I'm talkin bout coffee

Espresso dewd here. Vibiemme Double Domo (dual boiler) and Mahlkoniig K30 Vario grinder. Plus all the gear that came before. But of course do many other preps, Aeropress, Kalita Wave pour French press, etc. Daily coffee is Eureka Mignon and Bunn Speedbrew.

2 Likes

Upgrade that burr to the M2ā€¦same as the virtuoso. Grind was more consistent and fluffy with this burrset. Still, I had to upgrade(itis), and gave it to a friend. Months later, I was teaching him how to dial in. a coffee, and was re- impressed with the upgraded Encore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comments/887tba/m2_burr_upgrade_on_the_baratza_encore_is_really/

1 Like

Alright Iā€™ll be straight hereā€¦

I buy whatever whole bean I can get for cheap on Amazon, normally with a coupon and S&S (5+ items, of course). $3-$4 a lb and I grind it myself. Honey from Costco and lactose free milk boiiii

2 Likes

name checks out

2 Likes

I would say maybe a year into roasting and knowing the bean characteristics. Density, origin, elevation all play roles into how much heat and to which level to roast. Heating most beans through first crack is sufficient for any daily coffee. Sumatra can take all the heat you throw at it.
Itā€™s like anything once you know your machine, you learn all the ins and outs. We started cupping and adjusting temps to create signature flavor profiles. Also to narrow down origins of beans and discover our own blends.

1 Like

you put honey in coffee? this is an infamnia.

1 Like

I use Lavazza for my esspresso and leave a half tea spoon of manuka honey in it. Then a small amount of milk and ice. Strangely it comes out great. I look at it as better than sugar.

2 Likes

Same I use Manuka honey or agave nectar as well.

3 Likes

My Breville 870XL has been going strong for about 4 years now. Just changed the 54mm seal and did a thorough cleaning - itā€™s running like new.

Iā€™m loyal to Red Bird Coffeeā€™s Brazil Sweet Blue with some oat milk. Gotta start the morning right!

1 Like

For those that love to tweak out their pulls, you can get easy temp changes and pressure profiling on the cheap with a manual Flair Espresso rig, on sale 20% off through tomorrow. Pulled the trigger on the Flair58, since I already have a bunch of 58mm VST baskets and gear. Have had great service from the original Classic kit when they first launched, but ready now for the electrified upgrade.

1 Like

Zero coffee snobbery here. I donā€™t even really love it.

I havenā€™t paid for a cup of coffee that wasnā€™t accompanying purchased breakfast food in as long as I can remember.

I wonā€™t grind my own beans (OMG, messy), much less roast them (OMG, the effort).

Iā€™ll make a pot of drip coffee today and microwave whateverā€™s left a cupful at a time tomorrow ā€“ and even the next day if the pot still isnā€™t empty.

BUT swapping out my Target-sourced coffee maker with one of these has dramatically increased the enjoyment of the ground coffee I was already buying.

https://behmor.com/brazen-plus/

LOL! Joe Behm made himself a household name among coffee junkies by building the first easy-to-use coffee roaster, at an affordable price (with not a whole lotta effort). I built my own roasters for a few years, but then adopted and betaā€™d his machines and variants before moving to a small drum roaster (Huky). Joeā€™s a great guy, great support, and satisfying products. Great choice!

1 Like

My lab buys our coffee pre-roasted, but I brought some starbucks Sumatran beans that a friend gave me, and we have a Rancilio Silvia Pro.

Not a coffee snob at all, but caffeine is caffeine

Silvia V1 was my first pump machine (steam toys up to her), but I got tired of surfing her temps both for a proper pour, then to steam. She made you fight her for a god shot, which was quite rare. I eventually PIDā€™d her, which reduced the temp surfing, but other ā€˜newā€™ issues cropped up, mainly on her simple limitations, fixed preinfusion, and lack of clarity even in otherwise ā€˜perfectā€™ shots. Answer at the time was a double boiler, true Faema E61 brewhead.
Caffeine is indeed the most interesting of all acceptable drugsā€¦after 5 or so espressos, your brain enters a frenetic hypersensitivity where you arrange inputs on a lateral plane (aka ā€˜think laterallyā€™) and can sort through ideas and concepts in new, fresh ways. Still, you have to take long breaks between these sessions (caffeine burnout) and the attendant insomnia from abuse. I limit my intake to 2 doses a day, or Iā€™ll be dreaming three story lines at once, not counting me as the main observer of each. ā€˜Snobsā€™ seem annoying, but realize theyā€™re on their trip, are excited about it, and are caffeinated to preach about it for hours on end. It can happen to you too! lol

1 Like

We do have a PID, but no double boiler. But thatā€™s honestly moot, Iā€™m much more into tea right now. I have some great hong cha from Taiwan that my dad sent over and have a tradtl tea set and modern infusers. Not above making a good milk tea with bagged tea either on the fly.

That and the fact my meal plan can be used for RedBull and Starbucks means nice espresso is a situational drink.

Not needed! Dritan changed the microfoam landscape years ago, long before the current crop of Youtube stars ā€˜showing you the ropesā€™ of latte art.

Correction, just googled - it does have a double boiler, still am hopeless for latte art tho.

1 Like

Sure 'nuff! The Pro X is a DB! They added a PID, another boiler and charged 3X! I paid $450 for a brand new V1 in the early aughts. (about what I just blew on the Flair58! lol)

1 Like

Iā€™ve completely abandoned the idea that Iā€™ll eventually acquire or develop a taste for tea.

I just canā€™t do it.

1 Like

Didnā€™t read the thread, I make 2-4 lattes a day for me and the mrs, depending if Iā€™m teleworking or not. I have a Rancilio Silvia v5 (machine is circa 2019), with PID installed, and a new Eureka Oro XL grinder. I use Intelligentsia espresso beans, whatever is seasonal, delivered fresh after roasting.

2 Likes