How is your new ride?

Of course it was.

GLC cannot be traded unless the dealership has a connection to MB dealership or the auto group has MB dealership

Matter of fact is I took it to Porsche and they bought it from MBFS for the pay-off amount, gave them POA to deal with it. I don’t know how will they handle it internally, may be will send to a sister dealership that sells MB, I just have no idea.

Don’t think it works that way, but okay

Regarding points 2 and 3, wouldn’t you have discovered these traits during a test drive of the vehicle? The difference in acceleration between your two cars is probably due to the 4matic rather than anything with the engine. Also, you aren’t going to be doing sudden maneuvers in a 4200 lb SUV, no matter what the badge on the side says. Especially since you have a base model with all seasons.

But yes, a badge engineered Audi Q5 will be a great everyday car. Enjoy it in good health.

1 Like

I was under the impression that third party buyouts from MBFS is allowed whether or not they are affiliated with a MB dealer.

I have no idea how it works. All I know I brought it to Porsche with CarMax certificate and they wrote lease contract with full credit for GLC in the amount of pay-off quote.

Don’t think they opened it back since COVID

Thank you!

I twill speculate that the difference is due to weight to power ratio. Newer gen GLC (a bigger, heavier car) which inherited a slightly more powerful but still basically the same I4 Turbo of previous gen GLC is also clocking 6 or 6.1 sec in 0-60 (unlike 5.7 sec for its predecessor). I wasn’t concerned about fast acceleration, this car is not for my daily drive or for me in general. The one for whom it was intended is very happy with its acceleration as is. I just share my personal driving impression about the car we just leased.

I will also note that >IMHO< this car shares very little if anything with Audi Q5, except for the VW motor and the plant in Leipzig where both cars (as I have been told) are manufactured.

If he got it from Tysons or Chantilly, it is Penske. They have MB dealer next door.

I was actually going to interview at Chantilly before I moved to MB, haha

1 Like

You are incredibly self aware with that statement, and also incredibly self unaware at the same time.

They started allowing it again earlier this year

I guess you refer to below? If yes, few additional details:

1. In general I don’t care who doesn’t want to work with me. Fortunately, there is no monopoly on car dealing, there is always plenty of choice out there. When dealer doesn’t work with me I take it as a blessing, we both save time not wasted and I find another dealer who is happy to work and sell me what I want. It’s much better than saying “come, come to dealership so we can work out a deal” to kill half of my day idly sitting at a desk while being watched by a panel of papal inquisitors.

2. At least one of two brokers I contacted on LH, Jed from @AutoNinjas , was good in following up when I was inquiring about MB GLE450e. We had few minutes of very candid conversation and I basically understood that with the things as they are at MB, I could get a deal/some discount, but I would still end up with lease payments I was not comfortable with for 70K+ car.

3. Autocompanion did not ignore me off the bat. They did follow up and even asked for my GLC’s vin number and miles after I informed them that I wanted base Macan for $901/mo max with taxes rolled in (at that point I didn’t care if they were going to find a $64K-$65K Macan for me). Only after I sent them the requested info they stopped responding.
    I assumed they just didn’t want to work with me, because they did math and figured they couldn’t deliver what I asked, but a week or so later they reached out to me again and offered a loaner for 16% off, with my car bought from me(paid off to MBFS) and with monthly payments in $800’s. I wasn’t interested in a loaner, so I once again sked for a new model quote (70K MSRP they have on a spreadsheet), with tax credit for my GLC. And I haven’t heard from them again until I posted that I already leased a new Porsche. So, with #1 considered (which basically means I don’t really care if there is something unlikable about me personally that prompts some brokers to ignore me, I can’t please everyone and don’t get paid by dealers or brokers when I buy/lease cars from them), the #2 and #3 tells me that it’s not as black and white as @Urussus suggested.

Both the Q5 and the Macan are built off the MLB platform, but only the Panamera and the Macan are built at Leipzig. Even Porsche has admitted that they are about 50% the same vehicle; most of the VAG parts are found under the skin but the DCT is an Audi unit and the engine is the VW E888. There’s no reason to reinvent the wheel for things like coil packs and whatnot, so off to raid the parts bin! Probably the most telling about how much the Macan is closer to Audi than it is to Porsche is that it is the only Porsche that doesn’t have a 5x130 bolt pattern. But it has to be a testament to the Porsche engineers that they can start with something so pedestrian and dress it up enough for people to feel like they don’t share a lot.

2 Likes

It becomes exponentially more difficult for brokers to deal with a trade in over a transaction that doesn’t involve one

2 Likes

Fair point. If I was a broker I would also pick the easiest to close leads.

Thank you for such detailed, excellent comments, good to know!

Yet again this is not a matter of opinion.

4 Likes

If you want to be particular about it…

carwow.co.uk

Capture5

2020 Porsche Macan vs. Audi Q5: Head to Head