Off Topic Landfill 2

It reminds me of this article I read about psychology that says a loss hurts twice as much as the good you feel on a win.
So true and when I’m down or make a bad trade I always think about it and it gives me a good chuckle. Keeps me in the game and my emotions in check :person_in_lotus_position:

1 Like

In my opinion it has genuinely turned into the least enjoyable time to be active in the markets whether you’re making money or not. Not to mention seeing the staggering statistics of death and suffering that determine if people make a buck or not. Regardless, I spent many years in the crypto markets which was akin to straight up gambling a lot of the time. This feels oddly similar.

1 Like

Bear market will do that to you emotions. Every time.

2 Likes

Not remotely similar because Japan isn’t the reserve currency of the world. As we print more, more is being taken out of circulation because people are hoarding it.

Hoarding it? Or bidding up the price of real assets with it? Everything is in a bubble, including money supply

Ive done the same as of today for any accounts with no tax consequences…for the first time in my life (as I have been a die hard buy and holder).

1 Like

I usually have a very high risk tolerance but these swings are too much for me. Most of the moves come over night so I can’t set stop losses etc. and I don’t have time to constantly be looking at my portfolio every minute. It’s an election year anyway, great time to enjoy the summer (if we’re allowed to) and assess the geopolitical landscape and invest accordingly after the election.

Sounds like a good plan to me✔️ Ill be happy to be making 0.5-1.5% for a bit…

My daughter starts college in 2 years and seeing her literally lose a years worth of tuition in a few weeks this close to when well want to use the 529 account was the final straw. Theres just not enough time left to recover if we get hit with the W type rebound some folks are predicting.

1 Like

After everyone gets to experience online learning and get to taste a flavor of the idea not to pay for room and meal plan - may be thing will be different in two years.
Plus, there is a chance not every college will make out on the other end of these events.

1 Like

Sorry the market was down 20-30% at the peak. It has recovered to 10-15%. I hope you didn’t sell it when it is low.

I dumped some on Friday. I am mad I didn’t dump more and hoard more cash

Sorry to hear about bout your loss. With college so close, what was the percentage of this account in stocks?
I am thinking about starting 529 for the first grandson just recently born. As one cannot invest in individual stock in 529, and what I read only possible to change the investment twice in a year, I am deciding whether to go with an index fund and at least partially time the market over the next year (like invest on downturn etc.)

I have a 529. The return is pretty horrific. I would never make that my kid’s primary college fund choice.

A 529 is just a type of account that is very much tax advantaged for secondary education purposes. Its not an investment in itself.

1 Like

We are all in the same boat :slight_smile: All is still going to be fine withcollege, so the end result will be the same. I’m just whining like everyone else about the recent losses​:crazy_face:

Let’s hope so. That whole system needs to collapse. The investment return on a college education just isn’t worth it these days for most areas of study.

You must be in the wrong field, most juniors we hire have masters. It’s doubtful one can get hired without a college degree. THe pre-req for all my jobs is a college degree.

What jobs are those?

What’s the starting salary?

How much does a typical Bachelor’s degree cost?

How much more does a master’s degree cost?

Now let’s talk about the return on those monies spent.

That’s what his point was.

You’re probably right. But his point is exactly that, is college degree providing a good value on the investment made?

I would also point out value of college education is further eroded in the current environment where nepotism seems to trump all.

1 Like

I’m not debating that the system falsely perpetuates the “need” for college degrees, and the industry of those degrees. There’s just few jobs that actually necessitate the years spent when appropriate training could have the same outcome. You have companies like enterprise rental car that require a bachelors, that’s not bc the skills involved require it, it’s the fact that so many graduates are desperate for a job that they can require it. Also no one makes a better “slave” then someone that’s indebted through loans and has to work to pay them back. And I use the word slave bc are they really free to choose their career path when faced with financial ruin if they miss loan payments? Laws were written to keep them enslaved regardless of their ability to pay…and he’s they weren’t forced into debt. But they were conditioned that they must go to college to be successful. And at 18 they hardly understand the impact of that debt in their future. After all, at 18 we all think we will be millionaires and live the “American dream”.

Biggest issue is the unexplainable rise in college tuition and lack of “real” advice. Who in the right mind can advise someone to spend 20k/year (on a low end) for close to 80 to 100k on a 4 year degree to find a 40-50k job?