My EQS mess....50k battery replacement

I was one of the very fortunate ones to get a great deal on a EQS. I’m thrilled with the car, the leasing agent and the entire experience I had. This is not a complaint per se, but just sharing my absolute shock at replacing the battery (thank goodness for insurance).

My wife and I have driven the EQS for about 2000-3000 miles, mostly just picking up kids from school, short costco trips - we are safe drivers, and are very careful as this is an expensive car. My wife came home the other day, and the car was leaking coolant. I thought, loose hose, etc and took it directly to Mercedes.

Repair estimate to fix 49,000. HOLLLY CRAP. Apparently a road hazard punctured thru our battery, it is a small hole (looks like a bullet hole but it isn’t) and requires the entire battery to be replaced. There are not many available and they are extremely expensive (more than double tesla batteries)

Just wanted to share my shock at the cost. We’ll be OK - but wow.

18 Likes

Yikes yikes yikes

Overpriced car costs a fortune to repair. No shock there.

Thank goodness for insurance indeed!

12 Likes

Ugh.

You should add this to the super thread as a DP.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture?

It’s scary if it’s a road hazard that caused this because EVs should have adequate protection for the battery.

There have been other complaints of coolant leaks and I’m wondering if there is a design issue here.

6 Likes

Start a YouTube channel

11 Likes

Since this is an insurance repair, it should eventually show up on carfax. Luckily you are leasing.

5 Likes

24 Likes

Pretty wild that the underbody was pierced with a road hazard that was apparently not significant enough to be memorable.

14 Likes

Kinda scary to be honest. Punctured cells can lead to fire. Lithium battery fires are quite intense and very hard to extinguish.

6 Likes

I agree - I had a model S and it was armored on the bottom. This does not appear to have the same level of protection. The first pic is the shield and it doesn’t seem to be that tough. I kind of freaked out afterwards thinking I could have had a ticking bomb in my garage.

1 Like

Wow… what kind of hoods are you driving through? Maybe there was some GTA action you were not aware of.

I agree with @HDB … seems like you would remember that.

3 Likes

yeah op you’re really lucky that this wasn’t more serious.

i’d call MB USA and read them the riot act about how their 100k electric car battery isn’t properly protected from road hazards. unless you drove over a giant rotating spike i can’t possible imagine what would not make this a design flaw. maybe call NTSB?

6 Likes

With availability being scarce and the cost of the repair being this outrageous are we even sure that the insurance company isn’t going to total it?

1 Like

This is the hellcat not eqs what do you mean?

It would need to be 80% of value to total - this hits at about 50% - so not total.

We are honestly very careful drivers. My one complaint about this car is it rides a bit low. I don’t recall a “bottom out” or anything like this. In any event - going over a speedbump shouldn’t puncture the car - unless there was a rebar or something sticking out. We drive it so local so we retraced our steps - and didn’t find anything. Puts alot of doubt in every day driving.

Repair is going to be to unplug the old one and plug in the new one…

2 Likes

Do you have the sedan or the SUV?

I can sympathize. My EQS is having battery drain problems and can’t be driven (or towed). Waiting for Mercedes to figure out what to do.

FTFY

2 Likes