Leasing Newbie - ID4 Offer @ $811/month acceptable?

And there are actual consumers who think $800+ a month for a VW is worth every single copper penny possible.

There’s probably much worse deals happening out there right now we’ll never hear about. Never underestimate the foolishness of an uneducated consumer…and the greed of a unscrupulous salesperson.

1 Like

Could he lease the car, make one or two payments and subsequently buy it to take advantage of the tax credit?

Yes you can but you’d be out the inception fee vs purchasing outright.

Possibly pay tax at 6% of the car’s value twice.

You can check Rodo to see what kind of deal you can possibly get. You may not get the deal listed on Rodo from the dealer that it’s listed with, but it will give you an idea of what you can get it for. Or you might just get lucky. In SoCal, I see a $46k MSRP ID4 listed for $550/mo, first month at signing for 48 months. Of course, taxes will be different in MD, but I think that if you’re really set on the ID4, you can get it for less than $600/mo.

Here is someone in SoCal that leased it for MSRP - Signed Vw Id4 Pro S lease

So $379/month for 36 month lease. $3,579 due at signing is a lie??

“Excludes tax, title, license, options, and dealer fees.”

Never ever trust an advertised lease deal from a brand or dealer. The only useful aspect is to check the incentives in the fine print.

When shopping for a lease, one should use the advertised deals as a barometer for what not to pay. For this is the way of the true hackr.

2 Likes

Quick math in CA, I normally add 10% for tax, tile, license fees…

I use manufacture advertised deal as a starting point. From my past experiences I was able to get better deals than manufacture advertised deal. Dealer advertising is tricky with a lot of hidden fees.

I know due to part shortage, it’s not the same, but the OP was offered $811, it’s just way off.

Gonna have to go much higher here, as the EV incentives are all taxed.

Exactly. As long as they can find dumb consumers this trend may never stop. They may realize that that can continue to sell cars at msrp and higher and never have to deal with those looking for a few bucks off. About once a week now I get calls and emails from dealerships trying to lease me a new car, I keep telling them there is no new lease happening while your cars are selling at MSRP.

The manufacturer deals are never deals. It’s nothing but scumbags at dealerships trying reel you in with information and many many many many asterisks and little itsy bitsy fine print.
pink bouncing GIF by Anthony Antonellis

Agree. It’s barely a $400/mo car IMO.

tom hanks running GIF

2 Likes

Meh, you’re taking it way too personally.

National offers do vary significantly based on taxes, fees, registration, etc so it’s no surprise that they’d advertise the constants and leave the variables out.

The problem is that people just don’t bother to read the whole thing.

2 Likes

@AtomicDutchOven Of course I took the helpful feedback here into account and rejected the deal and will likely just wait around now…

Then again, I’m not sure if it is meaningful to say “it is barely a $400/mo” car when such a deal appears to be simply not available currently, and similar cars are also not much cheaper. The best deal I could find for the ID4 for 0 down 36 months and 10k miles was still >$650. I guess one can always wait for an economic downturn, easing chip/supply shortage… if conditions were so different just a few months ago, it will likely fluctuate again…hopefully

There are some vehicles where the perceived value and the offered leasing price don’t ever line up with each other.

2 Likes

That’s me on this one. I drove it and just didn’t care much for it overall.

1 Like