My ridiculous 2019 4 series lease ended; what compact luxury SUV should I get?

I had a ridiculously cheap BMW 430i lease that just ended. I’m looking for a new lease in NJ for a compact luxury SUV. Looking for something sporty with decent cargo space. Nothing too long, since I often street park in NYC. Bonus points if it’s a phev.

Cars I’ve driven that I like: Audi Q5, Alfa Romeo Tonale, Toyota Rav4 Prime, Porsche Macan.

Cars that I’ve disliked: Cadillac XT4, Mercedes GLC, BMW x3

Cars I’m considering but haven’t driven yet: Infiniti Q55, Volvo xc40, Volvo xc60, Acura RDX

Are there other cars I should look at? What is my best bet for a good lease deal?

What was wrong with the Merc GLC? I was looking at it but I haven’t had a chance to test drive. Mediocre luxury?

Try Volvo XC40. Great size for parallel parking.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s on my list to still test drive. Just updated the post with other cars I’m considering but haven’t driven yet.

1 Like

My in-laws just got this car, and I drove theirs. It’s a really soft ride and has some smart features, but not at all sporty. Really weak pick-me-up. It meets their needs but falls short of the things I’m looking for.

1 Like

Volvo C40 EV leases well if you are considering EVs.

I don’t know that you’ll find the XC60 platform super sporty coming from a 430, but you have to feel it for yourself. The chassis turning on it is rather soft. When I had my 2020 MY it felt like a small yacht turning.

X3 is probably what’s going to feel most familiar to you.

Macan is in a totally different price range.

1 Like

Have you looked at the Genesis GV60 or GV70? May not lease very well though.

1 Like

I would love to consider an EV, but the public charging infrastructure in NYC, where I park most of the time, is non-existent

Thanks for the input! I’ll drive Volvo this week.

I was really disappointed by the X3. The acceleration felt delayed and underpowered.

Yes, for leases Macan is definitely way more. My thinking there is that buying a CPO and reselling in a few years would be less expensive than a lot of the lease deals I’m seeing. Honestly, I will pass on this option unless I can’t find ANY decent lease deal.

Yes, forgot to mention. I drove the GV70 last year. Though not as sporty as some of these others, I thought the overall package was fantastic. The leases were awful though. Not sure if it changed this year, but I haven’t seen any incentives or hacks to be had on Genesis.

Weird, we have had ours for almost 4 years and love it…did you try sport mode?

1 Like

My biggest complaint on the XC40 is the infotainment. It’s so dumbed down that it won’t even show my tire pressure on my TPMS, just 4 rings that are either green or brown.

Interesting. Almost all other cars you mentioned are slower 0-60 than the X3. If you think the X3 has slow pickup, I don’t know if you’ll find the others better.

Might be worth the X3 M40i

Either they exist in the Marketplace so you can check pricing for your personal circumstances (such as loyalty/Costco/MSD/etc or lack thereof) … or they don’t, in which case you can forget about them.

There’s no point having this discussion until you’ve ruled out what’s in your budget and what’s not.

If you’re going to buy the Tonale, save 15k and buy the Dodge Hornet instead.

1 Like

From the cars you’ve driven, the Audi Q5, Alfa Romeo Tonale, Toyota Rav4 Prime, and Porsche Macan seem to be up your alley. But the Cadillac XT4, Mercedes GLC, and BMW x3 weren’t your jam, got it. You’re considering the Infiniti Q55, Volvo xc40, Volvo xc60, and Acura RDX, which are all solid options. If you’re up for it, you could also check out the Lexus NX, Jaguar E-Pace, or the Range Rover Evoque. As for snagging a sweet lease deal, I’d recommend doing some homework, comparing prices, and negotiating like a boss at different dealerships. Good luck, dude!

1 Like

I have a bunch of primes at msrp if you go that route…

1 Like

There were some decent marketplace deals last month on the Q5 and maybe even SQ5 if you need more power.

Not sure what’s out there for July but maybe start there if you liked the Q5.

1 Like

XC40 electric was surprisingly peppy and tight. I liked it. It’s based on the CMA platform, which is shared with C40 and Polestar 2 but not with the larger offerings from Volvo. The smaller cargo & 2nd row space was the downside. I don’t know how the XC40 ICE would drive.

1 Like