Mercedes Stop Sale

No, they aren’t going to do that. My guess is they will replace it with huge incentive

Interesting, didn’t realize that it was due to a stop sale. So I should wait until the stop sale is lifted? Is that the consensus? @derekoh1991

Might as well.

Man, you gotta be super-broke for the bus to be free.

That’s great I spoke them that dealer on the SL and they basically said the same thing. But they did move all of the SLs before year end. However, not sure of the discounts that were giving.

Hopefully not the same issues allegedly plaguing another luxury brand

If it’s unsold and violates UFLPA :confounded: - still waiting for updates from affected OEMs (many dealers may still be in the dark). Link below has more discussion about UFLPA in the context of batteries, still may apply.

Would the carfax tell us about the recall? Going to try to see if I can pull one up

If it’s this then no — it’s not a recall, it’s a stop-sale that may eventually force a recall but it’s not safety related so there really isn’t a mechanism yet to trigger one.

1 Like

Lol I wonder if there’s something going on with these expensive German cars… basically constrain supply to bump up used car prices. Then throttle production of new vehicles since they probably weren’t going to be profitable anyway. Conspiracy!

1 Like

Would be surprised if this was only limited to the 2023’s

Santa Monica MB has a 2022 580 in Grey Magno. Maybe you can offer them 50% off and see what happens heh. Stop sale should only affect 2023. Right?

https://www.wisimonson.net/new/Mercedes-Benz/2022-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-in+Santa+Monica+CA-ee9a61870a0e094a5fad348dc8a61c0d.htm

No lease support on the 2022’s!

IANAL but it went into effect June 2022 so I doubt it will look further back than that. The law is pretty thin and authority to enforce belongs to CBP, so likely limited to denying import and/or prohibiting sale of goods that violate. The rest is up to the lawyers.

What would really suck, hypothetically, is if the aluminum heads (or other internals) in the engine of your ready-to-sell/stuck-at-port luxury car are in violation.

Need help from

@BENZORNOTHING
@cbergman
@oarfish18

I’m pretty sure lease support ended on all MB 2022’s even the SLs

I’m not a big conspiracy guy but it seems pretty valid with that reasoning behind it. Very curious to see how all this plays out in the upcoming months.

The recall on 23 S580’s is fuel pump related, no ETA currently. It has to do with one of the impellors moving fuel around, so that is something they will take a bit of time on. Usually Benz gets an ETA on recalls within a few weeks, so if they can get a fix quickly, they probably wouldn’t extend lease support. If it is more than 90 days, they MIGHT extend lease support. That said, there are less than 100 23 S580’s, and around 40 23 S580E’s left in the country from what I can see. 80 of them or so are effected by the stop sale. I doubt they would extend lease support for ~80 cars.

6 Likes

Ohhh it’s for that fuel pump recall? That news is like a month old though. Why didn’t they stop-sell sooner?

That hits way more than just the S Class. It affected many ICE vehicles in 2021, 2022, and early 2023 calendar year.

S500 and Maybachs are also effected, so that adds a few hundred more units for the stop sale. That’s still about $45mm of aged inventory to try and move later. It’s worth it for MB-USA to set aside say $5mm to delay the lease program to help dealers get this off their floorplan later. Best part is through accounting magic this $5mm could probably get rolled in as a COGS instead of contra-revenue or sales-expense. Gotta keep the S&M budgets clean.

Luckily @djrabbi 's GLE63 isn’t affected. Since a car that won’t start can’t stall due to the fuel pump.

Well, my car wasn’t affected by another recall but it ended up having the same issue as the recall. So recalls are a joke at this point

If you can get a S580 for 50% off MSRP, then you can just finance it right?

Yeah, I know they aren’t doing 50% off MSRP, but I really do wonder what is MMR on a low-mileage 2022 S580. They’ll probably take MMR + pack at this point just to get rid of it. But then again it’s probably super lot-rotted and you wouldn’t want it. Shrug.