(OPINION) Some things never change ...GM needs another GOVT bailout .... for the BOLT

General Motors Co. Chief Executive Mary Barra is pressing Washington for an expansion of electric-vehicle tax credits, a plea that would help the company and rivals like Tesla Inc. sell battery-powered cars in an era of cheap gasoline and skepticism about alternative vehicles.

1 Like

GM has done some stupid things in the past, however, I am torn on this one. The government forced electrics with CAFE standards and the CARB rules in California. Outside of California, nobody is really buying EVs in mass quantity, and of all cars sold in CA, EVs still only hold a tiny fraction of the market. Once these federal rebates dry up for each manufacturer, sales will drop even further, as the value won’t be there (outside of those whose primary mission is saving the environment). GM is losing $$$ on the cars as is…they’ll lose even more if they are forced to sell without incentives until volume improves. The infrastructure isn’t quite there yet outside of CA to make EVs a viable option for many. Battery technology is also still relatively expensive, and without volumes of people purchasing, the costs will take time to drop. It’s a vicious cycle.

With that said, Mary Barra also said GM is going to move to a fully electric fleet in the future. She can’t have it both ways.

Like I was saying the other day… And don’t get me wrong there’s some cool stuff going on here, but nobody wants it, at least not at retail.

Tell that to Tesla, sales are going well

As a boutique product maybe, but even tesla wouldn’t sell the model 3 (if you call this selling it) without the incentives.

1 Like

What am I telling to Tesla? Tesla has the same roadblocks as all other EVs. They haven’t turned a profit yet, and utilize the same government subsidies as all other EVs. They may sell more product, but it’s still a very niche product in the grand scheme of things, and most of those sales are in CA. Tesla sold roughly 80,520 cars in 2017. GM sells about 220,000 every month, and that’s just GM (so you can see they are selling, but way behind the ICE big boys). Tesla has a better charging infrastructure, but charging a car still takes longer than filling up at a pump. Folks in line for the Tesla are already bitching and/or dropping out because the government incentives are going to go away before they have a chance to build/buy.

Increase the taxes on gasoline and with the money generated give funds in forms of grants for gas stations to add charging stations. A 10 year transition and the gas stations will still remain relevant. People will also feel the pressure to change to electric and will see there are more options for charging.

If you want to get EVs on the street that is an option or part of a larger option.

IDK if I support that or not. Currently, there isn’t a single EV that I would consider as a daily driver for multiple reasons. To force me into a car I don’t want/like by taxing gas more doesn’t seem like a prudent option. Build an EV that would be practical, look good, be reasonably priced and charge as quick as a fill up, and you’d intrigue me. So far, nobody has done that.

Furthermore, why should those who are not interested in EVs at this time be forced to pay for the EV infrastructure? We’re already paying for our (arguably shitty) road and bridge repairs with gas taxes.

If anything, I’d tax at the EV charging station. Also, charge the EV cars a tax based on how many miles they drive annually, since they’re essentially getting a “free” ride without paying gas taxes. With the cars being tied in to the cloud, this shouldn’t be hard to calculate. They can pay it with their registration.

1 Like

As the technology improves, you would be able to drive even further and use it as a daily driver. Some new charging tech’s are boasting charge times in 10 minutes. The push for EV in general is for an overall cleaner environment. Obviously building/scrapping an EV car still has a carbon footprint but it doesn’t have the 20+ years of fumes produced.

But like any market economy, we wont see a push in EV tech without a demand; legislation can curb and enhance that demand.

I’m happy to see at least some states getting on the bandwagon with regard to EV “gas” taxes. I understand this is a very niche market at the moment, and the taxes are probably negligible, at this time, in the grand scheme of things, but there’s no reason an EV should be able to drive on the highway without supporting it like an ICE would. If the push is on for EV cars, and the EVs continue to take market share, this will become more and more of an issue moving forward, however.

https://insideevs.com/u-s-states-charge-electric-car-fees-make-lost-gas-tax-revenue/

Do you breath air? :smirk:

My EV already refuels faster than my gas car. Plugging in when I park in the garage takes about 5 seconds which is exponentially faster than making a separate stop at a gas station, not to mention waiting in the cold at the pump. Can you imagine if your phone had to be “refueled” as a “phone station” instead of plugging it in over night? It would be ridiculous.

Charging at home covers 99% of my use case (commuting), so to me gas cars are already quite inferior. And we’ve already discussed how superior EVs drive. The environmental stuff is just icing.

1 Like

What are you smoking? Any legislation that would extend the tax credits for GM would also apply to Tesla, Nissan, and everyone else. Your posts shows just how little knowledge you have about the tax credit. GM (nor any other manufacturer) pockets the credit, the CONSUMERS do. Lol

If you’re gonna bash GM, at least post something that isn’t 100% wrong.

So because it applies to you, it’s gospel? :thinking:

I get the “charge inside at night” thing. That’s not the issue. I currently can’t charge my car at work. I currently have to hunt out a charging station and go out of the way if I am on the highway and need to “refuel.” I have to wait and twiddle my thumbs and pick my nose while I do so. And, quite frankly, there’s nothing on the market right now that I would WANT. Apparently, I’m not alone.

Adoption of EV comes down to if infrastructure is there to support it. Who can build / or can add charging station (gas stations/strip center where restuarants/shops /offices). There will never be full adoption or advances to EV if infrastructure is not in place. Is like building a high speed train with only part of the rail in place. At some point if EV is supposed to be the future, then must find ways to build out the infrastructure. If not 10 years from now, we will still be talking about the same issue and why adoption to EV is so slow.

Didn’t we have a SUV tax credit in early 2000s to save the failing US auto industry? That idea was genius, I bet.

Sorry, I didn’t realize only your opinion (the person who has never owned an EV) is valid here on the topic of EVs. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You must be in the tiny minority of Americans if you’re driving greater than 100 miles r/t to work and back. I wouldn’t recommend an EV yet (other than Tesla/Bolt) to that extreme minority of people in that scenario. What distance is your commute? I’ve never charged at work nor needed to.

Limited selection is a real issue, but thankfully has nothing to do with the viability of the powertrain.

1 Like

It really is whatever range you can get while running air conditioning or heating. The person I know who comes close to commuting the advertised range does so without those little amenities. Personally I wouldn’t do what he does.

1 Like

I have no issue with other people’s opinions. Suggesting that an EV (at this point in time) is a viable solution for everyone, is incorrect, however.

There are currently 0 electric vehicles on the market today that would appeal to me. They are either too ugly, cost too much, don’t supply a good enough range, are too small, etc.

I would be able to commute to work on a charge. I have no problems with that. What I do have a problem with, however, is, let’s say I want to take my family on a road trip. With an ICE, no problem. I have a plethora of availability to me, can find one in my price range that meets my needs, and have no worries with regard to stopping and filling up the tank. With an EV, first off, I will need to settle for a car that I’m not in love with, and hope I can cram my family and everything I/they need into it for said trip. I then need to plot out my trip strategically so that I can find an electric charge for a “fill up,” and…wait when that time comes.

Perhaps an EV would suit my needs 75% of the time just fine. Perhaps an EV drives better than an ICE. An EV saves on maintenance charges over an ICE. With that said, if I’m going to consider an EV, I want it to do everything my ICE can do, or, quite frankly, it’s not a viable solution to me. Maybe that’s stupid thinking on my part, but I don’t feel I should have to settle if I’m paying more for an EV than an ICE at this point in time.

Some suggest buying an EV as an “around town car,” and an ICE for whatever else. Why should I/would I purchase 2 vehicles, and hold insurance on 2 vehicles when 1 ICE can do everything I want?

I have no issue with an EV. Provide me something that will do everything my ICE can do, including filling up my car on the road as quickly and conveniently, being an attractive looking car, can haul my family and their junk around, and be reasonably priced and I’d consider one. Until that point, (and I’m not alone), it makes no sense to me. Perhaps things are different on the West coast.

it really sounds like you want a volt

Actually, I’ve considered a Volt. A Volt would be a somewhat perfect compromise for me. It wouldn’t be fantastic on a long road trip like an SUV would, but it would suffice. The Volt has decent looks. I’d at least get 1 way on electric power to/from work, and maybe a portion back. When I could snag a BMW 3 series for less than a Volt, however, I lost interest. I considered a 330e, but they are only RWD, and that wouldn’t work too well in the northern snow belt.