Newbie looking for comments on this Porsche 911 c4s deal. TIA

fair point, it’s all theoretical at this point. Better to leave no stone unturned than to not even discuss the point. But yeah it’s all conjecture, he could never have a scratch on the car.

But even then, one must consider how likely they think it is for a moderate/major accident to happen in a 3.5 year span and how high of a value hit one thinks they’ll get nailed with. Even at a very high instance rate, let’s so 50%,you’d have to be sure the median value loss would be 37% to be worth giving up 18.5% of the value ‘upfront’. To me, it doesn’t pencil, but only the OP can answer how they feel.

right, like when I said peace of mind is a few hundred dollars for some and 10s of thousands for others.

Except you’re not comparing the $13k to the upfront value but to the amount of effort it’d take to deal with the insurance

1 Like

True, if you are able to recover diminished value, even partially, from insurance, you’re not even likely to be out much in the end. Make a few calls, write a few letters, provide a few comps. $13.5k is a lot to give up just so that you don’t even need to try.

This is my favorite post ever. I don’t understand how this basic math is so elusive to so many. IMO it’s just ignored because of purchase phobia. And that’s an absolute worst case with a super low RV and no money down finance (and if you can afford to buy a 911, you should probably have some play money sitting in an account…).

IMO most of the time (there have been exceptions like the Cayman deals a year or so ago) Porsche is leasing cars to people who cannot afford to buy a Porsche. There are no incentives, the MF is sky high, and the RV is not subvented (a 7 series has a higher RV!). If you can’t afford to buy a Porsche 911, you can’t afford to lease if.

Ive claimed diminished value twice in the 2 accidents I’ve ever claimed on which is a 100% success rate. It wasn’t very difficult and took only a couple hours of my time, but I can imagine how it could be if you have the general or some other ghetto insurance policy that’s dirt cheap for a reason.

3 Likes

NY taxes the lease monthly payments, so you shouldn’t exclude sales tax because it can make a big difference, especially on a $134k vehicle.

1 Like

While I agree with most of the comments posted here, as someone who has leased 7 P-cars over the last decade - here’s my humble opinion:

A MY21 C4S Cpe has a base price of $123,750 (inclusive of destination). I am not sure of the exact MSRP on a MY20, but I assume it’s a few thousand lower. That said, while I believe that the proposed car has too many options, if it suits your needs and you “love” it - try to secure 11% off the MSRP instead of the 8.5% you believe you are being offered. This will not be easy, as Porsche recently reopened its factories and dealers are holding on to their lot units in an effort to obtain higher margins in light of the impending drought.

The residual for a 42/7.5k lease = 56%, while the residual for a 42/10k lease = 55%. If you add the maintenance plan, the residual is increased by 1%, as such, you will offset a portion of the cost for same. If you decide to lease, I would recommend a 10k mile contract. You are paying a lot of money for this Tonka and you might as well enjoy it. BTW - PFS does not allow for anticipated excess mileage if you write a 7.5k contract. As such, do not underestimate the amount of driving. This can easily happen as 911s are a joy to drive.

As others have suggested, it may make sense for you to finance your purchase and take advantage of the low interest rates vs. PFS’ 4.8% Level 1 buy rate. However, make no mistake, if this car is damaged in any way, shape or form (key job to collision) - it WILL take a huge hit (especially if the incident is picked up by Carfax). If that occurs, it will be no easy task to obtain a proper settlement from your carrier (A+ rated or not) for you to come out unscathed. To be clear, an accident amounting to roughly $2k in damages (the equivalent of a 5 - 10 mph nudge to your bumper) will require a diminished value settlement of at least $5k - $7k to keep you somewhat afloat. Good luck with obtaining diminished value and OEM in lieu of aftermarket or recycled parts (if available) for your repair (grab a hold of your insurance policies and a good “bottle” of whisky while you read the small print therein). Irrespective of same, those who are interested in purchasing used P-cars are fanatics and the majority of them will not agree to pay top dollar for a damaged car - no matter how precise the repairs. This is especially true of a car with a window sticker in excess of $146k. Quite simply, the majority of people who are able and/or willing to spend over $150k on a car prefer an impeccable specimen and will pass on your damaged unit. They will not be interested in saving a few thousand or ten thousand (or more) to acquire a damaged car. To be sure, I chuckle when I read LH posts regarding those who have leased a BMW (not a hater - my wife has an i3) and discuss how they endlessly gaze at their cars. Porsche fanatics sleep alongside their cars:

https://www.porsche-design.com/en/pd-about/ueber-uns/porsche-design-towers/TowerMiami/

5 Likes

LMAOOOOO :rofl:

Excellent points everyone and great discussion.

I agree with people who are saying that most likely leasing doesn’t make any sense if you look purely from a financial stand point. But my heart was set at a specific color combo and 911 c4s and I (at the risk of coming across braggadocious) am willing to pay extra money for that. And the fact that I will drive brand new car and walk away at the end of lease.

So I ended up getting the car today. Drove it back home and absolutely loved it. They reduced the term to 36 months (instead of 42) with same price with 3 maintenances and all weather mats.

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I’m confused what the color combo and being a 911 c4s has to do with leasing it vs purchasing it

2 Likes

It’s done… congratulations! Post pics in the Trophy Garage!

Color combo and c4s has to do with ‘there were only a handful in tristate area and hence negotiating couldn’t be as aggressive as it could’ve been’

Leasing vs buying - I actually never asked that question. That’s just the discussion which ensued. I wanted to lease it because of reasons I mentioned above. Maybe down the road when I grow older/smarter - then will buy :wink:

A 36 month term equates to a 4% higher residual for either 7.5k (60%) or 10k miles (59%), plus 1% for maintenance plan.

In any event, enjoy the car and drive it in good health.

For $1150 you won’t get a Vantage that has any use as a daily driver though, just not enough miles baked in.

Congrats. D
Enjoy and drive safely with no accidents, even if it is a lease :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Enjoy it, Astons look good, but nothing beats a 911!

I recently leased a 911 here in SoCal. And I am on every local dealers email list. Porsche has little to no inventory for Cayennes or Macans. They do have 911s and seem willing to deal. The SoCal Porsche dealer sites only seem to list 911s as “specials” or deals.

I’d say this is a straight forward offer. High MSRP optioned 911 for a sub $2000 payment.

congrats, you gotta show us pics! def show the window sticker as well

What’s the best lease special you’ve seen lately? I noticed some are discounting up to 11k on the 2020’s.