Is BMW hurting?

As we all know, for much of last year we kept saying - no MSDs, all good BMW deals are behind us. Now, I am seeing:
a) More aggressive advertised deals from dealers
b) More “loaner” specials from dealers on leasehackrs
c) Costco program on BMW

is this the month of BMW lease hacking?
31%20AM
38%20AM

I know the 5 series is not selling well in the US from the previous model… These are good deals. M sport and options will be around 600 plus 0 down.

1 Like

Disclosure, baby. Disclosure, @vhooloo

Was that the movie where Demi Moore Raped Michael Douglas? Or the one where Robert Redford paid a million to sleep with her… I keep confusing those

I believe they have thrown every incentive under the sun in that quote and they will play slime ball tactics to tack on as many fees as they can bmwpeabody dot com

You ding bat - it is not my lease. It is an ad from a dealer - for those who can read, they can go and read themselves. If I was like chevyphil and posting my lease then you could tell me I am not being truthful…
Plus my point was more in the words, not the picture… I am asking is BMW hurting so much they need to run Costco specials???

3 Likes

Sure, but why didn’t you put the link as a courtesy? :grin:
And if your point was in the words, then why post pics at all?

I think you are right, they are hurting. Audi grew its sales almost by 8% YoY in CY17 while Mercedes kept it flat-ish (up 0.2% to be exact) while BMW lost almost 3%. I have a close friend who owns a BMW dealership and she says the number one goal communicated to the dealers by BMW corporate is to beat MB in sales volume and they are clearly falling behind on that one…

Audi is grow its sales because of the introduction of new models and successful redesigns. but they want to lead in the segment, (beat Mercedes and BMW) one thing the socal dealers are speaking with AFS about is improving the god dam leases.

2 Likes

Bmw is not hurting. The new 3 series is out next year and that’s their bread and butter. Their sales grew y/y and the suv’s are printing money. Gm and Ford, on the other hand…

“For the full year, BMW brand sales were down 2.4 percent on total sales of 305,685 vehicles compared to 313,174 sold in 2016.”

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/article/detail/T0277617EN_US/bmw-group-u-s-reports-december-2017-and-year-end-sales?language=en_US

1 Like

Can’t fudge the numbers. A loss is a loss…

I got about 9500 off my 540

2 Likes

The industry was down as a whole in 2017

https://www.bizjournals.com/businesswire/press_releases/2018/03/01/20180301006340

Mercedes sold 50k units (car and SUVs only) in the first two months of CY18, BMW is at 42.5k units sold through the first two months of CY18. To OP’s point, just two months into the year and BMW has some serious catching up to do already hence the aggressive rebates and incentives we are starting to see this early in the year.

Not to mention that BMW is notorious for making dealers punch cars at year end. Real picture is probably a bit worse.

FYI - Benz punches plenty of cars at year end. And they don’t rely on dealers for it.

Well there are more variables here. BMW can be doing fine but if the dealers are getting hammered that is another story. If the dealers have been screaming at BMWNA to do something because they are losing their shirts perhaps BMWNA has been revising programs to try and mollify them.

I haven’t paid close attention to what is and isn’t selling but if the 5 series is under performing and the dealers are sitting on tons of inventory then there are incentives for them to move them along. When the new 3 series gets announced you should also start to see efforts to move the remaining 2018 F30 platform cars.

If you want to get into a BMW and you are not too worried about having the latest and greatest there should be lots of deals coming in the fall.

1 Like

If that is BMW’s goal, there will be lots of desperate deals at the end of the month. Great news for leasehackrs …