Mercedes No Longer Restricting Third Party Lease Buyouts

Six months ago, a local Mercedes dealer offered me $5,000 over my lease buyout for my 2020 GLB250. Today, I asked again and they said they have too many 2020 cars and couldn’t make me an offer.

I then called Mercedes Benz financial and asked if they still restrict third party buyouts and they said no. The rep says you can take it to CarMax and sell it to them.

4 Likes

Thanks - confirms the update from July 14th

Whether or not Carmax will buy them, check the latest version of “the sign”

But there are other options

2 Likes

would be awesome to hear if carmax beat the residual or passed.

Carmax isn’t a great benchmark of third-party offers IMO.

Exactly.

3 Likes

CarMax insists that I come in for a quote. I made an appointment for Saturday.
Autonation is about $2k over residual.
Carvana is about $2500 over residual.
ALGO was about $1,000 UNDER residual.

You have 6-12 months left on this lease? You want to compare their offers to the payoff, not the residual.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I’m doing I just didn’t want to include too many details. :slight_smile:

@drdvrgs - trying to get into a G wagon, now? :joy:

1 Like

you dont want the smoke

Bmwfs next?

1 Like

Just in time for all bmw lease returns to be worthless

8 Likes

As an update to this thread

In MB Leases there is a special section now that juices everyones payoff by 4% (more or less) reads as follows

"21b.) Purchase Option → Before Scheduled Termination

"1.) Standard lease - Early Purchase Option Price - If this is a standard lease as indicated on page 1 of the lease, the early purchase option price is the sum of a.) any lease payments or other amounts due under the lease at the time of termination plus all fees and taxes assessed on or billed in connection with this lease or the vehicle, plus an amount equal to the vehicle turn-in fee, plus the adjusted lease balance, plus 4% of the adjusted lease balance."

So looks like MB will be applying a premium of 4% of remaining payments (net of interest) plus dispo to all buyouts moving forward, which is especially punitive to people selling their lease very close to when they bought it (esp for the G-Wagon lessee’s). Another example of why finance can be a better route on these.

1 Like

this has been there for a long time.

they dont want those EQS flipped

4 Likes

Signed on April 27 2023, my MBFS lease contract doesnt have the 4% verbiage.

The footer of my contract has the MBFS contract form number EC-001-5040 CA (02/23). I guess non-CA leases have the 4%?

1 Like

Yea AFAIK the 4% penalty depends on the state.

My MBFS lease signed in December 2020 in Illinois certainly has it.

1 Like