(OPINION) Some things never change ...GM needs another GOVT bailout .... for the BOLT

Definitely and me neither.

Average daily distance traveled by urban household vehicles in the US is 36.5 miles. Average daily distance for rural household vehicles is 48.6 miles.

Both easily handled by even lowly first gen EVs. Obviously there are exceptions at the extremes, as there always are.

I got my 3 year lease on a volt last year (with 15K miles + xs wear insurance) for around $9K. (in practice with GM card benefit + state / utility rebates it came out to under $6K. Today if one can take advantage of the asian rebate, I think one can perhaps do it for around $5K (with 10k miles, a coworker just leased without the rebate for $9700 out of pocket, -$1500 for state - $500 for utility - 2500 for asian rebate)>

seems better than one can do on a 3 series.

but yes, if oneā€™s state doesnā€™t provide these benefits, then it might not be as good a deal.

If you live in CA. PA doesnā€™t have the state/utility rebates like CA does. To qualify, you have to be 200% of the poverty level, and only 500 are approved before they ā€œreassess.ā€ So, I make too much money to get anything but the federal, making the Volt lease no where near as attractive as a 3 series.

Maybe the Asian conquest would helpā€¦but that comes down to being at the right place at the right time. Iā€™m not in a position with either of my leases to jump right now without rolling money into it.

An EV would only work if you also had another vehicle that could drive to over to grandmas house outside of your 100 miles less AC/heating range. That, as others have stated, is the big issue.

I never said they are viable everyone yet, but I would say the powertrain is ready for most, especially those with 2 car households.

If youā€™re going on long distance trip, take the other car unless you have only 1 in your household (in which case Tesla is still the only option out there, much to my dismay with the traditional automakers). A sizable number of Americans own at least 2 cars so again this is still well within reason for many.

I agree with many of your points but I could make the same argument in reverse.

Provide me a gas car that will do everything my EV can do: conveniently refuel at home, run off cheap electricity or even FREE (after upfront costs) solar energy, always leave home with 100% fuel, accelerate like a goddamn silent ninja, react instantly with full torque at any speed (no shifting lag ever), precondition on a daily schedule, instantly put out heat in cold weather, etc.

I might as well disagree also RWD cars work perfectly fine in the snowbelt. :stuck_out_tongue: Thatā€™s where I live and have been driving RWD for over a decade now. Iā€™ll take my RWD car with snow tires over any FWD car with all seasons. In fact thatā€™s the setup I have right now and I always choose the RWD car when thereā€™s snow.

To each their own, but Iā€™ve seen plenty of RWDs climbing a hill on the interstate taking up 3 lanes while the FWD mows through that I wouldnā€™t consider one.

Yes, I have 2 cars, and a play toy that I tinker with. My wife has her SUV, and I have my car. Youā€™re right, we could take the SUV on a trip. But, it still boils down to nothing on the market that either of us would be interested in without settling. Call me crazy, but if Iā€™m spending that much money on a car, I donā€™t want to have to settle (outside of maybe not getting my first color choice, or skipping out on an option). IMO, the EVs out today either cost too much for what you get, or are hideous to look at. Drivetrain/powertrain is important to me, but itā€™s not the only thing.

I think both Teslas, the model S and the model 3, are the nicest EVs on the road right now. The model S is out of my league, price-wise, and the Model 3 is no where near ready for prime time, as it stumbles left and right trying to get out of the gate. I also find the interior hideous, and donā€™t like the fact that one ā€œiPadā€ in the middle of the dash basically controls the entire car. Opinions are like a$$holes thoughā€¦everyoneā€™s got one.

1 Like

Totally! And this is why I harp on companies like GM that completely avoid the charging network discussion entirely. Itā€™s a chicken and egg situation. The comment from Mary Barra in the article posted doesnā€™t commit to anythingā€“it just sounds like sheā€™s asking someone else to do it for them.

Just anecdotally speaking, almost every person I know outside a relative in the middle of Chicago has 2 cars and could easily replace one with an EV today if they chose to.

Not sure where youā€™re going with that. If I recall, it was a stimulus package aimed at small business owners.

Why did I pay for someone to drive a Hummer?

Ask George Bushā€¦

Iā€™d guess they did not have snow tires. Itā€™s like night and day difference.

I agree with your other points. We only have 1 EV so far out of 2 cars for some of the same reasons.

Heā€™s kind of occupied answering my other questions. SUV Tax credit is actually on the bottom of the list.

This thread certainly went off the tracks.

And I would request that the admins (@littleviolette @michael ) change the title of this thread, as it is completely misleading and wrong. Perhaps ā€œGM CEO Mary Barra requests extension of federal tax creditā€ or something like that.

1 Like

As a trusted_hackr, you can change the title. Is it ironic that another trusted_hackr posted this misleading title though? Haha.

2 Likes

OP here - not just any OP but Crystal balls himself :slight_smile:

Freedom of speech - donā€™t like the title? Create your own lol ā€¦ this is not misleading. Misleading is someone who would post $99 BOLT lease and then withhold the fact that there is 3999 cash down.

True but you canā€™t really get a model 3 right now, without waiting 12 months and settling for a variant you may not like ā€¦ Wake me up when ā€¦

Yes people vote with their wallets. Right now, 220k SUVs per month versus 2k Bolts per month. So EVs have lots more room to grow and improve but they are puny part of the market

I think this line of thinking is more suited for Europe and China than the US of A. Here we prefer demand be market-driven

Bottom line
GM will never ever turn a profit on Volt, Bolt or Dolt. They do not know how to make an EV, market it and be profitableā€¦ thanks for playing. And the same probably applies to most ICE car makers. Hence the tile - without subsidies/bailout, GM sees the writing on the wall for its BOLT

I even know the guy with crystal balls here who posts bait-and-switch dealer ads without any disclosures, like they are really awesome deals.

And many are a complete mess if you can get one, but I digress

You mean the Alfa Romeo $299 ads? Yeah that guy sucks ā€¦ He doesnā€™t tell us about the 2999 ccr + 799 dealer ā€œprocessingā€ fee
/original/2X/6/6f8a7932b907d85780072935b0f18dfb080b5884.jpg

That is why I posted the link (instead of another screenshot) to the full disclosure in the same post. But itā€™s for people who can read.