do you just feel like you’re in a Volvo essentially? Starting to see more of these and I’m digging them. IMO, refreshing in a sea of Tesla.

1 Like

Which reminds me…is the forecast charge more accurate than your Tesla(s)?

Well, let’s see.

There was DFW to Denver metro by way of OK/NM due to CCS chargers not being available through the usual US287 corridor (which is well covered by Tesla)

Mountains in NM/CO mainly but plenty of elevation gain getting there. Headwinds were no treat which made charging deep into the pack on longer sectors a necessity.

500-550wh/mi was common powering through headwinds at 80-85.

1 Like

Ha. Well, Okies only recently got electricity, so there’s that!

2 Likes

Oklahoma has tons of CCS/CHAdeMo charging actually. Texas is losing ground on this one but they seem to take OK’s lead on many things a few years behind them.

1 Like

Definitely feels more tight than the Teslæ.

I think we spotted a grand total of 4 other PS2’s in the wild over the last 11 weeks.

2 Likes

Fellow P2 owner here.
Did you find the lack of a panoramic roof sunshade bothersome (ie heat, light, etc) on longer trips?
I wish I had the option honestly, but looks like Polestar is introducing a removable option for 2023 P2s.

1 Like

BMW broker, do you have any BMWs?

1 Like

Polestar forecast (when mapped) seems to be more pessimistic but overall more trustworthy.

The EPA range is only moderately less optimistic than Tesla’s rated numbers. You need to do a lot of low speed and or surface streets on a single trip to get near rated.

1 Like

We do in the family, yes.

A 330e.

Hasn’t really bothered me all that much tbh. I would consider a heat rejecting tint/film in hotter climates though.

2 Likes

The ABC charge cycle, did you pretty much seek out every CCS (easily) along the way and top up? Did you enjoy that part of the journey? I find we spend time on Maps looking for more local interests while we charge. The airborn pink Caddy is an example…some stuff you just can’t plan to see until you happen upon them.

1 Like

Is your Tesla fixed yet?

Opportunity charging is a good thing.

DCFC facilities tend to run at slower speeds off the interstates and of course most of the free DCFC (Volta, some ChargePoints, and of course the errant BTC unit like the ones at CA safety roadside rest areas) which lends itself well to the charge curve when you’re not that close to empty.

Soon, I hear.

1 Like

Not TC, but I just rented a 64k MSRP Polestar 2, AWD for 6 days in LA, stayed in the hills. The lack of a proper sun shade was indeed an annoyance. More so than that, the middle console area is massive, and plastic for no real reason. Lot of wasted real estate. It provides a bit of a rest for the right knee, and could be used as a rest for the arm if driving with one arm relaxed.

Other than that, loved the car.

2 Likes

The cup holder situation is most vexxing.

1 Like

How would you compare the experience to owning a Tesla? Quality? Charging, driving etc