I'm talkin bout coffee

There’s some table top toasters on Amazon or the inter webs. It would be a tumble roaster which allows you too learn the art and science. We purchased and industrial toaster sell anywhere from 100 to 300 lbs a month.

Got it. If you don’t mind sharing your secrets, where are you sourcing your beans from?

You mean like this?

And this?

NTM numerous other times cars were listed at smaller markups like 1k, 2k, etc

4 Likes

They, by definition, are not gouging.

Selling over MSRP does not equal price gouging.

One may sell something for over MSRP and also be gouging (although you’ll have a very difficult time convincing me that selling a luxury good at any price can fall under price gouging), but not simply because they’re selling for over MSRP.

3 Likes

This is what I follow.

• Set aside 3 oz of ground coffee.
  • Set aside 3 cups of cold filtered water.
  • Unscrew the lid, leaving the mesh in the carafe.
  • Add a third of the ground coffee and then add a third of the water making sure all of the coffee grounds are wet.
  • Repeat with the rest of the coffee, a third at a time.
  • Twist on the lid and let it brew for 12-24 hours.
  • Hold down the button to drain the cold brew coffee into the portable carafe!

Honestly I’m too the point we’re I roast by sight, and smell. We source beans from a broker and buy 80lb bags. But we used to source from a co-op I will try to see if they are still accepting new members. You can buy smaller amounts from them.

1 Like

Best way to get started in roasting (the very definition of a rabbit hole) is the heat gun dog bowl method. Aka HGDB, teaches you heat application, agitation, endothermic and exothermic processes, and makes the beans brown. Some refine well enough to make the brew drinkable, but this is typically step one, to see if the rabbit hole is even worthwhile.

2 Likes

what kind of coffee are you using to make the brew? what brand/model of grinder did you get?

this article has some good info on brewers:

and this video is fairly informative:

there are some great resources on cold brew on youtube. i’ve got a friend who swears by the mason jar method.

and I thought I was a bit of snob buying local roasted beans…

Also, what’s the concensus on nespresso machines? I’m at a point in life…aka crazy busy with work/life where I don’t have time in the morning or throughout the day to heat up a kettle so I’ve been using the bonavita drip maker but rarely get through a cup or two a day

I dont recall what grinder i have, just that i made sure to get a burr grinder that would do a coarse grind.

Its been a while since I gave it a try, so i dont recall what beans i was using. A couple different varieties from publix, which im sure isnt helping.

I had a Nespresso for years, its good for fast, mediocre coffee. I currently have a Breville Oracle Touch (the non-touch version is exactly the same thing minus the touch screen), and it makes fantastic coffee. It does pretty much everything for you with the exception of moving the porta filter from grinding to pouring. While it’s certainly more expensive than a Nespresso upfront, it’s more or less break even over the course of the lifetime of the machine. Also, the milk frother function is great and it’s really easy to clean (self cleaning).

while its a good start this can matter quite a bit. not all burr grinders are created equally. i highly recommend Baratza. if you’re not huge on coffee you could get by with an Encore. their refurbished store often has deals.

yes as you know nothing good comes from publix.

1 Like

Yes it is a serious topic, especially when coffee is the first thing that goes into my system every morning and I rely on it to function as a normal human-being (coffee withdrawal is horrible).

I am far from a coffee connoisseur. I brew using V60 and order my beans online from Blue Bottle, Intelligentsia, and Verve. I am getting new sources from this thread!

I have the Baratza Encore grinder but haven’t been too impressed by its build/aesthetic. I almost prefer the Hario electric grinder I had while I was overseas just for its look and similar effect.

3 Likes

1 Like

I thought wagons could do everything but still

I started out with thrift store popcorn poppers, switched to a Whirleypop for more capacity, and now I have a Freshroast SR800 that does up to half a pound. Nice roaster with a small footprint.

I don’t see any espresso aficionados here? Have an E61 Quickmill and Mini Mazzer espresso grinder. For brew I alternate between a V60 and aeropress. Once had a siphon brewer but cleanup was too much effort.

Ethiopians are by far my favorite…floral and fruity.

5 Likes

Ditto, I used a little popcorn popper and switched to a SR700. The USB control helps me stay in coffee while being short on time/attention span.

How many hours/roasts would you say it took to develop that skill?

I used to have this exact setup until the pandemic hit and my intake went up and laziness went up in tandem. I wound up investing in this

and havent looked back (yes its the epitome of laziness). It even does a decent job with cold brew (has this funny drip process) and different coarse levels and strength for your beans. The only drawback is it only accepts one bean type and one ground type at a time…

4 Likes