Insurance during Covid-19

Oh, gwad!..scammer’s paradise. Kudos to Allstate for teaching safe practices.

1 Like

Sorry, I misspoke. The link was to open my Allstate app, which then authenticated my login via face ID and then automatically enrolled me. So not totally a scammers paradise.

Changing it with Progressive changed it by $0 for me.

2 Likes

Geico did $50 on a 6 month payment.

Nothings free. They’ll just write it off, take the tax break and jack up rates 2x the usual amount next year.

3 Likes

Per my earlier post, what allstate is doing is a very good PR move, but is essentially a layup credit - they’re refunding premiums to reflect lower exposure, not lowering their rates.

This industry is highly regulated, so down the line my expectation is insurance departments will be scrutinizing rate increases closely, so i’m hoping they will go down or flat.

For those with GEICO, they just upped the ante.

3 Likes

I’m completely eating my words, and do recommend everyone reach out to their auto insurance company. I was on hold waiting to speak to someone at Geico for an hour yesterday and never was able to connect. I sent them a direct message through my account basically saying both of my cars are just sitting in the garage with seldom use for the next few months. I woke up this morning to the following response:

Hi dukes,
I am extremely sorry for the long wait time. Due to the current pandemic, we are experiencing longer than average hold times.
We appreciate your continued loyalty as a GEICO customer. Due to the impacts of COVID-19 on our customers, we will be crediting policies 15% at their next renewal. This is an automatic adjustment and no further action is required on your end.
We are also offering to review policies for customers to account for changes in how their vehicles are used during the time of the pandemic.
Due to your circumstances, we have updated your policy today. These changes are temporary and will apply until 6/30. GEICO will continue to monitor the situation and we will notify you before reverting these usage changes on your policy.
You can log into your policy at geico.com to view these changes.

I just logged in and noticed my premium dropped nearly $70/mo. I’m interested in seeing what happens come 6/30. Hopefully they don’t gouge me, but that’s pretty substantial savings for the next couple months.

Edit: clarifying that it dropped $70 per month, not per 6-mo. I posted about it on my blog, here.

1 Like

Dropped by $70 per month or 6 months?

1 Like

Per month, til June 30. We’ll see what happens when it renews in July.

I’m actually super surprised it dipped that much. Especially cause every 6 months when I requote, Geico is consistently hundreds cheaper (per month) than everyone else.

If you go in to billing / payment history it should show your next payment due. At least for mine it does and my 6 month renewal comes up on 6/3. Was able to find it in desktop, not mobile, however that could have been user error.

It was only down $64 iirc for the 6 month term, one vehicle, higher limits. I’ll check into current term though. Thanks for the dp.

Yeah, it isn’t showing anything beyond June for me. We’ll see what happens. But in the meantime, there’s definitely no reason not to reach out to your auto insurance company at this point. That’s some pretty major savings.

Mine went down 90/mo when I made the changes last week. My policy is renewing next month and was going to stay the same before making the mileage adjustments.

Wonder if the 15% credit will still be applied somehow.

Add Travelers to the list: 15% April and May

Same from Liberty Mutual:

“Personal auto insurance customers will receive a 15% refund on two months of their auto premium, based on your premium amount as of April 7, 2020.”

1 Like

Add Progressive to the list. I manage insurance and online billing for my dad, and I was just notified we will be receiving 20% of our MONTHLY April and May premiums back as a one time credit card refund as we did 6 month upfront. For us this means a 38 dollar refund off a 62/ month premium.

WOW!

All jokes aside, normal high coverage insurance for a 17 year old and a 62 year old for under 65 a month on a Nissan and a Volvo is a goddamn miracle.

Flo appears to have missed a Zoom meeting where all insurance companies agreed to refund only 15%.

1 Like

Your expectations of the Dollar Tree of auto insurance companies are unreasonably high.

1 Like

We have Farmer’s for our car insurance, don’t know what they’re doing yet.

We have Geico for our garage full of motorcycles. Their email said they were crediting 15% for policies that renewed after April 8. Our annually policy just renewed end of March. It’s for six motorcycles. Everyone that lives in Minnesota renews their motorcycle insurance in March.

I emailed them. Their response was just another canned email stating what it stated in first one. Only on policies renewing after April 8. Fuck them.

It’s also only a credit. It will be deducted off the next time the policy renews. Again, fuck them.

3 Likes