KARR Security System (Jeep) Mandatory on Lease?

Looking for information here. Spouse Leased a 2019 Cherokee limited. They told her it was mandatory for lease for the Karr Security System (1650$).

This is 36M lease, but the paperwork states 5yr w/ Optional on it (doesnt make sense)
Not sure if anything we can do about it. Sounds like they just were trying to get more money from us. I was not there @ the dealership

Nope… these things are never mandatory. I took off the security from two of my purchases.

So basically she got tricked into needing it, and had to add 1650$ to her total? She was told cause she was a “new owner” cause she has not purchased/leased in 10 years.

Still confused why its showing 5 years since its only for 3 lease.

is the term purchase = leasing on here.

The term is scam, these guys are scammers. Leave them some reviews on yelp and google. You could also go in there and raise some cane.

Thanks. Was not sure cause it looks to be pre-installed, not sure if it was able to be “removed” when leasing. Even if not able to be removed, dont understand the 5 year vs the actual 3 years.

Was it a purchase with balloon payment maybe? Without actually seeing the docs, I don’t think anyone can answer why there is a discrepancy. What did the dealer say about the 3 yr vs. 5 yr?

See if you can get it canceled pronto

Post up the loan doc / details of the signed agreement. That is the only way anyone will be able to review the deal, and give you an answer.

They just deactivate it if you say you don’t want it. It was pre-installed on a Chevy Cruze I leased and they basically just put a SD card into the slot to activate the system and put a blank one in to deactivate. I had no interest in paying for it on a car with on-star (or any car for that matter). Seems like an odd business choice to install on all their cars but I’m guessing they must have enough people agree to the system to make it worth the installation effort. I got the keep the sticker on the window though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s such a 90’s early 00’s scam, but not surprising from an FCA dealer

I’ll upload Docs later today, currently at work. So this is what they told her now:. So basically the story I’m being told is the Finance guy ran the paper work or numbers or whatever based on a 720 credit. When he found out I’m 689, he said they can’t do that price for me so they added all that crap to keep the money factor based on tier . Something about a tier bump exception.

Still trying to figure out the why 5 years vs 3 years. She also had the GPS.

So one of her credit scores showed like 710 but the one I guess they went with was 685.

They also bumped up overall price of car? Need to verify this as I don’t have paperwork in front.
. Once again I didn’t go to the dealership my credit is horrible.

What was the money down and what is the payment?

A manager get often get people bumped into a better tier if they’re close enough. That’s just good business…benefit the customer at no cost to yourself.

Never heard of that being contingent on buying overpriced crap to give them more profit.

They are screwing with the MF to force the buy on the add on crap, is what it looks like to me.

330/36M/12k. 2200 down (trade-in)

Per prior phone it’s was 300 but based off the 720 credit, but when they ran it dropped to 689

It’s illegal if it’s true.

I had a F+I manager try to tell me my Tier 1 was contingent on buying a 3rd party warranty years ago in my 20s, not even the manufacturer warranty when I was signing. I assume there’s more profit in the 3rd party junk. When I pointed out that was highly illegal, and I’d have no problem walking, as well as contacting a lawyer, the contingency magically vanished and I had the original deal with Tier 1 again. It was a good deal at the time, but I never went back to that dealer again.

1 Like

Had the same exact thing happen to me. I believe this is pretty common once in the Finance office.

They offer the higher MF, but if you take the add on warranty they will lower MF, thus bringing the payment to the initial agreed upon value.

The 3rd party warranty is probably going straight to the bottom line. And, they lose nothing either way, unless they get caught.

Contacted finance at another dealer (Jeep) explained it all, even he said it would affect monthly payments, and that it’s optional.