Yup, like that. We are just collecting ideas, right … actually, I think at the end of the day, if the “crowd” (aka, the fine folks at this forum) wants to do this, I’m thinking it will be a project in 2 parts:
- Open source lease calculator - there is a lot out there already so maybe we can repurpose something
- Need ability to hook up to “database”
- Need ability to have an embeddable widget
- Developed on github.com openly
- Crowd-sourced data - this is the “google spreadsheet” idea but I think this data may need to have some basic UI (a little better than a spreadsheet) so updating it will not be so tedious. The end result is something like a spreadsheet. So the first couple of columns will be something like
jan 2017 dec 2016
MSD | residual | MF | miles | months |
- might be too ambitious as some data needs updating every month
- a well designed UI may make updating it simple so that the “common” parts can be grouped together in one field (like does Brand allow MSDs), you shouldn’t have to update all the MB models with “Y” as an example
- if the month rolls over, do we show the previous month data with an “asterisk” until somebody updates it
- how can we break down the effort without making it feel like work? Do we assign something do BMWs, somebody else does MBs, etc.
- how do we pick the most popular brands/models only, no point in building a giant database that nobody will use
- what is reasonable to ask a volunteer per month - 1 hour to do updates?
Business side: who owns this once this is built? The software is probably not too bad but the data may be valuable or not.