Is BMW hurting?

Yes, BMW is hurting pretty bad right now. I used to work for a BMW dealership in 2016 - right before they cut MSD’s. Every month, we saw the the MF raise, when I started in March 2016, it was .00132. Then it went to .00135, .00138, etc. BMW started cutting lease support shortly after, and they butchered the CPO leases so that CPO’s were now more expensive than brand new cars to lease. The issue was, for a long time, BMW had the cheapest leases out of the Big 3 Germans, then MB also started giving great deals on better cars, and they lost market share. They really started feeling the pain when all of the lease returns started piling up in 2016-2017, which is why they raised the MF and lowered incentives, to make financing a CPO seem like a better deal. They’re just sitting on too many CPO cars right now that they can’t move because they inflated residuals, own them too high, and BMW FS doesn’t want to take the loss. They’re making dealerships buy X amount of lease returns based on volume that the store does so that they don’t get sent to auction and lose a ton of money. The CPO’s are sitting and not selling all that well, which is why BMW is hurting. So they increased prices of new cars to try and sell more CPO’s, but they just ended up pushing customers to MB and Audi instead. Now the dealerships are trying to play catchup by offering stupid deals because they need the volume to get bonuses.

1 Like

The consensus on Bimmerfest is that BMW decided to go with profit per unit as opposed to volume sales. You can see that by how their lease deals have gone away. If you look on Bimmerfest most say that the deal they got about 3 years ago, can’t come close now. Yea, there are some loaner deals to be had, but not on SUV’s. The X1 is selling better than previous models, X3 no deals. Even on the 5 series, when you add the options most want payments are in the $600/$700 range. A few years ago you could lower those payments with MSD’s and stackable offers.

2 Likes

I still think there are some good deals to be had. I had 5k in incentives stacked for my desk plus I’ll get another 1k from Bmw CCA.

I think the deals were better when MSDs were still available. Now its all about getting a huge discount off msrp + having loyalty + college/corp/other rebate for a fantastic deal.

Some areas of the country still have MSD’s. I just rolled mine over.

I have a $39k MSRP 3 series demo that I was able to get for under $300/mo (12k miles/yr) but I honestly think that’s a fair price for the car… it’s just not that special. It’s a good car… just not a great/wow car. They’re way overpriced vs their competition. Except for Audi. They’re just crazy.

2 Likes

I know many here will disagree with me, but I’m convinced that once Tesla is successful in their Model 3 ramp, deals on BMW are going to get much better.

4 Likes

MSDs are available only to those with current BMW lease accounts with MSDs to roll over to another BMW lease. No MSDs available otherwise…

1 Like

That’s what he said, no? He had MSDs and rolled them over.

Agree, however, the way it was worded made it sound like MSDs are available to everyone in certain areas of the country, not just those grandfathered in.

1 Like

The second part - “rolled mine over”, removes questions about the first part. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m hearing the same thing. My sales rep knows I want the X5 when it comes out this fall. She said X3 and 5-series were supposed to sell close to sticker and a few months after, BMW started taking several thousand off in rebates even before the customer negotiates a price.

She says that she expects BMW to be aggressive two months after the X5 comes out and that I should be able to get 10% off if I can wait until Dec-Jan. This is all one person’s perspective but I do think that BMW has taken second place to MB in the US and they are keen to take the top spot. MB has just really improved styling, service and is always cheaper on balance for SUVs.

1 Like

I’m tempted to pick up a lease swap on a car with MSDs in the deal so I can get grandfathered in

4 Likes

Not to nick pick, but no it doesn’t remove the question, he just states hid did so. That could imply someone else could as well, someone without MSD’s. So for all to be clear, MSD’s are only available in certain areas to current users of MSD’s. Since the program has been cut out, the number of leases are getting smaller with them, cut out most of the country and they get even smaller add to it that most consumers don’t use them, smaller indeed.

I agreed with @mp11477. Sorry you didn’t get it and had to write a paragraph about non-issue :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Do you think the new X5 will be discounted after a few months after being out? Reason I ask is I can buy a CPO ML 350 with 45K miles for $25K right now and ride it for a couple of years but am trying to decide whether to wait and buy/lease the new X5 given BMW’s need to be aggressive on pricing going forward? I am more of a buy and hold forever buyer but have become more interested in leasing thanks to all of the information provided by this forum.

Any thoughts appreciated!

No I got it, but wanted to make it clear to everyone else, since you were not clear :smirk:

Which dealers? I’m happy to consider a BMW for a lease, but frankly, their base and mid tier models have become uncompetitive.

The 320i is inferior to the Honda Accord yet costs 10k more. Drive both and you’ll see. I did and was saddened to see BMW thinks this is what we want.

The 330i is too expensive for what it offers. Poor value.

The 340i is good, but 49k base price with no options? C’mon. It’s overpriced by 8k.

Here’s the problem - BMW thinks it’s Hermes or Leica. It’s not. It’s a terrific brand that is damaging itself by creating cheapened (in every sense) products with it’s brand and badge.

4 Likes

The specialness of BMW is fading in a way consumers easily see.

2 Likes

Tesla is struggling to the point where they idled Model 3 production for several days in February.

Tesla’s issue is that Musk doesn’t understand what he’s not good at doing - the process of making cars. His ego won’t allow him to admit he’s making mistakes, so Tesla keeps making them.