Shortages Affecting Auto Production: Semiconductor, foam, etc

Seems so - another interview with a Fab CEO

4 Likes

Yeah this pretty much checks out with what I’ve been hearing in terms of lead time based of my what my family has told me. I’ve been hearing the same things, Chinese companies double booking chips due to trade war issues, and other companies leaving no capacity left for less complex and lower profit automotive grade chips. The optimistic side of me hopes it’ll be over by Q4 21, but realistically Q1 or Q2 2022 seems like the end goal at this point.

When foreign trade ministries reach out to the unofficial and unrecognized diplomatic lines, you know it’s not some joke or sales tactic.

2 Likes

To be fair, BMWs wireless chargers are trash. There’s reports all over bimmerpost about how it’ll overheat your iPhone and keep the battery at a constant level at best, discharging at worst. My M340i build was $65k+ and I chose not to spec wireless charger and piss away $500.

3er/4ers have been affected for a while now. Maybe X5 recently lost it but it’s sort of been old news for some other models.

1 Like

It would make mine overheat and CarPlay start bugging out from time to time.

2 Likes

Very true, and moreover, one that actually works.

Well documented over at Bimmerpost is the horrible performance of the actual wireless charger, with or without cases, regardless of the phone size and type. I can’t say if the antenna module actually helps with reception, but the charger itself is absolutely worthless imo.

Drove from Philly to Boston and got some 28% wirelessly charged in my G05 in 5 hours while using Carplay Maps; on the return, plugged it in and went from 8% to 100% while running Maps and Spotify.

Regardless, I’m throwing the same tantrum over the useless heated/cooled cupholders being cut from current builds so I definitely get the premise of it not being okay to have such reductions at this price point.

2 Likes

This won’t last much longer, anyone who got out did well, but looking forward the market is going to adjust significantly in the next months ahead. There is no way this trajectory of used car prices surging the way they have will continue. This is just a blip and an opportunity for most to take advantage of. Will be very interesting to see the quick reversals in this market unfold soon.

4 Likes

Depends on how much more inflation we get. Prices are going up, people see that and are willing to pay more of today’s dollars for goods that will cost more in the future. Hence used cars selling for over msrp

Most average consumers would be smart stocking up on staples. If your tooth paste is going to be 20% more next year, why not buy a years worth now. Same with papertlwels, dish and laundry soap etc.

No one has a clue what the future holds and we don’t have a free market that can just take care of supply and demand right now.

Only one thing is certain. The price of cars and almost every other good and service will 100% be going up in 2022 when valued in dollars.

From what I’m seeing, my customers are upset they’re paying double for their new leases, but when you NEED a car, what other choice do you have but you pay for it at today’s cost?

1 Like

really? what makes you say that? believe this will last as long as it takes supply chains to normalize and new car production to return to pre-pandemic levels.

also need to remember an often-forgotten source of the soaring used car prices: rental car companies buying up whatever they can to re-stock fleet vehicles, after dumping them last year for pennies on the dollar. in addition to the retail buyer, who is flush with cash, there is just too much end-user demand for car values to just collapse.

if you’re looking to find what would collapse (and likely should), look no further than crypto. At least a car’s value is secured by the underlying…

3 Likes

that’s actually true - over the past few months, this site has turned more from “give me an impossible deal” to “give me a fair deal after i got quoted msrp…”

5 Likes

I’ve also seen banks tightening up big time. When people get tier 2 and 3 and the monthly jumps $50-75/mo, They used to walk. Now they just seem to take it.

That could also be the flush with cash point you made. I wouldn’t say flush, but they def have more dollars then they’re used to for sure.

4 Likes

I ordered a M3 long range on 5/14 and i’m supposedly going to get it by the end of June. A Tesla rep i spoke to said that they have a bunch of cars that are stuck waiting on a firmware update, dived a bit further into this and it looks like they might remove the radar from their autopilot and rely on vision only. They even changed the wording on the website for this too, it doesn’t say radar anymore.

Or they could replace it with LIDAR, so it knows white box trucks are actually solids.

3 Likes

Elon hates Lidar.

2 Likes

One? They wish.

1 Like

Maybe I don’t know what I am talking about, but it seems to me Ford is the only one that didn’t plan well. The other manufactures seem to be short supply on cars that don’t have crazy demand, while Ford is sitting at the top with the F-Series.

1 Like

Wait… what? Toyota, I know for sure is in dire shortage.

3 Likes

LOL. Spring? Everyone’s foreseeing this til end of Summer!

3 Likes

I’d argue at least through December used car prices increase or at minimum stay flat. The IRS is basically advancing the tax refund of everyone with kids starting in July. In a consumer driven society, many people that see their monthly income jump find ways to spend it. I predict a run on all 3 row SUVs starting in late July, maybe even some $900/mn Pilots. If the tax credits aren’t approved for next year, I also predict a great many defaults/repos.

1 Like

Scroll up