Kia Sorento Xline $267.78, $11.2k DAS - 36/10k

, ,

Interesting development here.

First of all, did you wear your NWU when you went back to the dealer?

Second, thank you for you service.

Edit: See you did wear that. I have to say, that’s maybe the most brilliant strategy I have ever seen to unf**k a deal like you did. BRAVO. Insanely clever.

6 Likes

DAS in the calculator should read $11200 DAS, not $11600, as the $400 incentive is showing up as a rebate on the contract being applied to the DAS.

I suspect that the delta here is due to any potential tax savings from the applied trade in. The LH calculator shows $1330 in taxes due. The contract shows $780. That delta isn’t far off the 6.6% of the $9500 trade equity.

1 Like

Great job op, I haven’t seen many, if any dealers, rescind an offer, signed contract before, the military uniform absolutely helped imo but so did your taking advice of the many smart minds in this forum.

I would give a nice review to the dealer, salesman, sales manager, etc for working with you.

Enjoy the car!!!

4 Likes

Yesssss thank you. That is exactly it. Good catch. That’s why I love this place, I am always learning! Michigan used to not have a trade-in tax credit. Now it is available since January 2021 up to $6000 but it is not applicable to leasing, only purchasing. ($6000 x 6% = $360, meh). So the smart play if applying a trade in a financing/purchase situation is to have them cut you a check for any equity over $6000.

Doesn’t help that Georgia taxes are particularly complicated in that there are actually two ways that one can calculate them (and the difference between these two is significant)… and they changed their lease tax laws in 2012, 2017, and again in 2020 (I believe I’m correct on those years. If not, somewhere close to that).

2 Likes

Ayyy, great job!

1 Like

Hey, dare I ask what happens to my other $1200 in down payment? Or were u saying the $1200 was used for the first payment and the $533 was used to pay principal etc

Just curious … why would this be different for insurance buyout vs 3rd-party buyout? In both cases, the car is being purchased from HMFS. Again, just curious, because I sold a Hyundai lease and pocketed $2k.

Sorry didn’t get to read the whole top portion of the thread, easiest way to find your effective payment is to add $1700 “cash due at sign” (Highlighted in the photo) plus $21,372.30 “total of payment” equals $23,072.30. just devide it by your 36 month term and you got an effective $640.89 Monthly payment :+1:

Yes at one point last night, I was able to get the numbers fairly close and I suspect GAs wonkey taxes and I do believe ur correct on when they changed the tax laws

Also I am well aware of the risks of doing this lease, with such a high down payment. At the end of the day I wanted a new vehicle. One that I didn’t want to pay $640 a month for. I am happy with my payment, that $9500 was money spent.

1 Like

Not sure the motivation. Here is what my Hyundai contract says regarding this:

2 Likes

huh. interesting they would limit that to insurance loss. Oh well. My gain. lol.

Not sure I am quite following. Mine says something a bit different

At the end of the day, the best price is the number that you as a customer are happy with :+1: Nice Job

2 Likes

don’t worry about it. I threadjacked a bit. Nothing to see here. Congrats.

1 Like

Could be some variation based on state. What I posted is the HFS contract from California.

1 Like

Congrats OP and enjoy your new ride! Glad to see you were able to improve on original deal. And thank you for your service.

5 Likes

Good to see that you were able to get some lube in this deal but I would probably just financed this car if I absolutely needed to have it. $640 a month for a Kia no matter how nice it is would never sit well for me personally. Enjoy your new ride.

1 Like

I think you quoted wrong person, but thanks for making it smoooooth :smiley:

2 Likes

Why? Do you really want to be on the hook for a Kia Sorento’s resale value?