Leasing Newbie - ID4 Offer @ $811/month acceptable?

For about $30 you can purchase a Model Y Long Range with $0 down/72 months. Or lease for around $708/mo, 36/10.

For an EV, I would go with a Tesla before a VW. I just think Tesla is so far ahead of anyone else in the EV marketplace, and Tesla’s Supercharger infrastructure is far and away better than anyone else’s. It will likely be years before Electrify America (which I think is VW’s) is at where Tesla is today.

Yes and maybe then you can get one of these which is basically a better ID4

Your reasons for not purchasing don’t make a ton of sense.

You can get a longer loan period so the monthly would be less and definitely a better rate since borrowing money is almost free right now.

You are already paying full sales tax upfront so there is no difference there as there is with other states and can’t transfer at VW lease (definitely not at $800/month anyway) so you are committing to 3 years no matter what.

Only drawback would be an accident that could impact resale value.

I would definitely broaden your search criteria unless you are willing to pay a significant premium for a v1 EV model.

Unless they don’t qualify for the federal tax credit, as stated.

1 Like

I didn’t see anyone point this out: dealer is listing a “discount” of $7,500 (its just rebates) and then they still have the nerve to double dip by adding the freight charge back. Usually that’s a trick they do when showing a significant dealer discount, not on manufacturer rebates.

4 Likes

Not acceptable in the least.

what would be the price if he made 1 payment and then bought the car?

And there are actual consumers who think $800+ a month for a VW is worth every single copper penny possible.

There’s probably much worse deals happening out there right now we’ll never hear about. Never underestimate the foolishness of an uneducated consumer…and the greed of a unscrupulous salesperson.

1 Like

Could he lease the car, make one or two payments and subsequently buy it to take advantage of the tax credit?

Yes you can but you’d be out the inception fee vs purchasing outright.

Possibly pay tax at 6% of the car’s value twice.

You can check Rodo to see what kind of deal you can possibly get. You may not get the deal listed on Rodo from the dealer that it’s listed with, but it will give you an idea of what you can get it for. Or you might just get lucky. In SoCal, I see a $46k MSRP ID4 listed for $550/mo, first month at signing for 48 months. Of course, taxes will be different in MD, but I think that if you’re really set on the ID4, you can get it for less than $600/mo.

Here is someone in SoCal that leased it for MSRP - Signed Vw Id4 Pro S lease

So $379/month for 36 month lease. $3,579 due at signing is a lie??

“Excludes tax, title, license, options, and dealer fees.”

Never ever trust an advertised lease deal from a brand or dealer. The only useful aspect is to check the incentives in the fine print.

When shopping for a lease, one should use the advertised deals as a barometer for what not to pay. For this is the way of the true hackr.

2 Likes

Quick math in CA, I normally add 10% for tax, tile, license fees…

I use manufacture advertised deal as a starting point. From my past experiences I was able to get better deals than manufacture advertised deal. Dealer advertising is tricky with a lot of hidden fees.

I know due to part shortage, it’s not the same, but the OP was offered $811, it’s just way off.

Gonna have to go much higher here, as the EV incentives are all taxed.