My ridiculous 2019 4 series lease ended; what compact luxury SUV should I get?

Dont worry about what dealer listed on the website, email/call around and give them your price ask if they could make it possible. Some dealers have price match&beat policy you could take the advantage and compete prices for bit.
For unresponsive or stubborn dealers fixated on price, just walk away. They’re likely not motivated to sell or restricted by their invoice prices. Find a dealer who values your business and is willing to provide reasonable discounts.
The cheapest 45 trims are 45 premium, they are 50k-53k depends on different add ons (usually pano roof, convenience pckg, 19 wheel, audi beam, illuminated front badge and cargo cover, noted that white is a free paint so it’s always cheaper than other colors w same equipment)
I’m not sure about MF right now, mine was around .0024. but with the tax policy in NJ you should be able to get great deals once a dealer agree to 8-10%+ off dealer discount. Dont be afraid to push for 10%+ tho :wink: i mean if they don’t sell it, you don’t buy it, that simple

1 Like

Discount is only one ingredient. You also need RV, MF and rebates to be favorable. Check Share Deals & Tips

1 Like

@kekirius Your advice has been on-point. Really helpful, thank you so much.

Are there any good guides or tips on how to send initial offers via email and communication best practices? I searched Share Deals & Tips but couldn’t find an intro/primer.

It’s been discussed before, just not necessarily in that sub. Try Off-Ramp as we’ll.

First step is to research on the max discounts of the model you want (most brokers here give 8%-10% on q5. but you can def push for more), also get an idea of current incentive/rebates you are qualified (Q5 qualifies for 1500 summer sales event) you can browser broker deals as a reference if you decide not to use one. You can also check what others got on the “Signed!” cate, I’ve also posted my contract on there

Then you can either take the offer to the dealer and ask them to match it, or you can directly ask for the discounts after they provide their quotes (usually terrible). Once a dealer is willing to provide a decent quote in writing, email it to other dealers for a price match.

Some negotiation tips:

• Ignore when sales rep asks you how much down you want to put, instead, ask them how much discounts they are willing to put before all the incentives + rebates

• Negotiate price via email or text, confirm before visiting. Most people have pressure with in-person negotiation, and sales tactics can lead to deals above your desired price.

• By asking relevant questions like the MF (money factor) and residual value, you can make it clear to the salesperson that you understand leasing. Instead of directly answering their questions (e.g., “When do you plan to come to the dealership?” or “What monthly payment can you afford?”), try to steer the conversation in your desired direction. For example, “If you can offer that discount, I’m ready to come to the dealership and sign the paperwork today.”

2 Likes

Thanks @kekirius!

For anyone else interested in the question about process, I found a good detailed post from 2019 about the process a hackr used to get his 2019 BMW 430i. Obviously the numbers are ridiculously low compared to today’s market, but I think the process is still relevant. Signed: 2019 BMW 430iXdrive Gran Coupe $263/mo 1k DAS (NJ) 🦄!

@max_g does that process look right to you?

1 Like

I’m narrowing in on the Q5. Any Audi experts know if it’s even worth looking into the Q5e? I’d love to go hybrid, but the other hybrids I’ve looked into (Tonale, Rav4 Prime) have no discounts. If it’s not worth my time, I’d be happy to get the Q5 45 but figured I’d ask about the Q5e before wasting my time.

You missed the subtext/context behind those posts from the BC (before chip-shortage) era. It’s like asking a shark to teach you how to swim. It doesn’t tell you to first get in the water because the water’s all around it, does it even need to be mentioned?

So first, get in the water. The process begins with identifying makes/models that have the quadfecta of discount, rebate, RV and MF.

Without that any other “process” is a waste of time. Michael Phelps can’t teach you to swim on dry land.

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback. Can you point me in a more helpful direction?

1 Like

There’s nothing in your list that meets the quadfecta rule. So, it doesn’t matter how you negotiate. You can’t will yourself into a way that beats the math of RV, MF, etc.

Like I said earlier, lease the RAV4 Prime followed by immediate buyout.

I like my '21 q5e mostly due to its excellent acceleration. The biggest drawback is small battery capacity. I live in an apt bldg and having to recharge so frequently on a shared charger is annoying. I use gas mode on the highway.

Do the newer models have better battery capacity?

2023 is still a pitifully low 23 miles of electric only range.

I narrowed down my choices to a Q5 or a Stelvio. Trying to figure out how to get the best deal on either.

I reached out to a local Alfa dealer that has a few of 2023 Stelvios on the lot and asked for the best sales price. They quoted a $55,655 MSRP and offered available incentives:

$2000 National Retail Consumer Cash
$750 Retail Bonus Cash
$2000 Englewood Cliffs Exclusive Bonus Cash

I thanked them for getting back to me but told them this wasn’t competitive to other dealer prices I’ve heard. I told them I’d need to see 15%+ off MSRP (based on what I’d seen brokers quote) to make it competitive. I told them I preferred to give business to my local dealership if they could get to $46k-$47k pre-incentives.

The response I got was, “Of course! I’d be more than happy to match or beat any deal you received from other dealers. Do you have any written offers so I can either match or beat? We’d love the opportunity to earn your business.”

Did I screw up or is there a good response in this situation?

I got you fam

5 Likes

:joy: Perfect, all set… except you forgot to sign it:

“sincerely,
a different dealer”

If you’re getting this from brokers, why don’t you take it?

Sorry, I misstated and should have clarified, I’m asking for a larger discount. Best broker deal I’ve seen has been for 13% all in. I’m trying to get to at least 15% plus bonus cash.

Good luck, but realistically no shot. The best offer you’ve seen from a broker is at 4% discount before incentives. How do you think you’ll get to 15%?

Yes, look at a new 2023 or 24 Toyota Crown. I just bought one and its amazing. If you looked at the Rav4 prime, but are considering a sedan, check that one. There are 3 models: Xle, limited, platinum. If you have a “need for speed” the platinum will be the one. Instead, if you want 41 miles per gallon, choose the limited or XLE for “economy” luxury. I chose the limited…its the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned at least 100 cars.

Appreciate the suggestion. I need more cargo space than what my 430i gran coupe gives me, so I’m pretty locked into a compact SUV.