Insurance during Covid-19

Our policy from State Farm is scheduled for renewal if it hasn’t already. Our agent contacted us for odometer readings recently so I emailed her this morning asking about the situation and whether we are getting a discounted rate for the reduced risk exposure. We’re already under 7500 miles/yr on three cars collectively since we both WFH. They sure do ask for odometer readings often at that level but with usage being bare minimum as it is, I’m not sure how much lower they’re willing to go.

Erie emailed out yesterday saying they are refunding $200million over the 12 states they insure. No details on %.

Also I imagine if you needed some body work done on any of your vehicles this would be a great time.

I called Geico last week to request a premium reduction. They couldn’t do it and suggested that I store it and register it as a PNO with the DMV.

Since that didn’t address the temporary nature of my request, I switched all my cars to Metromile, which is pay-per-mile insurance. Saved 24% off my premiums, even after accounting for the 15% refund Geico recently announced. Since I’ll be driving my cars a minimal amount over the next couple of months, I figured I’ll pocket the savings.

I’ve used Metromile before and had a great experience with a couple of glass replacement claims. The math made sense then and makes sense now. It’s too bad they are only available in some states.

Plan is to move back to Geico, with hopefully a lower rate than before, after I start driving regular miles again.

Disclaimer: the Metromile link is a friends and family referral link. I don’t work for them either. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I appreciate the honesty, people will so often link stuff, especially when it profits them, and not say anything and wait for my cookie plugin to show it. Being upfront is something I can’t say about 75% of youtubers who take sponsorship money.

Thanks for the link to Metromile. Unfortunately it is unavailable in CO.

Ok not reading this whole thread but Geico send me an email and dropping my 6 month by 150 bucks. I will take it for now.

They announced %15 discount for renewals between April and October. No action needed.

1 Like

Life Pro Tip: For those who haven’t tried it yet, and do their own shopping bi-anually. Try the Jerry app. They do it for you automatically and then, I think, send you an update when there’s a cheaper insurance plan available from another company. I don’t work for them so this isn’t an ad of any kind, but I believe they switched me over to Geico which was the cheapest option for me here in TX. Setup was easy and painless for the app. Honestly an A+ experience for the design and pleasantries.

https://getjerry.com/

2 Likes

Looks like State Farm is returning it in the form of a $2B payout. They say it’ll avg 25% for the average client. We’ll see.

I forget which article it was, but what’s really crazy about these ‘refunds’ is that their overall claim rates are down by close to 85%. So, you do the math here.

Just tried getjerry - it was pretty easy and it pumped out some pretty competitive quotes. None lower than my current one, but still a good tool to have for regular requoting. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

curious to know who you insure through now… and where. :face_with_monocle:

Geico cut ours about 15%. I expected more since I essentially went from 15k+ a year to less than 3k probably. Their cut is only for two months as well even though I let them know I am now permanent from home with my employer.

Geico in SoCal

Email I got 2 days ago didn’t mention anything about the discount being just through end of May.

COVID-19: Announcing The GEICO Giveback credit for our policyholders
Dear Ian,
As part of GEICO's ongoing efforts to assist customers during this unprecedented time, we are announcing The GEICO Giveback which provides a 15 percent credit to all auto and motorcycle customers as policies come up for renewal, between April 8, 2020 and October 7, 2020. This credit will also apply to any new policies purchased during this period as part of our commitment to protecting the well being of our customers.

My policy renews on 04/16/20 so I get credit for month and half?

From what I understood the credit will be for 15% of your total 6mo premium at renewal.

If you adjusted mileage before your policy renewal, the credit will be 15% of your “new” lower premium.

Once people start driving again and update mileage to their normal #s, the 15% credit at the beginning of the “lower” policy will be small relative to what the new premium is, which I’m assuming will be higher.

1 Like

Appreciate the suggestion: Jerry got me 17 quotes and only one saved me money: he can hook me up with Flo for $0.15/mo less than I currently pay. I will definitely suggest to others but not much help for me.

1 Like

It returned 12 quotes for me and Progressive was their lowest as well. It was still higher than what I’m paying w/Geico, though.

P.s. does that level of coverage not seem like overkill?

They may have a lot of personal assets to protect. You don’t want too little coverage, especially if you drive a nice car. I’ve heard stories where pains suddenly appeared when someone was picked up from an accident by a relative in a Bentley.

My business insurance requires I carry the maximums. The difference between 250 and 1000 deductible is 1-2/mo

Like our 45th president, I am a meager thousandaire.

1 Like