Leasehackr Stories: My $105 Per Month Mazda MX-5 Miata Lease

See how a Mazda MX-5 Miata lease ended up costing effectively $105 per month, thanks to soaring used car values and old-fashioned leasehacking!

Like these videos? Let us know your thoughts and feel free to suggest topics.

Interested in sharing your very own Leasehackr Stories? Reach out to @admins.

15 Likes

Gotta love the market. My truck was effective payment of. -$1,178 per month :joy::joy:

14 Likes

Fortunately looks like most of us got out before the captives could cut off 3rd party sales. Pretty happy with my $10/month Civic, it was a good first 19 months of driving.

6 Likes

Our Tiguan would have been $71/mo if the wife let me sell it to Carvana, haha. Unlikely, but if I could have bought it from VW Credit and sold it to Carvana within 10 days and avoided paying the sales tax, it would have been $25/mo.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, $31,500, $295 monthly in SoCal with $0 DAS.

Earlier in 2020 I used special pandemic 3 months deferral payments offer from Chase, when you skip payments but owe it at the end of the lease. I had the lease ending up in June 2021 so the surging market came in very handy. Buy out (with mentioned 3 payments rolled in already) was $18,800. Sold to Bidlane for $23,600 (plus they paid my 40 minutes Uber ride to home). I drove the car 35 months but only made 31 payments, minus $4,800 positive equity - I guess my effective monthly is $125 now. Not bad! Thank you, Leasehackr community!

In fact, it’s even better: the car had a significant dent with paint damage on the front passenger door (hit and run on a ski resort parking lot last winter). I was about to repair it through my insurance at the end of the lease but Bidlane purchased it as-is, I saved $1,000 collision deductible and avoided incident on my insurance history.

4 Likes

As a civic owner who also has mine for ~18 months, I ended up getting paid $42 effectively a month to drive it so I’m there with ya on the happiness level

2 Likes

Don’t let this turn into just repeating deals y’all have gotten.

Nice video, @michael . Well presented. Topics? Where to begin? You could turn pretty much anything in Leasing 101 into a video since we have countless reading-impaired visitors.

2 Likes

What car did you get to replace it?

Great video. I saw it this AM on my Facebook feed. How long until some random person sees this post somewhere and emails it to their local Mazda dealer to try and do better.

I’ve tried to tell a few people about selling their leases instead of turning them in. Most look at me like I’m trying to explain how to split an atom. Others have told me that they were way under their lease miles, turned in their vehicle and got a new 2021 higher trim for the same price or “only” $20 more per month.

2 Likes

Great story @michael would love to see more of these!!!

What car did you get to replace it?

Hehe nice to see my post inspired him to score a sweet hack!

Wish the market was as hungry to buy out my Jag for more than the residual.

I Love leasehackr.

2 Likes

I’ll take this deal! PM me the dealer info!!

4 Likes

Ended up leasing a Bolt EV ($0 drive-off, $205/mo) that I’ll drive until I find something more interesting. Probably the 2022 BRZ in a year or so – hopefully things will stabilize by then!

1 Like

If the value is below buy-out, there’s always lease swaps to reduce your effective cost. I hope to get some DAS on my cheap Bolt to drop the effective monthly in a swap once the market swings back.

Chase (JLR financial services) won’t let you swap a lease. Only with a third party bank (US Bank or Ally, etc).

3 Likes

Makes a slow life as a lease hacker if you have to wait 3 years between deals. I like my Volvo but the transfer policy may cause me to pick something else next time.

-$7500 a month to drive a brand new 2021 Corvette C8 HTC. How about that one :slight_smile:

You netted 7500 after one month or 15,000 after 2?

1 Like